Snuffle Mats

Forum Administrator

2 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

Do you have any examples?  My dog needs the stimulation.  He's like when my kids were young and I had to find something for them to do while I make dinner.

The snuffle mats can only be used with supervision. We put them in the crates at agility trials to keep the dogs from becoming bored.  
I have a million interactive ideas. Get an appropriate sized Kong. Put a piece of dog food in the little end as a plug. Put some vanilla yogurt in it and freeze. Give to dog but not on rug. Takes a long time for them to get out the yogurt. Kong’s are dishwasher safe. 

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I have that one and it is the best one I have found.  I had to switch to treats that are bigger than training treats because he was so good at getting them out.  I even had the one @Dirtyhip mentioned, but that one only lasted about 90 seconds. He picked it up and bit down and shattered the ball. I do the Kong and buster cube too. I've tried hiding snacks around the house, but he is too good at that and the game only lasts about two minutes.  

Scout is a Terrier mix.  The vet thinks he may be closer to a staffordshire terrier than a pit bull. He's not a malicious chewer, but he is strong. He can flatten a tennis ball with no problem.  He's probably close to two years old, but spent almost nine months of his first year in the humane society kennels.  I had all sorts of plans to get him into training, but two weeks after I got him, everything was shut down.  The only training places that are open now are the one-on-one places.  That's way out of my price range.  

He's not a bad dog....  He just requires a lot of work. I know that if I don't do this, he will become a bad dog....  and I don't want that.

image.thumb.png.e143536feeed6fa444bce68f47f0aaa1.png

He's great in a crate. He'll even go in there to sleep when he can be on the couch.  

Here's what has happened.  We got him at the end of February, then everything shut down in March. Then summer.  When my kids started school, they were only going two days a week.  Last week, they started going five days a week.  He has started being...  not bad, but not good either.  I really believe it is because he was used to having people around and not being in his crate all day long.  

I'm really looking for something for when he is out of the crate, but I can't focus my attention on him.  For example, when I am making dinner.  He does pay A LOT of attention to me if I am making something with cheese though....

• Heart 1