Where do you stand on Daylight Savings Time?

Olas Nah

I know, it's an odd subject to bring up from me, after a super-long hiatus where I occasionally pop into this group once a year, but I'm just curious how cyclists feel about it with respect to how it impacts their riding. 

With Covid19 in place and me working from home, I get the luxury of riding during the daytime unlike when I was going into the office and I had to wait until dark to ride, or not at all (usually I would just all but quit cycling except on the weekends during the winter), but certainly this situation wont' last, and I'll get angry about the time change again... 

What say you? 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Olas Nah said:

I'm just curious how cyclists feel about it with respect to how it impacts their riding. 

Since I retired, I can ride at anytime of the day. So DST doesn't affect my riding.   

Cold affects my riding more...  The older I get the less I like to ride in the cold.  WoBG and I just take longer walks with the dogs now.  The dogs are probably wishing for warmer weather. 

And for the record... I NEVER liked the time changes in the fall or spring.  We should select a time zone and live with it, no time changes.

• Awesome 2

28 minutes ago, Olas Nah said:

I know, it's an odd subject to bring up from me, after a super-long hiatus where I occasionally pop into this group once a year, but I'm just curious how cyclists feel about it with respect to how it impacts their riding. 

With Covid19 in place and me working from home, I get the luxury of riding during the daytime unlike when I was going into the office and I had to wait until dark to ride, or not at all (usually I would just all but quit cycling except on the weekends during the winter), but certainly this situation wont' last, and I'll get angry about the time change again... 

What say you? 

I am 100% with you on this.  Even working from home now as part of the COVID era, my cycling will drop off as a result of the shorter days and the robbing of Peter (evening) to pay Paul (morning) nonsense :(

I have lots of lights and am used to commuting in the dark during the winter months, but that's not really my kind of "happy" road biking.  So, I'm sure the riding will taper off, just maybe not as dramatically as normal years.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Riding in the AM is less fun than riding in the PM.  It is a cycling fact!

Yeah, don't love night riding so much.  Things come up fast, and there are big mean cats out there in bushes.  Shine your lights that way and all these glowing eyes peer back at you.  :blink:

• Awesome 1

My dislike of daylight savings time is on par with my feelings for candy corn. Work of the devil and best avoided. I hate it more in the Spring as unlike @Razors Edge, I like riding in the morning. In the winter, it’s dark. I ride with lights. Closer to March, the eastern sky gains light each day, signaling the approach of Spring. Then, WHAM! It’s dark all over again for another 30 days. DST sucks and should be kicked into an unmarked grave in a god forsaken place.  YMMV.

I prefer daylight savings time during the summer since it stays light around here until almost 10:00.  When I was working from the office, I could get a ride in after dinner.  Since I am work from home and I have no commute, riding after work is pretty easy.

I am indifferent to the time change.

I am fond of DST.  Going back to Standard Time is no big deal, I just put lights on the bike.  I actually enjoy those cold clear dark nights rolling through the farm fields on my way home.

But working from home, my bike rides are morning only, though I may move to  lunchtime as it gets colder

I prefer it to be light in the evening, after work.  Practically, there's not a huge difference for me at this time of year, riding wise, as it is already dark by 6pm now, my usual evening ride start time.  If it gets dark at 5, or eventually 4, there's not much difference.  In the spring, I'd get more daylight at the beginning of the year if it was DST all the time, and once DST does kick in, it's a major difference going from lights for all but the very beginning of the ride, to lights only for the last few miles.

So, my vote is to have DST all year :D

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Olas Nah said:

What say you? 

First off, screw you for going away and shirking your posting duty, hang your head in shame and may dog have mercy on your soul*.

Second, DST is the work of the devil*.

My riding is pretty much over now.  Yeah, I can say I am gonna ride in the cold, but I stopped that years ago because riding goes from enjoyable to miserable once it gets below 60 degrees.  There is a new exponent of misery for every 5 degrees of temperature droppage from 60.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I prefer it to be light in the evening, after work.  Practically, there's not a huge difference for me at this time of year, riding wise, as it is already dark by 6pm now, my usual evening ride start time.  If it gets dark at 5, or eventually 4, there's not much difference.  In the spring, I'd get more daylight at the beginning of the year if it was DST all the time, and once DST does kick in, it's a major difference going from lights for all but the very beginning of the ride, to lights only for the last few miles.

So, my vote is to have DST all year :D

Several New England states, your and mine included have been investigating moving to an adjacent time zone as we are near the edge of ours.  At least that's what I've read.  I guess we are closer to the eastern edge than the western.  That change would be the same as full time dst.

47 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

because riding goes from enjoyable to miserable once it gets below 60 degrees. 

I don't try to ride if it's below 45, but around here (TN) most days that's usually the high even at the peak of winter. It means I can't go out in the mornings or evenings, but the daytimes are decent. 

I worked out a reverse layering system with my jersey/gear where instead of having a beefy riding jacket, I instead wear three layers, one is a windproof jacket, and then I have a heavy insulated underarmor shirt, and then if necessary I'll wear a basic underarmor body fit shirt under that. Seems to help deal with my changing temperatures as I start a ride and then get well into it. 

With gloves I start out with Lobsters on, then switch to some lighter weights once my body temp is up as well. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I honestly could give a rip.  But if I was out in the middle of the desert with a shotgun at my back, I'd probably say I prefer leaving the clocks alone.

Interesting you mention being in the middle of a desert...the state of Arizona remains on standard time all year. 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, groupw said:

seen any good movies?

You know, there hasn't been much released lately that I've even bothered to watch. 

I saw 'The Outpost' about that Korengal Valley firefight or whatever, but it seemed to be a rehash of a "Medal of Honor' episode about the same event, and the Prime/episode version was just better in telling the story, although just marginally. It's hard to really tell a good story about a 30 minute firefight that ends with America just blowing the hell out of the Taliban with air support as usual. Heroics aside, just goes to show our overreliance on Air Support in those theatres. Those guys needed either not to be there in the first place, or to have had more dedicated support. Men died essentially for no reason. 

I suppose I also finally got around to watching the Guy Ritchie movie 'The Gentlemen', but it was a bit slow in pacing and seemed to lack the snappy dialogue of his other films, but fun all the same. Colin Farrell was really good in it, especially with some of the situations his character was in. Funny. 

Oh... last year I went to see 'The Lighthouse', which had atmosphere of an incredible even mythical nature and then some, but the lovecraftian aspects really end up falling flat and the ending was fairly disappointing. Still, great acting by both Dafoe and the Twilight guy... Pattinson. I'd say you watch the first half (til the storm arrives) and then just bail on the rest of it, and let the mystery be the 'ending' for you. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So where do you stand on DST? For, against, hoping for a modification?

I have no stand. It’s dark and cold on the way to work at 6:30 am for most of the school year. When I ride my flat pedal commuter, I don’t have shoe covers for my street shoes, so I put sandwich baggies over my toes and wear wool socks. I have show covers for my bike shoes, but I don’t like riding my road bike with a backpack for my stuff. I prefer using the rack and panniers on my commuter. I ride home at 3:00, so it’s light pretty much all year. I see a lot of riders out after it gets dark no matter what time of year. Summer rides on the 3-speed at dusk are one of my favorite things. 

• Heart 1

Starting the day in the dark is kind of cool, watching the sun come up, feeling the air warm, catching the buzz of life warming up.

When I was commuting on bike I left the house shortly after 5:00 am, it was usually dark, and I enjoyed the ride. Country roads, very little traffic, critters galore, a (relatively) clear mind unfettered by the fuckery of the day. A farm I passed often had cats laying in the road soaking up the heat of the asphalt, the first couple times I spooked them and a shadow on the road got up and ran was an eye opener.

Having the lights go out when I'm trying to get something done after work sucks. 

I would bias the light toward evening. Which I guess means keeping DST.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Further said:

I would bias the light toward evening. Which I guess means keeping DST.

Or tweaking the time zone. There is no reason we can't pick the time that works best and stick with it.  If it boils down to "what about the kids?", I say we just make the kids deal with it!

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My riding is pretty much over now.  Yeah, I can say I am gonna ride in the cold, but I stopped that years ago because riding goes from enjoyable to miserable once it gets below 60 degrees.  There is a new exponent of misery for every 5 degrees of temperature droppage from 60.

Rules 5, 9, and 21 might apply here if you go with the manly man rules!  #10 applies if you have become a soft, high maintenance California guy!

• Heart 1