Speaking of Great Lakes

team scooter

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How come they are not an everyday topic here?

When you grow up next to the lake and had a apartment next to the Lake it gets to be no big deal. When the coal ships came into harbor we lived a few blocks away and it would wake you up at 2AM when they blow the ship horn.

I check the Duluth Harbor cams from time to time, but now that winter has arrived, I've been monitoring another lake cam. ;)

And being its Friday, this just happens to be my favorite family style Friday fish fry place of all time too. :wub:  On a regular (non covid) Friday, that lake would be wall to wall sleds come 5 PM. :nodhead:

https://youtu.be/eCJwEHZNyX8

6 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I check the Duluth Harbor cams from time to time, but now that winter has arrived, I've been monitoring another cam. ;)

And being its Friday, this just happens to be my favorite family style Friday fish fry place of all time too. :wub:  On a regular (non covid) Friday, that lake would be wall to wall sleds come 5 PM. :nodhead:

pretty damn cool!  How long does it take for a lake to freeze up where you can ride on it like that?  Never happens in Texas.  

11 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I check the Duluth Harbor cams from time to time, but now that winter has arrived, I've been monitoring another lake cam. ;)

Soo locks are just about ready to shut down.

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

pretty damn cool!  How long does it take for a lake to freeze up where you can ride on it like that?  Never happens in Texas.  

This year it happened early up there, early December I think. They're safe to ride when they put the traffic barrels oot to mark the trail that crosses the lake. If you look past the island, that's the Michigan/Wisconsin state line. Our lake here in SE Wisconsin is froze over, but I'm sure its not safe. It just hasn't been cold enough down here. Check this cam in a month or so to check oot our snowmo club's bikini snowmobile drag races. They have an ootside tiki bar and everything. :whistle:

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

I live equidistant from lakes Erie and Ontario. Erie freezes most years in 2nd half of January. Ontario never freezes - too deep at 600 feet. 

15 hours ago, team scooter said:

This year it happened early up there, early December I think. They're safe to ride when they put the traffic barrels oot to mark the trail that crosses the lake. If you look past the island, that's the Michigan/Wisconsin state line. Our lake here in SE Wisconsin is froze over, but I'm sure its not safe. It just hasn't been cold enough down here. Check this cam in a month or so to check oot our snowmo club's bikini snowmobile drag races. They have an ootside tiki bar and everything. :whistle:

Similar in Michigan. People cross from the UP  (St. Ignace) to Mackinac Island which is aboot 5 miles. I'd like to fat bike that some year. And there is (I think) a bar setup located at the half way point :D Few years ago I seen some peeps on Strava do it.

edit:

• Heart 1

Whereas I live near the Bow River that does...partially freeze over but no one dares to walk over. It's glacial water river that runs lovely turquoise blue year round ..water drains from the snow melts and tumbling down over 100 km. north of us.  The river has a personality with some strong undertow currents in parts.  People near home, have fallen through ice annually and have to be rescued or they drowned.

Fire station in our neighbourhood is equipped with the fire dept's. rescue motor boat and specialized crew who do this type of victim water and ice rescue. Not all our fire stations are equipped with this type of specialized staff and this equipment.  The firefighters haul boat along bike path to get to the river boat launch..

• Heart 1