And you thought I was bad at retirement

BR46

Wo46's last day of work is this Friday. 

One of the reasons she wanted to work till October was that she would have 42 years of service. 

She's retiring Friday but agreed to fill in for someone who will be off for the month of December and January. We were planningon going to Georgia for thanksgiving and staying a few weeks but that will be cut short because she will be going back to work. She has only been able to get the Friday after thanksgiving off once in the last 42 years. In the last 42 she was never able to get 2 weeks off in a row... company policy. The months of November and December were blackout dates....no one can have off. The week before and after Memorial day, 4th of July and Labrador day were blackout weeks. ...no one can have off.

I don't understand why she is so dedicated to a company that would have your job posted before your obituary hit the newspaper. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Does she like her coworkers?  Sometimes people can be loyal to individuals, even if they know the company overall isn't especially loyal.

A few of her coworkers have been working together for 35+ years. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

A few of her coworkers have been working together for 35+ years. 

When I hear this, I feel "young" even she may be close in age to me. I feel like a diletatte / butterfly floating around.

The longest I've been with any employer is 14 years but years split between 2 govn't ministeries, next is decade where I am, then ..3 yrs. etc.

She has some probably good habits in terms of daily friendships. Meanwhile some of us are friendly hermits at work.. maybe that's why ending up as a butterfly...

48 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess RR was right, that not everyone can handle retaarment. 

The funny thing is she didn't retire yet and already agreed to return to work for a few months. 

I can't talk her into doing that stupid. 

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm doing really well at retirement. About the only time I think of work is "those poor bastard" for those still there. I get an email or two a month asking me to work at least part time and the money is pretty good. No thanks.

I have no worries that retirement will not be challenging for me.  The challenge is more "how can I get to retirement faster?" rather than "what will I do in retirement?" 

If anyone wants to make large contributions to the "Razor's Edge Early Retirement fund", please IM me!

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, BR46 said:

She has only been able to get the Friday after thanksgiving off once in the last 42 years. In the last 42 she was never able to get 2 weeks off in a row... company policy. The months of November and December were blackout dates....no one can have off. The week before and after Memorial day, 4th of July and Labrador day were blackout weeks. ...no one can have off.

We get a lot of holidays off, but we never got Labrador Day off :(

On my evaluation every year, the one consistent complaint is vacation time.  I like my pay (but sure, give me more!), but I'd love more time to take vacations. 

13 hours ago, BR46 said:

Wo46's last day of work is this Friday. 

One of the reasons she wanted to work till October was that she would have 42 years of service. 

She's retiring Friday but agreed to fill in for someone who will be off for the month of December and January. We were planningon going to Georgia for thanksgiving and staying a few weeks but that will be cut short because she will be going back to work. She has only been able to get the Friday after thanksgiving off once in the last 42 years. In the last 42 she was never able to get 2 weeks off in a row... company policy. The months of November and December were blackout dates....no one can have off. The week before and after Memorial day, 4th of July and Labrador day were blackout weeks. ...no one can have off.

I don't understand why she is so dedicated to a company that would have your job posted before your obituary hit the newspaper. 

Have you let the church know you have availability for November through January?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

They already know 

No... you need an intervention...  You are retired.   Work on you motorcycle, etc...   

20 hours ago, BR46 said:

In the last 42 she was never able to get 2 weeks off in a row... company policy. The months of November and December were blackout dates....no one can have off. The week before and after Memorial day, 4th of July and Labrador day were blackout weeks. ...no one can have off.

I probably would have retired sooner with those kinds of restrictions about vacation.   Once I was going for a 3 week vacation.  My boss asked me "How do I get in touch with you for any problems.?"  I got upset.. and told him "What would you do if I was dead?  That's what you do for the next 3 weeks."   I didn't get fired...  

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 2