Pizza sauce

Parsnip Totin Jack
Go to solution Solved by Parsnip Totin Jack,

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Old No. 7 and  @UglyBob  Your sauce pics makes me realize I am truly a fraud.  I make mine an easy way with tomato paste, oil, water and spices.  <hangs head in shame>

I like Bob's idea of a large batch and just freeze for later use. 

No worries. If you like the way you make sauce, don’t change a thing. I used to make big batches all day Sunday’s and freeze usable amounts. But the way Wo7 and I are eating, it’s not practical. The pizza sauce makes a quart. Enough for two pizzas and some leftover for chicken Parmesan with spaghetti or something.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@UglyBob and @Old No. 7, please share your recipes with amounts.

:wub:

I thought I did. I start with garlic. Never let anyone tell you how much garlic to use; measure that with your heart. For pizza sauce is use three to four cloves, minced. Pour some olive oil in a pan, heat it up. Add the garlic and once it starts to sizzle add your preferred seasoning. I use Italian seasoning, about a teaspoon, some basil, black pepper, crushed red pepper if my wife isn’t looking. And stir for a minute to get the flavors in the oil. Add a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. I buy the Wegmans brand for $0.99 a can. Add a little water to the can to rinse and dump the water in the pot. For bougie sauce you can use San Marzano tomatoes and crush them yourself but those run $4 a can. I save those for Sunday gravy sauce. Heat the sauce to a boil, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Hum an Italian tune while you do this. Lower heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring now and then. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes to chill out. Use immediately or fill a quart jar and refrigerate until needed.

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Do any of you put sugar in your sauce?  I often make my own spaghetti sauce and I like it with a little sugar to cut the acidity but my son & wife don’t really care for it that way.  So I make it without and sprinkle a little just in my serving.

I do not add sugar. There is too much sugar added to all the foods we eat now. I don’t add salt either as the canned tomatoes usually have plenty.

• Heart 2

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

Pffft all you want but if you were a guest at my table I wouldn’t serve you jarred sauce. 

You are a better man than me.  I don't think that part is news.

We have homemade pizza about once a year.  We use sauce from a jar.  I don't know what it is but I like it.  We buy our crusts from some guy at a farmers market - he probably imports them from China.

Our pizza (usually a weekly thing) comes from Jets Pizza.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

We have homemade pizza about once a year.  We use sauce from a jar.  I don't know what it is but I like it.  We buy our crusts from some guy at a farmers market - he probably imports them from China.

Better man is debatable. I like cooking and learning better ways to do it. In accounting we learned about cost of goods sold. The manufacturer of industrial products, like jarred sauces and pizza dough will make it as cheap as they can to boost net income. Making my own sauce and dough let’s me choose what goes into the final pie. I am familiar with Jets from my days in Cincinnati. Along with Cassanos and LaRosas. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The pizza always arrives cold :(  but I do tip the driver 20%!

image.png.78cdf736db22a07e986859f365daca48.png

image.png.c776293e4430899a30b62c3909abbe17.png

Or I could get off my azz, visit @Prophet Zacharia and grab a pie for the ride home!

image.png.20425408229ec2f35e1c29abc27bc713.png

You could ride the Great Allegheny Passage. Make it in under 24 hours and I’ll treat the pizza, although we won’t go to Jett. Mineo’s is my favorite.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You could ride the Great Allegheny Passage. Make it in under 24 hours and I’ll treat the pizza, although we won’t go to Jett. Mineo’s is my favorite.

I LITERALLY just sent my sister an e-mail saying I might visit her next year so she can drop us at the start of the GAP ride :)

22 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I decided to make pizza for election night dinner. I made the dough and sauce tonight. They always taste better the next day. For the sauce, mince some garlic, heat olive oil and add the garlic. When it’s fragrant, add basil, oregano, black pepper, whatever you desire. Add a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and a little water to rinse the can. Heat to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. That’s it.

1FB44D8A-C82D-4D0D-A001-F33D2DDE08BD.jpeg

Sounds good.  In the early 2000's I found a free ebrochure about running a commercial pizza establishment and it including information about the density and makeup and particle concentration of commercial pizza sauce.  I used tomato paste to thicken it up the right amount at the end.

Eventually, I realized I liked homemade pizza (dough made in an automatic bread maker) using Prego spaghetti sauce and that was a lot less work.

But crushed tomatoes sounds like a winner to me!

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I do both depending on what I have going on but as @Old No. 7 notes sauce is pretty easy to make.  I basically make mine like he did but I like to put a splash of red wine & onion in my sauce.

But I do usually have a jar of sauce in the cabinet for when I need to whip something up quickly. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

@UglyBob and @Old No. 7, please share your recipes with amounts.

:wub:

Recipe? Um...I hate to tell you this but there is no recipe. I just do what I was taught by my wife, who was taught by her grandmother who came over from Italy in the 1930s. I'll do my best to write things down when I have a chance.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Recipe? Um...I hate to tell you this but there is no recipe. I just do what I was taught by my wife, who was taught by her grandmother who came over from Italy in the 1930s. I'll do my best to write things down when I have a chance.

Oh, you are another one of those little of this and dash of that people. I'd call you a name, but it is not allowed here.  HAHA

• Haha 1