TIB

Zealot

I've hunted with a longbow for more than 10 years

They're great to hike with. Light, and don't get hung up in stuff when you go through a thicket

And since you aren't going to draw it back and hold it like you do with a compound bow, if you get a chance to draw you'll have a chance to get the shot away, too

• Awesome 1

Nice bow. Those take talent to master.

My gal pal kills squeaks with her in MT. She sends me text pics with squirrels with an arrow through them. She is awesome. Takes down big game with a rifle too. Bad ass chic!

Yeah, there are some amazing archers out there. I'm ok with a compound bow. Got the urge to go traditional though. So, well see. My son-in-law is much like the gal you describe here. He's a damn good shot.

Very nice!
I'm heading over to the range in a few hours.. Going to try out the new lighted nocks I made up.. I want to see how they change my grooping at 50 yards.

bring that recurve up and we can go fame a day of 3D target fun :)

Very nice!
I'm heading over to the range in a few hours.. Going to try out the new lighted nocks I made up.. I want to see how they change my grooping at 50 yards.

bring that recurve up and we can go fame a day of 3D target fun :)

So, how did the nocks work?

A day of 3D target shooting sounds great!

Woulderful tool for taking the skin off your forearm.... :whistle:

I've never been good with a bow, but admire folks who have taken the time to learn it. Have fun/be careful.

You know, to this day I've never had my forearm slapped by a bow string. I don't even own an arm guard. I'll probably get one for this bow though.

So, how did the nocks work?

A day of 3D target shooting sounds great!

The nocks worked beautifully. There was one that needs tweaked a little, it turns off after a hit... Nothing I can not fix with a little super glue.

After comparing the nocks I made VS the one that was bought... Mine shine much brighter and can be seen from further away. Not bad for a $5 per nock DIY project!

I shot from 10 years all the way to 60 yards, seems the further you are the little more tail wag you get, but it hits the spot every time without adjustment to the sights. 

There is a spot here that has a few 3D targets for people to use... but there is a park in Indiana that has a plethora of targets as you walk along the hiking path. I need to find it one day, since my friend said it is an awesome park to go to also.

You know, to this day I've never had my forearm slapped by a bow string. I don't even own an arm guard. I'll probably get one for this bow though.

Arm guards are for sissies :)

Keep you elbow bent and you will not ever het the forearm! 

Nice, Krazy!! I'll have to think about the lighted nocks now. Mine are simply fluorescent.

Just spent about four hours tuning and sighting in the compound bow. I sight at 10, 20 and 30 yards. Very dense woods behind my property. If you get a 30 yard shot, someone will have cut a lot of brush out! But it's shooting well and very quiet. My son is going to use it for the season and hunt with me. My recurve should arrive next week and then I'll tune and set it up.

I do love shooting. And yeah, I probably won't buy an arm guard.

I have 7pins on my site. 10-20 same then one for 30, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60.

the furthest I will shoot while hunting is 35 yards due to heavy forest, but it is fun to see the arrows fly the 60 yards and hit the mark.

I'll upload a pic or two of my bow for you.. And if you need directions on what I did for the nocks.. Let me know.. I'll give it a write up and some pictures.

it has been a long time since I shot a recurve, I bet I would be horrible at it until I found a good groove.

Here is how i'm grouping at 40 yards.. at 20 yards I can drop 6 arrows in the opening ring from a canning jar lid.  

Yes I shoot at a deck of playing cards.. Figure if I can hit it, I can drop a rabbit or squirrel also :)

You know Pokey, there's and old family tale my mom used to tell us that says we are related to Robin Hood. Though he is not quite the person of medieval legend - he was indeed an outlaw, but one who lived during the English colonization of the new world. Apparently he was exiled from England to the colonies where he was eventually hanged for horse theft and bigamy.

:-)

• Heart 1

Go aged and do it, P8. I fought both my kids how to shoot - rifle and bow - but didn't spend much time with it afterwards. So now, going to spend time with my son hunting and am glad he learned the basics all those years ago.

We all shoot rifle together.  let me see if I can dig up a pic of Griffin's rifle.

You know Pokey, there's and old family tale my mom used to tell us that says we are related to Robin Hood. Though he is not quite the person of medieval legend - he was indeed an outlaw, but one who lived during the English colonization of the new world. Apparently he was exiled from England to the colonies where he was eventually hanged for horse theft and bigamy.

:-)

Dude sounds like he would have been fun to hang with. Makes me wonder how come all the "fun" relatives are the dead ones?

Awesome!!! WoK would not like hanging with me for that long at the range... MY kids even get tired of me hanging out there for more then 2 hours. 

I have recurved for both my little ones and they just have been upgraded from aluminum arrows to carbon ones :)

• Heart 1

My son and I had set up yesterday morning for practice. He works all night, leaves about 6:30 and then came by my house and we practices until about 10:30. Then he went home. My wife joined us for about the final two hours. We'll probably do it again next weekend.

• Heart 1

Do bows work well against zombies?

I would think so.. I figure it would do the same damage going through a skull as a bullet would, plus the arrows are reusable. A nice broad head tip should slice a skull like butta! 

And when ya run out of arrows, a good sturdy bow is like a billy club :)

• Heart 1

Do bows work well against zombies?

Arrow through the head takes them out.  Best part is when people break into the sporting good stores they all go after the bullets and the guns.  Nobody goes for the arrows and bows.

Makes me think William Tell wouldn't last a day once the zombie apocalypse started.  He's always be shooting a little too high.

If you're going to hunt bear, I definitely suggest you take your son.  He will freeze the bear in place while you shoot it.  :nod head: 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 5 years later...

@KrAzY, if you’re still around. 10 months post shoulder replacement, I’ve gotten my bows back out. I’ve been practicing for about the past 3-4 weeks with my wife’s 30# longbow. Hurt like hell when I started, but I’m up to shooting 100 arrows a day. My wife bought me a 68” 45# longbow for Father’s Day. It arrived yesterday. So today I took it out.  And my 50# recurve. Shot them both for about an hour and a half.  Getting a solid 31” draw, effectively putting their draw weights around 52.5 and 57.5 respectively. Felt amazing!  I’m a little sore at the moment, but what a blast!  My accuracy isn’t where it used to be, but getting there. Shooting completely instinctively:

spacer.pngC5801643-A32C-4ACF-8371-D5D8B242F11F.thumb.jpeg.4dc4c98b27eac30163522fd0ab8f83cd.jpegC443B0D8-2D65-40A8-976A-677A1AA4CB50.thumb.jpeg.9ecc3355fc4e8247ff441ef30b6cc6a8.jpeg 

shooting some carbon and aluminum, different spines. 

Not too bad at 20 - 30 paces.  All the centers were with the recurve.  spacer.png

Anyway, sitting here enjoying the evening air, catching a buzz and remembering that we were having this conversation several years ago.  I’ve been out of it since then because the shoulder failed. Looking forward to getting in the woods this fall and bringing home some venison.  😊 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They can do a breast reduction too.

Mrs Z was shooting with me earlier on. I was coaching her to get a full draw to maximize velocity.  She let the arrow fly and as I watched it hit the target, in my periphery off to her left I saw something hit the ground about 20’ away.  The string had caught her glasses and flung them. Broke them and we still can’t find one lens.  Fortunately she has another pair.

Thats a first for me. Never seen that happen.... 

• Haha 1

Enjoyed reading this post, I don’t think I jumped ship yet when it was posted.

Sister #5 is a freaking Hawkeye with her recurve.  Really cool as all of the men in our family were Expert Marksmen in the Army with multiple weapons and  she definitely has the family skill set.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Enjoyed reading this post, I don’t think I jumped ship yet when it was posted.

Sister #5 is a freaking Hawkeye with her recurve.  Really cool as all of the men in our family were Expert Marksmen in the Army with multiple weapons and  she definitely has the family skill set.

Awesome! Does she’s shoot at events?