If you could ride in the TdF, would you?

Square Wheels

Let's say a team offered you a spot, not as a domestique, but some new category like tag-a-long.  You would not be disqualified for time (this only applies to you) as you would surely never make the cut off.

I'd try one stage, but I don't think I could ever build up the strength and endurance to do the whole thing.

What is mind boggling is while this is a tough and big race, this is just another event on their calendar.

I think it would be interesting to see how far back a mere mortal would finish.

I figure I'd be with the peloton for about 5 minutes, then I'd be riding solo the rest of the way.  There is a strava segment on my way to work, it's about 2 miles and -1%.  There are almost 3000 people on it and the guy in the lead did it at 27.9 mph.  I did it at 24.8.  From what Paul and Phil say the peloton typically travels at 27 or so for their easy pace.  That seems impossible to me, but then I'm not a professional racer.

when I was a CAT 5, the lowest amateur racing grade there is, the pack travelled at around 25 mph

funny thing is that in the middle of a bunch of riders like that you can almost stop pedaling and roll right along with them

I was also in a crit where my Garmin showed me riding over 30mph for 10 solid minutes while I was trying to get across a gap

27.9 mph for 2 miles over a negative grade is candy. I could still ride that now

That's why I say, if you are curious and would like to compete, don't do those stupid Internet challenges. Go buy a license and go ride the open categories. I never expected to win or even do well, I just wanted to participate. Riding a bike race with 110 riders in it is pretty cool

If you can ride 25mph by yourself for about 10 minutes, you have all the legs you need to try it out

Really?  There are close to 3,000 people on the segment.  

big steep hills makes big sprinters. That's basically a 4 minute interval, and on a -1% grade unless I'm in a stiff headwind, yea, even now I think so

just because there's 3000 people doesn't mean anything. If it really is a 1% negative grade on the whole 2 mile stretch 28mph isn't out of the question at all for me, even now

Let's say a team offered you a spot, not as a domestique, but some new category like tag-a-long.  You would not be disqualified for time (this only applies to you) as you would surely never make the cut off.

I'd try one stage, but I don't think I could ever build up the strength and endurance to do the whole thing.

Not with that attitude, you couldn't!  Argue for your limitations, and you get to keep them.  Plus, you have really fast wheels (maybe).

I would definitely do it under those conditions!

It's truly amazing how fat men behind keyboards can be so fast. :rolleyes:

That was eloquent.   :(

So, from another riders perspective, on a flat road, riding alone, not sprinting for the finish, but let's say you were riding the middle part of a 100 mile stage, what speed would you be able to hold for 2 - 5 miles?  Again, riding alone.

That was eloquent.   :(

So, from another riders perspective, on a flat road, riding alone, not sprinting for the finish, but let's say you were riding the middle part of a 100 mile stage, what speed would you be able to hold for 2 - 5 miles?  Again, riding alone.

I didn't realize 28 mph on a negative grade was so fast to you guys that you have to be like that

So, from another riders perspective, on a flat road, riding alone, not sprinting for the finish, but let's say you were riding the middle part of a 100 mile stage, what speed would you be able to hold for 2 - 5 miles? Again, riding alone.

Sorry, but when I smell bullshit, I call it out.

I was just looking at a route that az_cyclist does before work, and on it there is a 3.5 mile -1% segment. His best average speed is 27.9 mph, my best is 24.3 mph. The 10 fastest riders are 31-34mph.

When I ride this segment I never really try to crank it up because it's almost 60 miles into 80 route I use. The next time I go through that segment and it's not windy, I'll see what I can do.
  • Heart 1

Do I get to choose the brand of riding mower or lawn tractor I am on?  Is there a horsepower, deck width, number of cutting blades restriction?  Are zero turn radius units allowed?

Also, if I am found to be using fast release nitrogen, will I be penalized?  What about phosphorous.  I know lots of places are outlawing or restricting phosphates right now.

I was just looking at a route that az_cyclist does before work, and on it there is a 3.5 mile -1% segment. His best average speed is 27.9 mph, my best is 24.3 mph. The 10 fastest riders are 31-34mph.

When I ride this segment I never really try to crank it up because it's almost 60 miles into 80 route I use. The next time I go through that segment and it's not windy, I'll see what I can do.

I can appreciate that, but seriously...ok, probably right now today with tendonitis in my knee, probably not but even in my state of fitness this year as compared to when I was racing, I think I could still pull 28mph over 2 miles on a -1% grade

I just know that I can crush false flats, and if the ground is rolling with me, forgetaboutit

that really isn't fast for that short an interval on a negative grade and you know it

I think there's something else about that section wheels isn't telling us, like it points strait into the prevailing wind or it isn't -1% the whole way or something, but if its 3000 recreational riders, that doesn't really mean that much, does it?

No one is taking the wind into account much in this discussion.  A good tailwind and -1 should make most people pretty fast, even me.   :)

this is what I'm saying. that road must point right into the wind or something

if you have the wind at your back and the ground falling away from you and you can't ride 28mph for 2 miles, there's something wrong with you

this is what I'm saying. that road must point right into the wind or something

if you have the wind at your back and the ground falling away from you and you can't ride 28mph for 2 miles, there's something wrong with you

wind definitely changes things.

The segment I mentioned is heading to the SW into Phoenix from Cave Creek. When I ride that area it's always into an afternoon headwind of 10-15 mph.

The suggestion in the original post is not something I would want. It may be cool to ride the Tour de France course sometime, on my own or with a friend or two, but not during the tour itself. 

For me, cycling is not about racing and the competitive side of cycling simply does not interest me. 

• Heart 1

On longer rides I am 30 or 35 miles into a 35-40 mile ride when I hit that section.  I would not hope to maintain 27+ at that point.  FTR, I ride that 12.4 mile workout how I think a time trial would be ridden, or more less all out (except for stops at traffic lights).

I maybe forgot to mention, this 2 mile stretch is on the bike path.  It's narrow, has a couple of overpasses, which are more narrow, and other people to get around.  I've tried it on a couple of mornings and so far, that's as fast as I can go.  It starts and stops at an intersection, so you're essentially starting from 0 and need to stop fast (or just crash like RR).  It's also not the smoothest road around.

Not trying to justify my slowness, just sayin.

You couldn't do the equivalent of about 24 centuries, some of it in the Alps and the Pyrenees and on cobblestones, in a three week span?  WTF is wrong with you?

ok, so its not as strait forward a section of road as you first said

so can you accept that I can ride 28 mph for 2 miles down a false flat on an open road and that your 3000 other riders don't mean I can't because you are comparing apples and oranges?

you dickrests say what you want about keyboard courage and all that

I know what I can do with a bike, and I say come visit when my knee's better or fuck off

so can you accept that I can ride 28 mph for 2 miles down a false flat on an open road and that your 3000 other riders don't mean I can't because you are comparing apples and oranges?

I know what I can do with a bike, and I say come visit when my knee's better or fuck off

I hope to be able to ride with you, and many others from this site, someday.  It would be an honor.  I mean this sincerely.

The description of the segment was correct. 

You guys are all way off track from my OP, but here is the segment I mentioned.  I'm currently at 68.  I am not working next week, so in a couple of weeks I hope to get in to the top 50, maybe better.  I think Strava makes mountains out of molehills, both up and down.  It looks like you could roll down this at 25+.

http://app.strava.com/segments/5148326?filter=overall

So, SW, how fast do you ride the segment in the opposite direction?  What is the wind like?

There usually isn't wind.  In "the other direction" has other factors.  It's on the way home, and I already rode 30 miles earlier, plus worked all day.  Plus, and this is huge, the path is full of people, animals and people acting like animals.

On the way home I probably go 15 - 18.

Nate, I'm sure you can do it because you are an exceptionally talented man.

Um, NO.  Because they don't allow women in the TdF and I wouldn't want to be stuck doing that much road for a month.  Ick.

I will say that rolling in a huge peleton was fun up at an MS150 with George H. at the front.  I do believe that Nate is full of kaka, because I was in the middle of the pack and I was pedaling like hell to keep the monster pace they had going.  You can't just coast along, because you are in the middle of the peleton.  It was cool being the only woman in a pack of 30 guys.  Great moment in time for me.  I will never forget it.

• Heart 1

Why do you do this, Nate?

I've been riding on and off for over 25 years and I don't think I've ever been in good enough condition to ride a typical TdF stage - i.e. ~120 miles with a few categorized climbs.  Honestly I don't think I will ever be able to ride enough to get there.  I'd love to ride the roads themselves, but I'd feel like a damned idiot riding in a stage.

28mph for 2 miles on a slight downgrade?  I'll have to try this - if I can find an uninterrupted 2-mile road that fits the criteria.  I am pretty damn heavy, so on a downhill gravity is definitely my friend.  When the road goes back up, my friend turns on me very quickly.  I'm in awe of the riding skills of almost all of you.