Wilbur countdown?

Randomguy

48 minutes ago, roadsue said:

It was thanksgiving there a while ago. Do you suppose he roasted a turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes? I doubt he baked pumpkin pies. Probably something with less sugar, like tapioca pudding.  

I made a pumpkin pie for my husband this week and he told me it was the best pumpkin pie he has ever eaten.  Maybe he lied...not sure.  My crust was really good.  I am really figuring out how to make it really flaky.  

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How many posts will Wilbur have to make up when he comes back?

Most of his posts seem made up.  Are we trying to assign a percentage to him?  Say 90% are made up, 10% based in fact?  Gotta start him out again with some hope of weaning him from the lala-thinking of the past several years!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I made a pumpkin pie for my husband this week and he told me it was the best pumpkin pie he has ever eaten.  Maybe he lied...not sure.  My crust was really good.  I am really figuring out how to make it really flaky.  

Do you use super chilled butter? My crust is very flaky when I use lots of very cold butter. When I use shortening, it sucks. 

Just now, roadsue said:

Do you use super chilled butter? My crust is very flaky when I use lots of very cold butter. When I use shortening, it sucks. 

I use this recipe from the California culinary academy.  It is half butter, half shortening, a 1/2 tsp of vinegar, some sugar and one egg yolk.  It is easier to work with compared to a standard pie crust recipe.

I chopped the butter, and dropped bits of shortening in the flour (both were almost frozen).  Then, I busted them up with my fingers, like flattening out the butter chunks in the cold flour.  You whisk the egg yolk quickly with some ice water and the vinegar.  Rest for an hour in the fridge and roll out.  I follow the tip of never rolling off the edge of the pie circle.  I freeze my board that I roll on. The last crust had lots of layers of very flaky bits.  

Pie has always been my trouble spot in cooking, until I found this recipe. My husband's favorite dessert and it took me 25 years to learn to make it.  It was always the crust that messed me up.  

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Right? 
I don’t have a cold marble board to roll out the crust, so I put my crust into the fridge in between working with it. 
I’ve seen recipes with vodka instead of vinegar. 

I have that epicurian cutting board.  I tossed it in the freezer.  I do like you and rest in the fridge too.  You can see the butter chunks in the dough before I roll out.

I want a marble rolling pin.  <dreams>