Who wants more stove talk? HAHA

Dirtyhip

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This stove is only $3000. 

Hmm.  That's less than my last bike, and I use a stove and/or the oven DAILY, so, on a per use cost, it is not so bad versus my Diverge. 

Seems like a reasonable purchase!

I would, though, review quality, performance, and REPAIRABILITY of that one.  If it breaks, is it done for or can you fix it for less than $100 in parts and your own labor?

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hmm.  That's less than my last bike, and I use a stove and/or the oven DAILY, so, on a per use cost, it is not so bad versus my Diverge. 

Seems like a reasonable purchase!

I would, though, review quality, performance, and REPAIRABILITY of that one.  If it breaks, is it done for or can you fix it for less than $100 in parts and your own labor?

It is beautiful.  Just realized that the temp adjustment seems to be digital.  I do not like that.  

It is very hard to find a stove that has stainless under the burners that looks easy to clean, and has zero electronics.  I can't afford a wolf.

I can't afford a wolf.

"Afford"?  Of course you can.

"Justify"? Maybe not, maybe so.

I just know my cheap GE "contractor grade" (or whatever "new home build" grade is) is CHEAP and easy to repair.  My SiL, though, opted for a "fancier" (but electric :( ) stove, and it had digital controls in the front that could eventually get wet/corroded resulting in the need for a new circuit board.  Stupid design, expensive to repair, and not a smart buy.  My other SiL bought a fancy induction stove - GREAT for bringing water to a boil! - but, no surprise, after several years of daily use, someone dropped a heavy ass pot and cracked the glass.  Again, not cheap to fix (she didn't) so, to me, a non-starter.

I like the way you think about this stuff, though.  Keep using your noggin' for the decisions, and you'll be fine.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

wasn't the used one $300?:dontknow:

It's 200 now.  There are things I realized that I hate about it.  It has the control knobs on the top of the stove.  You can't easily fit a bunch of pans on the top of it.  <hate that>

Hey @Razors Edge, I just saw this.  Quite like it too:

https://www.appliancesconnection.com/bertazzoni-mas304dfmxe.html

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Afford"?  Of course you can.

"Justify"? Maybe not, maybe so.

I just know my cheap GE "contractor grade" (or whatever "new home build" grade is) is CHEAP and easy to repair.

Afford...as in doing this home build, selling our home and taking on zero new debt.  Fuck debt.  I hate it.

Show me your oven.  Is it a dual?

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is beautiful.  Just realized that the temp adjustment seems to be digital.  I do not like that.  

It is very hard to find a stove that has stainless under the burners that looks easy to clean, and has zero electronics.  I can't afford a wolf.

You use the stove all the damn time, every day, so this is something that is less a splurge than an investment.  You deserve the very best stove out there that has all the function and reliability you need, plus it does have to look ok, too!  This is like a bike in that it has to make you happy when you use it, and don't necessarily go the cheapest route!  Functionality is key, easy clean up is key, easy fix is key.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I was. You could of had a free $300 $200 stove :) but I'm not paying 3 grand. I will however come over for dinner and try the pump track :biker:

Don't break yourself.

We will have a track around the property too with a jump line and obstacles.  Plus, we are right outside of the MTB park.  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Show me your oven.  Is it a dual?

It's a GE XL44 gas range.  Not anything remotely "exciting" about it except it works well.  I've replace TWO ignitors since we have had it - basically open up the bottom of the oven area, contort to get fingers and screw driver in cramped spaces, swap out the ignitor, and reassemble.  If I can do it with my "helpful" FiL standing over me making "suggestions" then most folks could do the repair as well.  :)  And there are youtube tutorials since it is such a common range.  Those are super helpful - either a great video or a good manual with part numbers so you know what you actually need to fix it.

Similar to this:

image.png.17967e668498d58f129cc9209a3be959.png

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It's a GE XL44 gas range.  Not anything remotely "exciting" about it except it works well.  I've replace TWO ignitors since we have had it - basically open up the bottom of the oven area, contort to get fingers and screw driver in cramped spaces, swap out the ignitor, and reassemble.  If I can do it with my "helpful" FiL standing over me making "suggestions" then most folks could do the repair as well.  :)  And there are youtube tutorials since it is such a common range.  Those are super helpful - either a great video or a good manual with part numbers so you know what you actually need to fix it.

Similar to this:

Thank you.  Looks similar to my stove now.  

I am thinking this fancy new thing will be my forever stove.  @Randomguy, I know you hate that term.  HAHA

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you.  Looks similar to my stove now.  

I am thinking this fancy new thing will be my forever stove.  @Randomguy, I know you hate that term.  HAHA

It has done its job well. At 20 years old, it does look it's age - white appliances throughout the kitchen and white cabinets - so we would get a new one if we re-did the kitchen.  But likely with a similar model just in a different color (unless upgrading to SELL our place), and maybe with the middle "extra" burner or a bigger burner combination.  But, I really have no doubt this one, still in pretty good looking shape, could go another 20 years with minor repairs along the way.  I don't know if the "disposable" society we live in these days could conceive of a 40 yr old stove, but I fully suspect it will be the stove we still have in 2030 and maybe 2040!

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Similar to this:

That's almost identical to our stove. I think we've had it nearly 20 years without a problem. We cook and bake a lot. 

OK, NO!  

I won't be sporting a percussion pistol either.  Or sleeping on pine needles.  :D

Ha!

Nothing screams "Amish farmer practicality" like a s'more maker and a yogurt machine!  I see why LJ loves his Amish neighbors - lots of tasty s'more roasting :)

image.thumb.png.cc349436449c45aa8c601de09512b0d2.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We ended up with this brand as WoZack didn’t want any electronics. Had it about 7 years and really like it.

https://us.bertazzoni.com/products/ranges

• Awesome 1

I have no clue what would be a "good" oven, but as I've said before, if you find one you really like, you should get it. You're a great cook who enjoys making meals for her family, and you probably save a lot by eating your delicious home cooked meals rather than going out more.  A good oven isn't just for show, it's something you'll use every day and both you and K. would benefit from it.   You've worked long and hard to be in a position of building this house and the kitchen is a very important part of it.   I always think it's worth investing in quality when possible if it's something you can keep for a long time and you'll  use often.

• Hugs 1

One of the great thing about building your own house is doing things the way you want them.  I remember on one house, going through the design phase like you did and moving walls and closets.  Then I framed up the house and on a Saturday morning I decide to move a major wall.  I got out the sawzall and cut the plates and moved it a foot - because I could.  And it made a big difference in the 'liveability' of the house.

Dozens of times in the next few years you are going to be standing at the stove and think to yourself, "I'm glad I decide to get the one I really wanted."

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Then I framed up the house and on a Saturday morning I decide to move a major wall.  I got out the sawzall and cut the plates and moved it a foot - because I could.

A friend was owner building a house. When the rooms were framed in his wife thought the living room was too big and wanted a wall moved, well it's just 2x4's so no problem. Then when the drywall went on the room became too small....moving a wall with the wiring and heating ducts, and drywall installed is a bit more of a project....

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Further said:

A friend was owner building a house. When the rooms were framed in his wife thought the living room was too big and wanted a wall moved, well it's just 2x4's so no problem. Then when the drywall went on the room became too small....moving a wall with the wiring and heating ducts, and drywall installed is a bit more of a project....

I don't intend to make ANY changes.  I already know my house is really small.  HAHA

7 minutes ago, Further said:

Yeah when you frame the deck the house looks small.  When you frame the exterior the house looks big.  When you frame the interior the rooms look big.  The drywall shrinks them.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yeah when you frame the deck the house looks small.  When you frame the exterior the house looks big.  When you frame the interior the rooms look big.  The drywall shrinks them.

Our house pad makes it look huge.  They have not framed for the footers yet.  It's going to really shrink down.  HAHA  1052 ft of interior.  700 something for garage.  Plus some porches

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I can't remember who was bitching about my stove talk, but I would tag you if I could remember.

My husband said I could have this, if I really wanted it.  He lets me have anything I want.  This stove is only $3000.  :whistle:

ilve.jpg

Wow!  How wide is it?  My house's kitchen will go from two big double sinks to one and lose a small narrow floor cabinet so I can fit the dishwasher in that I didn't have before. I think I'll have to stick with a 4-burner stove with a microwave over the fume hood.  The stove in my apartment has an auto-shutoff timer, temperature and time settings and a couple other useless things.  My more-savvy-than-me-about-household-stuff sister's going to help me pick out the stove, fridge, cabinets, etc. for my house - the contractor has an office for that where they do computer pictures of what it will all look like.

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What width did you decide on?

30"  

Any bigger is just too big for my kitchen.

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Wow!  How wide is it?  My house's kitchen will go from two big double sinks to one and lose a small narrow floor cabinet so I can fit the dishwasher in that I didn't have before. I think I'll have to stick with a 4-burner stove with a microwave over the fume hood.  The stove in my apartment has an auto-shutoff timer, temperature and time settings and a couple other useless things.  My more-savvy-than-me-about-household-stuff sister's going to help me pick out the stove, fridge, cabinets, etc. for my house - the contractor has an office for that where they do computer pictures of what it will all look like.

30"

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Similar to this:

That's what we have.  Was here when we moved in 13 years ago, probably here 5-10 years before that.  Had a plumber check it out once, said it was a good, solid stove and we should get a lot of years out of it.

• Heart 1

We went with this LG oven.    We went with black stainless steel.  Of course WoBG insisted ALL the appliances match in style and color etc...   The middle burner had a removable grill, which we store in the storage drawer below the oven.  Of course we haven't used the center burner yet.  The oven controls are all digital.   All of the burner grates lift off and the stainless steel below the burner grates is easy to clean.

LG 6.3 cu. ft. Gas Single Oven Slide-in Range with ProBake Convection® and EasyClean®, LSG4513BD

• Heart 2