Different and more immediate stove talk

Randomguy

The first problem is the discoloration surrounding the top part of the white part surrounding the burner.  This has been cleaned with a couple different kitchen cleaners, no difference and the poopy brown remains.  What will remove that without removing the finish?

The second problem is the uneven flame on the burner.  I can't seem to remove the burner caps, is there a way to clean the heads so that gas gets to all the little flame outlets?  Right now, that burner cooks unevenly, and I have to keep rotating the pans or the pancake suffers.  RO demands M&M pancakes every day she is here, so this has to be fixed.

Just now, Randomguy said:

The first is the discoloration surrounding the top part of the white part.  This has been cleaned with a couple different kitchen cleaners, no difference and the poopy brown remains.  What will remove that without removing the finish?

The second problem is the uneven flame on the burner.  I can't seem to remove the burner caps, is there a way to clean the heads so that gas gets to all the little flame outlets?

Buy a new range?

I bet, though, that the discoloration is BECAUSE of the use of kitchen cleaners (aggressive ones at that) has already resulted in "removing the finish" and those stains are a little bit embedded in the tiny little pits left from the finish getting scuffed up.  Barring an investment in time and effort, they are permanent.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you for shining light on how I should be more modest.  

I like you, RG.  

It is right to like me, but modesty is the opposite of what I was thinking.  This stove was chosen to be cheap, and it has issues, generally small enough, though.  To turn the oven on, it clicks and doesn't catch right away, so sometimes I have to hear it click like 40 times before the pilot sparks on.  The oven also seems a little hot compared to the temperature on the dial, at least 15 and maybe as much as 20 degrees.

It is not a joyful oven, but usually does the job ok.  If I was here permanently, I would see about an upgrade when it gets wonky and breaks.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I bet, though, that the discoloration is BECAUSE of the use of kitchen cleaners (aggressive ones at that) has already resulted in "removing the finish" and those stains are a little bit embedded in the tiny little pits left from the finish getting scuffed up.  Barring an investment in time and effort, they are permanent.

Hmm, the discoloration is new, about three weeks old, and I wasn't using any new cleaners that I hadn't been using previously.  Clorox spray cleaner and Method kitchen cleaner.  I am guessing that this is surface stuff that wants to stay.

I don't own the place, so I wouldn't be buying a new range, either.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is right to like me, but modesty is the opposite of what I was thinking.  This stove was chosen to be cheap, and it has issues, generally small enough, though.  To turn the oven on, it clicks and doesn't catch right away, so sometimes I have to hear it click like 40 times before the pilot sparks on.  The oven also seems a little hot compared to the temperature on the dial, at least 15 and maybe as much as 20 degrees.

It is not a joyful oven, but usually does the job ok.  If I was here permanently, I would see about an upgrade when it gets wonky and breaks.

At least it is gas.  Count your blessing where you get, eh?

image.png.9e177a092e0bbc08a42b4127d87002ca.png

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

At least it is gas.  Count your blessing where you get, eh?

image.png.9e177a092e0bbc08a42b4127d87002ca.png

I bake enough pizza to have already compensated for the variance in temperature.  It would have been a good thing early on, but it is manageable.

The mystery of the burner and poopy brown remains, though, any ideas?

Just now, Randomguy said:

Hmm, the discoloration is new, about three weeks old, and I wasn't using any new cleaners that I hadn't been using previously.  Clorox spray cleaner and Method kitchen cleaner.  I am guessing that this is surface stuff that wants to stay.

In that case, there are tons of products for cleaning that off.  I'd err on the more mild cleaners first and slowly work up to tougher ones if you can get it clean.  Although, it is "clean", just cosmetically unsightly.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am afraid to snap a pic of my current oven top.  I have destroyed it.  It was white enamel.  Now it is stained, discolored and basically looks ruined.  Everything works, just looks like shit.

Frigidaire. 

I do a TON of cooking.  Plus, I am hard on everything.