What is the most useless thing you still have memorized?

Airehead

For me probably. Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally. 

Mostly because it can be wrong. The problem with PEMDAS is that it excludes the "from left to right" requirement for multiplication and division (#3 below) and addition and subtraction (#4 below). Students, as a result, think multiplication always precedes division and addition always precedes subtraction. This explains why students in the above example said 4 - 2 + 1 equals 1 rather than 3 (i.e., they simplified 2 + 1 first rather than 4 - 2).

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I believe the timing was something like 6° BTDC at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected.

I recall 10BTDC.

When I moved from my old home my timing light, and dwell meter were finally sent to the no longer needed tools bin.  I made a lot of money working on cars in the early 70s.  Paid for some of my college bills.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I recall 10BTDC.

When I moved from my old home my timing light, and dwell meter were finally sent to the no longer needed tools bin.  I made a lot of money working on cars in the early 70s.  Paid for some of my college bills.

I just saw my dwell meter and timing light yesterday. It's been decades since I've used them. 

39 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I just saw my dwell meter and timing light yesterday. It's been decades since I've used them. 

I saw mine yesterday too. They are in the third drawer of my base cabinet and the mice had made a big nest in there and had little one in there. I evicted them.

24 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Give

Dimond 777 51   There were no area codes when I was a kid. When they first gave out codes it was 412 when cell phones came out they changed ours to 724

• Heart 2

Well, this is not exactly useless knowledge. It's metaphoric :  the word bra in my Chinese dialect translates as "fish net"....ok imagine fish wriggling inside.

Sorry, was that useless knowledge/imagery appropriate?  I'm serious, that is the word we've always used. It's acceptable in our dialect.

See,  :rolleyes: I taught you some useless knowledge which you wouldn't use..well, unless ...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

American Jurisprudence 2d..is an encyclopedic digest that's online and covers principles of American law with citations to key court cases. All areas: constitutional, civil, criminal and administrative law.

Black's Law Dictionary is the premiere law dictionary in the English language world.

As you may know the Oxford English Dictionary....online is beyond its original 12 volume set on etymology of word..definitions with examples of use.  Yes, British spelling is preferred in that volume. It is the scholary dictionary if studying in English literature at college/university..all eras:  medieval and onward.  It is incredible to see the history of a word and if it has changed in meaning /spelling over the centuries.

I did recommend each of the 2 above for researchers... judges and lawyers do quote from those sources.

• Heart 1

If you see little rabbit amulets/charms outside a Shinto temple in Japan..that is symbol of fertility. 

In Kyoto we found a 900 yr. Shinto shrine inside a Buddhist temple compound area.  When I was there, I was confused...and later found out, why I was.It was Buddhist site, which got taken over by Shinto worshippers.  

Kinda like a Catholic church that might have Islamic artistic decorations...in certain parts of Spain.

• Heart 1

For some reason I can recite the serial number from my 45 I carried while on active duty. 1817743. It also had the rack number of 29, “back of the rack” as the armor would always say as it was 29/30 slots on that rack of 45’s. 

Not sure why those sequences of numbers stayed in my head for 35 years...

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Well, this is not exactly useless knowledge. It's metaphoric :  the word bra in my Chinese dialect translates as "fish net"....ok imagine fish wriggling inside.

Sorry, was that useless knowledge/imagery appropriate?  I'm serious, that is the word we've always used. It's acceptable in our dialect.

See,  :rolleyes: I taught you some useless knowledge which you wouldn't use..well, unless ...

xiexie ni

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Beam me up Scotty... 

I tried to get the plate number NCC-1631 for my 93 Dodge Intrepid.  You can't get that number in Illinois.  

The funny thing is l was never a trekkie or a big fan of the tv show. I don't even know why I know that. 

• Heart 1

One night at a trivia contest, the guy next to me on our team is kind of a walking encyclopedia of trivia. He knows way too much crap. Then the question.... What was the name of the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey?  Our team was stumped...   crickets...   You don't know the name is HAL9000??   How could you not know that??

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1