Damn! I am only 64 but sometimes walk like grandpa McCoy when getting up from sitting

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by 2Far,

knees or ankles?

Some years ago when I was still refereeing I developed some considerable trouble in the achilles tendons that required constant stretching.  After stretching I used to have to do about 4 laps around the soccer field before the game.  Each time I got up from a chair the first few steps would be painful.  Finally I took up walking every day, quickly and concentrating on rolling over the ball of the foot to get maximum stretch in the tendon.  About a summer of that and the problem finally went away.

7 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I've got knee issues. I'm especially reminded while crawling around on the floor fetching dog toys from under furniture. Luckily Mrs bought the heaviest, most overly built living room tables that I can use to lift myself up. 

You should see me when I crawl under the electric fence to feed the sheep. I pull myself up on the hay on the sled or in the cart. Life goes on!!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My ankles pop all the time. My knees sometimes. Arthritis in my big toe and a bit of plantar fasciitis. Sometimes the first steps of the day are pretty rough. 
However, there is something that says if you can get to the floor cross-legged and back up without grabbing anything, you are still good. So far, I can still do it..

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, petitepedal said:

:hapydance:you should hear my trainers comments when I sometime groan getting up from the floor...

Whatever you do..KEEP MOVING..stretches, walking, weights, whatever..the more you move (within reason) the body will loosen up and..yeah..keep moving

It's weird and makes no sense at all, but the only thing that keeps my knees from hurting is constantly being active.  If I don't walk, run, or bike for a few days, my knees hurt something terrible. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

It's weird and makes no sense at all, but the only thing that keeps my knees from hurting is constantly being active.  If I don't walk, run, or bike for a few days, my knees hurt something terrible. 

It actually makes perfect sense. Moving and being active is the best thing for your joints.  Current studies state that running actually helps the body lubricate the joints. 

• Heart 1

• Solution
12 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

knees or ankles?

Some years ago when I was still refereeing I developed some considerable trouble in the achilles tendons that required constant stretching.  After stretching I used to have to do about 4 laps around the soccer field before the game.  Each time I got up from a chair the first few steps would be painful.  Finally I took up walking every day, quickly and concentrating on rolling over the ball of the foot to get maximum stretch in the tendon.  About a summer of that and the problem finally went away.

Yeah, I used to walk like Will Sonnett until I got assigned to the project this year. +10k steps a day has cured what ailed me. 

• Awesome 1

65 and I have my days.  Sunday was one of them after over taxing the back on Saturday.  About once a month I wake up with a very stiff back - walking a bit hunched over.  A few stretches help.  A few more stretches helps more.  If I keep moving and not sitting wrong it's good to go.  I was doing fine by mid-late morning.

17 hours ago, groupw said:

It actually makes perfect sense. Moving and being active is the best thing for your joints.  Current studies state that running actually helps the body lubricate the joints. 

Long distance driving - say more than an hour - is now becoming the thing that bothers me most.  Open highway where I can set the cruise control helps as I can periodically flex my leg & knees or reposition in the seat and stretch my back a bit. 

Sitting is just plain shitty for us :( and I do that a lot as part of my work day.  Luckily, at home, I drink a lot of water (so get up to pee a lot) and my pup pesters me for attention and walks as well. 

18 hours ago, groupw said:

My ankles pop all the time. My knees sometimes. Arthritis in my big toe and a bit of plantar fasciitis. Sometimes the first steps of the day are pretty rough. 
However, there is something that says if you can get to the floor cross-legged and back up without grabbing anything, you are still good. So far, I can still do it..

My ankles pop sometimes, more often than my knees.  From time to time gout in my right big toe. Sometimes the first steps after sitting for a long time pretty rough. 
However, there is something that says if you can get to the floor cross-legged and back up without grabbing anything, you are still good.  So far... I used to be able to do that.  I haven't tried in a while. I don't want to find out, I can't do it anymore.