Ordered a new boat yesterday....

Green Grass

35 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How fun.  It's beautiful.  Open bow is really cool. Our old tournament boat was open bow.  

Sold my Malibu at the end of August.  It was an incredible boat, but I don't need a tournament boat anymore.  The Cobalt is bigger and will perform better on rough days.

8 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Sold my Malibu at the end of August.  It was an incredible boat, but I don't need a tournament boat anymore.  The Cobalt is bigger and will perform better on rough days.

It looks stable as heck.  Tournament boats on choppy water are an ass kicking.   Those boats were never meant for that.  BOOM, BOOM, BANG  :o I'd be like..."Is out boat going to fall apart?"  My husband would laugh.  

Awesome, enjoy!  I have been kicking the idea is another Whaler or even a small aluminum skiff with a tiller. I live close to the Newport Harbor and we took the Whaler out often.

Unlike many boat owners I didn’t regret the purchase and do regret selling it. I wasn’t even looking to sell it, I got an unsolicited offer too good to refuse...

44 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Merc  350 HP

Good life long friend owns a dealership here.  Chapparal and Cruisers Yachts are his mainlines.  Chapparal is a good boat, but not a Cobalt.  I have been impressed by Volvo, but the Mercruisers are incredible as well.  What outdrive?  

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Like the open access to the stern.  Very nice.

Is the swim platform hydraulic?  

Also, a cool feature is the seat back moves so you can sit facing forward or back.  The "shotgun" seat has that feature too.

The swim platform is fixed...it has a flip down step to make boarding from in the water easy, it's manual.

45 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Good life long friend owns a dealership here.  Chapparal and Cruisers Yachts are his mainlines.  Chapparal is a good boat, but not a Cobalt.  I have been impressed by Volvo, but the Mercruisers are incredible as well.  What outdrive?  

How has his year been?  I visited my dealer in early June.  He had a full showroom and lot of new boats.  Now he has a couple of Master-Craft's on the floor, and that's it.  He says that boat manufacturers are full on busy just building to order.  He's concerned that they won't be able to supply much inventory for the floor come the first of the year.

34 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

How has his year been?  I visited my dealer in early June.  He had a full showroom and lot of new boats.  Now he has a couple of Master-Craft's on the floor, and that's it.  He says that boat manufacturers are full on busy just building to order.  He's concerned that they won't be able to supply much inventory for the floor come the first of the year.

Greg has been busy.  Moved his dealership, opened another location and delivering lots of big boats.   The Chapparal 267 SSX would compare your new boat.  I know he sells alot of the bigger boats in that SSX line

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boat.php?id=574&action=tab_highlights

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Awesome, enjoy!  I have been kicking the idea is another Whaler or even a small aluminum skiff with a tiller. I live close to the Newport Harbor and we took the Whaler out often.

Unlike many boat owners I didn’t regret the purchase and do regret selling it. I wasn’t even looking to sell it, I got an unsolicited offer too good to refuse...

I've had boats all my adult life.  This is my fourth one.  If i lived where you do, I'd def have a Whaler.

It looks great. I hope the fun justifies the gas use!

My Brother-in-Law and I bought a 21' Tri-hull, cuddy-cabin, 210 HP inboard/outdrive boat with a 73 gallon tank in the late 90's when gasoline bought on the water was arounf $1.50/gallon.

If four of us went fishing - mainly trolling for Rockfish (striped bass) or running "trot lines" to catch Blue Crabs in the Chesapeake Bay - everyone pitched in $20 for gas and we had a grear time. We had small-propane-tank gas grill that plugged into one of the fishing pole holes. It was a lot of fun being able to go 35 to 50 mph on Bay, depending on how choppy the water was, to get to a location where the reports were forecasting great fishing.  My brother and I even took an 8-hour, lunch included, Saturday, community college course in catching rockfish from Bill Burton, now deceased but then a Baltimore Sun sportswriter and a top expert in casting, trolling, chumming and various line rigging for rockfish.  We each took about 10 pages of notes and benefited from that course a lot. We impressed our friends with fishing techniques and with catching a lot of legal-sized rockfish (which varied from a minimum of 17" to 21" at different times).

But, by 2008, gas on the Bay was around $5/gallon and it got too expensive and we didn't used it often enough, so within a couple yearswe sold the "Reel Busy" which we should have named "Money Pit."

But there were great memories and it was worth the experience!

• Heart 1

• 2 years later...