Does Anyone NOT Have Wi-Fi?

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

And, if so, how are you connected to the Internet?  Solely through your phone? Through your own high speed internet (like a cable modem) but only using CAT5 or similar? Your neighbors' wi-fi? The library or other local hot spots?

One of the things discovered during the school at home sessions was that there are a lot of people (mostly poor) who indeed do not have wifi at home.

There were programs here to get it to them.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

One of the things discovered during the school at home sessions was that there are a lot of people (mostly poor) who indeed do not have wifi at home.

There were programs here to get it to them.

Are they hanging in the Cafe?????

But, yeah, that's a pretty big gap between the haves and the have nots.  Likely many have access through a phone, but data limits, lack of laptops, and/or the ability for multiple kids to learn separately simultaneously is a big problem.

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There was once a US President who had a goal of all homes in the country having access to a high speed internet connection. I believe this was one of his proposals that was never fully embraced by the Senate.

• Heart 1

My parents didn't.  My Dad used to plug the computer into the phone line and then you couldn't call them.  One year for his birthday we got him a wifi hotspot and a small laptop so that he could actually use the computer on the back porch where is where he spent a lot of the summer.  When my Mom moved to the apartment, she got wifi as part of a triple play package because she wanted the phone and cable tv, but I don't think she realized it.  She was shocked when my niece and nephew came down and were using the wifi one day.

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have no wifi, I connect thru a modem directly. My phone connects to comcast wifi. Why do I need wifi? I have one computer.

A laptop usually is paired with wi-fi.  Likewise, many cable modems come integrated with wi-fi.

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I only have desktop

WoGB's computer is a desktop (that's what she wanted) it is connected to our network via wi-fi.    Our printer, my laptop, the smart TV and our 2 cell phones are connected via wi-fi.  

I didn't have to run cable all over the home.

The stuff directly connected to the router; security system, streaming receiver, 4k blu-ray/dvd player (for updates) are in the same 'electronics closet' with the router and cable box and the DVR for the living room. 

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

WoGB's computer is a desktop (that's what she wanted) it is connected to our network via wi-fi.    Our printer, my laptop, the smart TV and our 2 cell phones are connected via wi-fi.  

I didn't have to run cable all over the home.

The stuff directly connected to the router; security system, streaming receiver, 4k blu-ray/dvd player (for updates) are in the same 'electronics closet' with the router and cable box and the DVR for the living room. 

I only have one desktop PC, and no other smart devices, except phone. My phone uses Verizon data, or Comcast wifi.