Wood chippers are awesome

Dirtyhip

I ground up a huge pile of leaves today, reduced it by at least 2/3 rds . No idea why I like doing this so much, it is pretty hard work, and my back hurts like hell now.

My machine has a 9 horsepower motor, when I bought it I thought that was a lot, now I think I need more, What does the rental machine have, horsepower wise ?

9 hours ago, Further said:

I ground up a huge pile of leaves today, reduced it by at least 2/3 rds . No idea why I like doing this so much, it is pretty hard work, and my back hurts like hell now.

My machine has a 9 horsepower motor, when I bought it I thought that was a lot, now I think I need more, What does the rental machine have, horsepower wise ?

Composting is very satisfying, especially the leafy bounty in the fall!  It satisfies my inner chemist and alchemist, to prepare reactants and mix them together. Cut grass with leaves is the best!  A perfect mixture to compost. 

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Further said:

no idea but it was a huge one.  Seemed industrial.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I don't like wood chippers ever since seeing that, doontchaknow!.

I was slightly scared of renting it at first.  After using it, I realized that it would be very difficult to get chopped up by it.  It was a chute at the back.  You would have to really stick yourself inside of it.  The pieces we were doing were not ideal.  My husband made a pusher with some lumber.  It had a flat end that was bigger than the shredder port.  It worked great until the chipper grabbed one edge of it and chopped it up.  I laughed.  

Mostly I would push the small pieces in with a longer piece of sage.  We would push things in root end first, and the auger would pull it through. The smaller pieces didn't like to go through, unless we like draped a snag on top that would pull the rest of the tangle together. 

This was an enormous amount of work to save the air and reuse the sage and wood matter.  Most people would have just brought in tractors and then burned the piles. NO!

Not sure how many hours we had of my husband on the pulaski, and me stacking. We would go out and do like 2-3 hours at a time of chopping.  The shredding was 8+ hours of shredding. $228 to rent the machine + gasoline, but we helped protect the mother, and cover her scalped soil with mulch. :wub:

It was worth the effort, IMHO:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-cu-yd-Loose-Bulk-Pine-Mini-Nuggets-BKPBMN8/205505460?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_19_MULCH-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_19_MULCH-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000062826517-58700005635612061-92700051386902250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP695AlKFwWfcjF6CSI2HaTtPonvD-HTjBF08XVR6kSVXfMyYRfwXWo-IaAs9fEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We likely got well over this amount.  Hard to tell as it scattered it across a large area.

Here is the business part of mine, it is a shredder rather than a chipper. I had branch about three inches in diameter I was using to push in clogs, it was gradually getting chewed up then when it was down to about a foot an a half long, it snagged on something and got devoured. There was a few seconds of banging and a shower of chips, I don't want my arm in there.

IMG_4698.JPG