Youtube - Argh!

Razors Edge

53 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'll pull the details for you tomorrow morning. We can talk then. Maybe @Rattlecan knows something?

I dunno, I'm still a pretty small fish in the big Youtube pond.I really don't know if the big players are treated differently when it comes to compression codes or whatever the heck that is.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I looked at your videos. I see you have a new camera with significantly higher resolution. :)

Image3.jpg.ad5544907c4429f9bc1fadacafbeabcf.jpg

Youtube will play whatever resolution you feed it assuming you have the band width to carry it. My selection is in "Auto" and comes in @ 480p. Have you watched your videos on your smart TV?

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I looked at your videos. I see you have a new camera with significantly higher resolution. :)

Image3.jpg.ad5544907c4429f9bc1fadacafbeabcf.jpg

Youtube will play whatever resolution you feed it assuming you have the band width to carry it. My selection is in "Auto" and comes in @ 480p. Have you watched your videos on your smart TV?

That particular camera is a GoPro 8 that CAN shoot 4k, but was shooting 1080.  The "new" quality is the forcing of youtube to use the "better" vp09 codec during processing rather than the avc1 codec.  Youtube, for minnows like me, uses the avc1 by default for any video 1080 and below, BUT if you save your 1080 video as a 4k video, it will trick it to use the vp09 codec (slower for them and more processing effort).  But still, no matter what I do, the quality between 1080 on my computer, and the file up on youtube is OBVIOUS and not a good thing :(  I just can't figure out how to make the youtube video (despite a 1080 claim) to actually look like 1080 (as I can easily see on my PC).

It is mainly the motion blurring that is just such an annoying thing to see in a video :(

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is mainly the motion blurring that is just such an annoying thing to see in a video :(

Those are compression artifacts.

YouTube publishes submission guidelines for bitrates etc.

The VP9 codec is a Google invention that improves compression without such a severe loss in quality. It is my understanding that's what they are going to use in all the files you send to YouTube. It's a policy. They used to use AVC like what comes out of your cameras. The last time I looked, it was rare to see a software encoder for VP9. Pros use dedicated hardware.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vp9+codec&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS856US856&oq=vp9+codec&aqs=chrome..69i57.3566j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What do you want to do?

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

What do you want to do?

I want to figure out how to get rid of those blurred artifacts.  I have a "clean" and smooth source video, and I have no idea how to get it onto youtube so that it is encoded and displayed in a similar clean and smooth fashion.

I had hoped it was as simple as getting the newer codec to be used during the upload and conversion, but that's not happening.  Clearly, there are a ton of "high speed" and action videos up there that are crystal clear in 1080, so I just don't get what needs to be done to achieve the same results.

I'd think it would be a well documented process from youtube - ie "for best results, use this template" sort of thing - but I don't see it that way, and the internet is full of ideas that turn out to be years and years out of date. :(

Here are the items stored by YouTube of the high resolution sample you supplied to them:

explorer_2020-10-30_20-18-34.png.ec47b4f5751d241f6d862440ad942440.png

A couple of things.

Do you process your videos? Like through an editor, etc?

You can never add higher quality to video after it leaves the camera. This is because all the information available is in that file.

I doubt you can 'trick' YouTube into doing something they don't agree with. 

14 hours ago, donkpow said:

Do you process your videos? Like through an editor, etc?

Four variations:

• straight from the device - usually 1080 mp4 - a block of video usually either 5 min (Cycliq) or 4 gb size (GoPro). (see example below)
  • a simple trim using Microsoft Pictures app to slice off some time at the front and/or back
  • an edit using VSDC editor
  • very occasionally the Garmin VIRB editor software.

I may try the GoPro editing software, but haven't yet.

You can never add higher quality to video after it leaves the camera. This is because all the information available is in that file.

Yep - I get that and with the GoPro, I might just bump it up to 2k or 4k from the current 1080.  I have felt the 2k and 4k were overkill for me and youtube, but may go with the "better to go high and downgrade than be stuck at 1080".

I doubt you can 'trick' YouTube into doing something they don't agree with. 

The tricking is solely to get youtube to use the vp09 codec during processing rather than the avc1 codec. I had hoped that would help with the motion blur :( but it didn't.

My goal is simply take a 1080 video from my laptop and get the same sort of 1080 quality on youtube.  I am perplexed why that is not also youtube's goal.  It really ought to be a simple "upload a video with xyz specs and it will be as crisp and lovely as the original".

I'm having serious network problems and can only get get a few minutes of access a day. Can you find the current YouTube submission guidelines and encode your videos to fit with ffmpeg? Vimeo touts themselves as high quality video sharing, if you want. Try that to see, at least.

60fps 1080p looks better.

• 2 months later...