How about a nice Hawaiian punch?

Randomguy

Or any punch?  Or Kool-Aid?

I was looking two weeks ago for fruit punch for RO (and me) because I don't remember having it for 35+ years and decided that she should have a taste as a cultural reference point, never having been exposed to it and all that.

We went to several nearby grocery stores and I saw two contenders only.  One was the cheapest of the cheap, the first ingredient  other than water being HFCS, and the second being just plain old corn syrup.  Hard pass.

The second contender was juices boxes for hippie kids, all fruit juice and no other sugar.  It was deplorable how little it tasted like anything.

Thanks Obama.  :angry:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Or any punch?  Or Kool-Aid?

I was looking two weeks ago for fruit punch for RO (and me) because I don't remember having it for 35+ years and decided that she should have a taste as a cultural reference point, never having been exposed to it and all that.

We went to several nearby grocery stores and I saw two contenders only.  One was the cheapest of the cheap, the first ingredient  other than water being HFCS, and the second being just plain old corn syrup.  Hard pass.

The second contender was juices boxes for hippie kids, all fruit juice and no other sugar.  It was deplorable how little it tasted like anything.

Thanks Obama.  :angry:

How hard is it to buy the mix, add a crap ton of sugar, stir in water, and call it a day????? WTF are you messing this up for RO?

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yeah, it did have a crappy flavor. Like the can it came oot of!

No. It has to do with a house party I had in Va Beach where I started drinking screwdrivers, ran out of orange juice and then drank vodka and Hawaiian Punch and then.......and then ran out of vodka and had a couple of scotch and Hawaiian Punch to finish off the evening.

The next morning I had a golf date with the guys.  I made it through the first hole and they dropped me on a bench where I stayed till they picked me up before the 18th.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

No. It has to do with a house party I had in Va Beach where I started drinking screwdrivers, ran out of orange juice and then drank vodka and Hawaiian Punch and then.......and then ran out of vodka and had a couple of scotch and Hawaiian Punch to finish off the evening.

The next morning I had a golf date with the guys.  I made it through the first hole and they dropped me on a bench where I stayed till they picked me up before the 18th.  

So you would agree that golf is the problem, right?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WTF???? Amazon? Walmart? Are you nuts? 

image.thumb.png.98dd0b8b29f952e720813a467d794047.png

Who would order from Walmart?  That company is even worse to everybody than Amazon!

I might see about ordering some from Amazon, but I really don't want bulk.  I want enough to make a quart of kool-aid, which would probably be enough to hold me over for a number of years.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Who would order from Walmart?  That company is even worse to everybody than Amazon!

I might see about ordering some from Amazon, but I really don't want bulk.  I want enough to make a quart of kool-aid, which would probably be enough to hold me over for a number of years.

What, 12 packs and Prime is too much for you?  Pri-Ma-Donna!

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Go down to the grocery store and spring for a Mio water flavor capsule.  Start with something simple like Strawberry Watermellon.

What kind of yuppie nonsense is that!  And SUCRALOSE!!!  He's giving it to RO, not some leader of the Russian opposition party!

image.png.a50ce5056b5a907e6d3d9a9ba8fc7007.png

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

the first ingredient  other than water being HFCS

I try to avoid HFCS.   My gout and HFCS don't get along at all.  

You probably DON'T want to look at the ingredients for any junk food from the 60s, 70s, or 80s.  It's a miracle we are still alive.  

22 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I try to avoid HFCS.   My gout and HFCS don't get along at all.  

You probably DON'T want to look at the ingredients for any junk food from the 60s, 70s, or 80s.  It's a miracle we are still alive.  

I don't think there were many frankeningredients in the 60's, but that all went to hell in the 70's.  Early drinks had good wholesome natural sugar!

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I don't think there were many frankeningredients in the 60's, but that all went to hell in the 70's.  Early drinks had good wholesome natural sugar!

Netflix has a documentary about the first person to test processed food way back in the day. He found all kinds of non-food in canned goods, chalk in the milk, and chemical additives. There’s never been a time in the history of packaged food that it’s been clean.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

So you never had a Twinkie in the 60s? (or 70s, or 80s)

I always despised Twinkies.  It is a crime for anything remotely cakey to not have gobs of icing, I could never figure out why anyone would have a twinkie instead of Zingers or those orange-looking cupcakes.  Twinkie consumption is emblematic of a childhood gone wrong.

Mom bought the dry packet Kool-Aid, put in about half the sugar and that's what we got. 

FWIW - Kool-Aid was invented about 20 miles from here. Hastings has a Kool Aid Days celebration every year (except this one) that includes a group ride. Hope it's back next year...

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I always despised Twinkies.  It is a crime for anything remotely cakey to not have gobs of icing, I could never figure out why anyone would have a twinkie instead of Zingers or those orange-looking cupcakes.  Twinkie consumption is emblematic of a childhood gone wrong.

I like Snowballs. Especially when they’re pink. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, groupw said:

Mom bought the dry packet Kool-Aid, put in about half the sugar and that's what we got. 

FWIW - Kool-Aid was invented about 20 miles from here. Hastings has a Kool Aid Days celebration every year (except this one) that includes a group ride. Hope it's back next year...

We drank pre-sweetened root-beer flavored instant. I think it was a Safeway brand. It wasn’t Kool-Aid.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I just remember the advertisement, we were a kool-aid house.

There's an aftertaste to Hawaiian punch that sometimes feels like it leaves a skin on your teeth.

Totally recommend Kool-Aid powder. Multiple flavors, too.

• Heart 1