So I have reached a double contingency

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

A terlet flush mechanism needs work but the shut off valve is snot working. It is going to take some Sirius MacGuyvering to fix it without replacing it. Two problems. The little rubber hose has hardened so it pops off the fill valve and water sprays and splashes oot of the tank  instead of going through the hose into the center tube flush valve.  And it also pops oot of the top where it enters that tube because there is a flange that’s gets knocked off when the handle moves the flush valve tube up. The handle needs a stop. So I am afeared if I cut the tube it is so hard it won’t go back on the fill valve and I will be hosed( pun not intended but it works!).  I guess I should try to get a replacement plastic 1/4” tube if I can find the right size. I don’t know how I will fix the center tube problem. Maybe by getting rid of the stopper thingy that keeps getting knocked off when the handle opens the flush valve. Shit. 

Shut the water off to the house. Flush toilet..run water...remove valve and replace...(there is a valve that can go over the existing one...according to my maintenance people)..turn..water back on..bingo..you are done! Oops while the water valve is done..do a new flush valve...at one time my work maintenance did replace a washer and the little hose..cheaper than an entirely new flush/fill valve..but more time consuming...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Does the valve not turn.  I had that during my broken toilet fiasco when I needed to turn the whole house valve back on for a few days before the new toilet arrived.  My nephew in law who is an apartment super said use the slip joint pliers to very carefully rock the handle back and forth till the packing frees up the sticktion and then get brave and gently turn it open with the pliers.  Just a bit of a turn and suddenly it should work by hand.  I don't think that toilet shutoff valve had been move for a couple of decades.

Should

Have a backup plan incase the house starts to flood

• Heart 1

Loosen the packing nut on the shutoff valve before you attempt to free the seized valve stem. The chances are high that the valve will leak around the stem when you finish the job.

The refill tube kit is easy to get. Comes with the small parts you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Parts-Toilet-Parts/Toilet-Refill-Tube/N-5yc1vZc69lZ1z0xe9s

• Solution
3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

It’s a $5 valve that takes 5 minutes to replace.  

Ha! Famous last words. Imagine if you will a valve that needs replaced. The copper stub is so short that you can't just cut it off and you are worried that heating it with a torch result in a fire buried within the wall. The toilet supply tube will have to be replaced because the crimp connection has permanently deformed the tube. By the way, the main shutoff valve for the house leaks by and the toilet supply shutoff valve is the lowest spot in the plumbing system of the house. IOW, water will never stop flowing through the valve preventing you from heating the copper pipe sufficiently to flow solder. Should I continue?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Ha! Famous last words. Imagine if you will a valve that needs replaced. The copper stub is so short that you can't just cut it off and you are worried that heating it with a torch result in a fire buried within the wall. The toilet supply tube will have to be replaced because the crimp connection has permanently deformed the tube. By the way, the main shutoff valve for the house leaks by and the toilet supply shutoff valve is the lowest spot in the plumbing system of the house. IOW, water will never stop flowing through the valve preventing you from heating the copper pipe sufficiently to flow solder. Should I continue?

That is what is am  talking aboot!  I give the plumbing gods a wide berth. :D

Plus, it is hard to cover-up my red neck past. :D  So far I have gone for the stopgap solution of putting a twist tie around the tubing where it fits on the fill valve. For the drain valve I took the loose flange off it.  Might need electrical tape to secure the hose or jam some kind of shim in there to make it tight. . 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

No.  That's how houses used to be built before the cheap set in.

I will admit however that technology has changed many of the "old" ways.  These days I would never bat an eye at using braided flex hose to couple water to sinks, toilets etc.

It’s not that things cheaped.  The right way to supply a toilet is with a threaded fitting then a short 1/2” nipple up through the floor with a bezel and a 1/2” to 3/8” valve.  

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It’s not that things cheaped.  The right way to supply a toilet is with a threaded fitting then a short 1/2” nipple up through the floor with a bezel and a 1/2” to 3/8” valve.  

Have you walked through new construction lately with half sized lumber?  assuming that it's actually lumber and not stamped steel studs.

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Finished room. 

That sucks.. .  

Me..  I'd turn on the water to the home and replace the stuff in the toilet tank.   If possible, I'd also replace the line from the broken shutoff valve to the tank.

Once I needed to cut into the wall (the water came into the room via the wall) and then cut into the celling in the room below to replace a valve and a leaking pipe.  Copper pipes don't like some of the stuff in our water like sulfur. We had horrible water at the old home.

• Heart 1

I have a perfectly good terlit that my wife wanted replaced with a taller terlit. That one was only tall enough for a few months, then we went to the adjustable handicap commode that went over the regular terlit. Eventually she was unable to stand and became bedridden. Anyhoo you can have that perfectly good terlit if you want it. I thought about planting flowers in it but our yard is so private nobody would see it. That takes all the fun out of being a redneck.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have a perfectly good terlit that my wife wanted replaced with a taller terlit. That one was only tall enough for a few months, then we went to the adjustable handicap commode that went over the regular terlit. Eventually she was unable to stand and became bedridden. Anyhoo you can have that perfectly good terlit if you want it. I thought about planting flowers in it but our yard is so private nobody would see it. That takes all the fun out of being a redneck.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Ben-folds-your-redneck-past-lyrics

• Awesome 1