Your personality- have/would like to change something?

shootingstar

So i did this self test on my personality. More about current personality type and our capacity to change. Here's an excerpt:

Don't you think as one enters into their 5th decade and onward in life,  effort to make conscious, good change you want for your own behaviour, diminishes?  I just throw in the towel:  I like the core of self at this point in life, and need a break.  I'll change ...when I have to.  Terrible attitude. Just lazy. :whistle:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Myth #3: Personality Comes from Your Past

The idea that you are defined by your past or that the past is the best predictor of your future is true, but not because you can’t change. You simply haven’t for another reason. Hardy lists four reasons that keep people stuck in their past:

1. They continue to be defined by past traumas that haven’t been reframed.
  2. They have an identity narrative based on the past, not the future.
  3. Their subconscious keeps them consistent with their former self and emotions.
  4. They have an environment supporting their current rather than their future identity.

Past events should inform and change our present and future because we are learning from them. If not, we shortchange our futures. “How we describe, interpret, and identify with our past has far more to do with where we are, here and now, than it has to do with our actual past.” British philosopher Alain de Botton once wrote, “Anyone who isn’t embarrassed by who they were twelve months ago isn’t learning enough.”

Myth #4: Personality Must Be Discovered

Our personality, like our passion(s), is created by us. It’s not discovered. It’s designed. We need to be intentional about it. It is a by-product of the decisions we make. Hardy’s friend Kary is trying to find herself and her passion without success. Hardy comments:

What Kary fails to understand is that inspiration follows action, not the other way around. Lightning isn’t going to strike for her. Unless and until she takes action, her confidence and imagination will remain low. She needs to decide what she wants and begin moving forward. With progress—even minuscule progress—her clarity and confidence will increase, opening the door for greater flexibility and change.