Cooking question.

maddmaxx
Go to solution Solved by maddmaxx,

I'm doing a brased pork roast in apples, onions and sauerkraut for dinner tonight.  It's supposed to cook for 70 minutes in a wide bottomed dutch oven at 350.  I don't have a dutch oven that we want to use in the oven.  What will happen if I brase and cook everything on the stove top and then transfer it to a foil covered baking dish for the time in the oven?

https://recipecenter.stopandshop.com/recipes/211810/braised-pork-and-sauerkraut

• Envious 1

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm doing a brased pork roast in apples, onions and sauerkraut for dinner tonight.  It's supposed to cook for 70 minutes in a wide bottomed dutch oven at 350.  I don't have a dutch oven that we want to use in the oven.  What will happen if I brase and cook everything on the stove top and then transfer it to a foil covered baking dish for the time in the oven?

https://recipecenter.stopandshop.com/recipes/211810/braised-pork-and-sauerkraut

You might loose some liquid if it’s not wrapped tightly but I would think it would work.  

Why don't you want to put your Dutch oven in the oven?  That is a primary purpose of the vessel.  In the oven, a dutch oven heats all around the food-- the top, sides and bottom warm evenly and the heavy material holds heat.  IF you don't use it, I would suggest a Corning Ware casserole dish with a  glass lid.  Foil covered would be my last choice given that it reflects heat away., items often stick to it, and aluminum can leach into food.

• Heart 2

Our one real dutch oven is actually an enameled Pumpkin that I don't think womaxx wants me to used in the oven (but we might anyway).  My other choice is not really a dutch oven but rather a large pot with cover that has some non metallic inserts in the handles that I'm not sure are good in the oven.  I do have a large deep dish pan with matching cover that I used (uncovered) for the baked mac and cheese last week that I might use again depending on how much stuff has to go into it.

• Heart 1

• Solution

It was great.  I've never been a big sauerkraut fan but the apples and the onions tamed the taste and everything cooked down into a pleasing mixture to go with the pork loin roast.  I added just a tiny dash of salt and it was perfect.  No pictures but it looked like the one in the menu above.  The meat was very tender.  If you are afraid of the amount of onion don't be.  Use a large apple or even two medium ones.

Try it.  You'll like it.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It was great.  I've never been a big sauerkraut fan but the apples and the onions tamed the taste and everything cooked down into a pleasing mixture to go with the pork loin roast.

Awesome!

I like sauerkraut - by itself - in small portions, but there is a reason it is paired with certain foods rather left to stand-alone.  It seems the pairing worked well, and since it is a "traditional" sort of pairing, I am not surprised.  Similar to why it goes well on a brat with mustard and a tasty bun (and a beer)!