Your first car

Further

5 minutes ago, Further said:

67 Bel Air  mine was a bit darker blue, and maybe a little more rust

My wife had one almost exactly like that when we got married except it was a 1968.

My first car was a 1962 Studebaker Hawk GT with a 289 CU in engine (Not a Ford) and a 2 speed automatic. It could fog for mousquitoes in two counties before I rebuilt the engine. It looked like the car below except mine had a lot of rust. My second car was a 1964 Chevy Impala SS. Of all the cars that I've owned, those are the top two that I wish I kept.

Studebaker Hawk GT 1962.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

When I gaduated 

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

My wife had one almost exactly like that when we got married.

My first car was a 1962 Studebaker Hawk GT with a 289 CU in engine (Not a Ford) and a 2 speed automatic. It could fog for mousquitoes in two counties before I rebuilt the engine. It looked like the car below except mine had a lot of rust. My second car was a 1964 Chevy Impala SS. Of all the cars that I've owned, those are the top two that I wish I kept.

Studebaker Hawk GT 1962.jpg

When I graduated high school $100 Studebakers were the winter beater car of choice.

Wish I'd bought a dozen and put them in storage...  

• Heart 3

63 Olds Dynamic 88 with a Rocket 350 engine and a shitload of rust!  It was the fambly car that pulled a travel trailer all the way out west. Maybe that is why the transmission died. :(  When I first got in it the brakes went to the floor and I had to replace all the brake lines. 
Damn, I was just thinking, it was replaced with a 68, so rusting away in 5 years really sucked!  NW PA though, lots o’ road salt.  

• Heart 3

DADB7806-8837-493B-9D4C-E04995B6E708.thumb.jpeg.356b1a882166d41abb5893a5ff34ab4d.jpeg

This is actually my second car a 55Chevy. My first car I only had a couple months and blew the engine. It was a 57 Opal that was imported from Germany by a returning serviceman. He unloaded it just in time.

This Chevy had been originally coral and cream paint and someone had given it an Earl Shieb $29.95 paint job of mud brown. It was the first car I ever painted. During the months I was repairing the rust I had the car rattle can primer black.

• Heart 2

1970 Chevelle Malibu. I was 21, a veteran, loan/debt free, going into my senior year in college. I paid $500 for it off a friend of mine. Fo2 said if I had paid less, he would have helped me with it. My gawd he was an asshole.

It came in many trims, mine was prolly the least desirable  

BE135D50-91DD-4863-8FDF-E6EB76F1EDD8.jpeg

• Heart 1

A 1977 Z28 Camaro  350 with a 4 speed, and custom exhaust after the Hooker Headers that I installed.    I drove to the muffler shop for the custom pipes with open headers.   Yeah it was loud.  I got it new, after college to drive to my job.   Now I drive a 2016 Prius.  Go figure... 

1305423662_1977Z28Camaro.jpg.a16f25038dbde79be4e5bd87c2d680e4.jpg

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Can you tell I liked T-Roofs?

When I purchased my Camaro, the sales person asked;  Do you want the T-Top roof?    I told him; "No when I roll the car over I want steel above my head."

And the day I drove the car home, was the first day I started wearing my seatbelt. 

68 Dodge Dart 

2 hours ago, groupw said:

64 Ford Galaxie 500. 390 Interceptor package. LOOONNNNG rear axle. Wasn’t much until 80 mph and then no one could stay with me.  Mine was identical except I had the factory dog dish hub caps. 

When I was 16 I hung around with a guy who had a 64 Galaxy rust bucket.  We took the 429 out of the race car and put it in the Galaxy with a set of 5.14 gears and we would go do a little street racing. 

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That's a low gear ratio for a car on the street.   4400 rpm @ 60 mph?

Stop light to stop light racing. 

Matt would throw a rear end in the car go play a few hours and the next morning change it back. You can swap out a Ford 9 inch in no time. 

59 Chevy Impala, bought in 1967 for $300, with a V8 engine that needed new manifold gaskets, new points and plugs and a 2-barrel carburetor rebuilding kit.

Since my parents didn't own a car before I got that, I had to learn what all that stuff was from friends and fast-food coworkers.

I was a steep learning curve, but that car ran well enough to get me through the beginning of college and take me to work at a fast food restaurant.

• Heart 2

Mine was a 1972 American Motors Matador.  It was my parents and they had 1 year to pay on a 3 year loan.  My father convinced me that taking over the payments would help me establish some credit.  I went in monthly to make my payment and say hello to the branch manager.  By the time I made the last payment the thing was a pile of rust.  I traded it in on a '73 Dodge Charger and the bank manager was more than happy to give me a 3 year loan on it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

1976 Chevy Nova

Mine was silver with red interior, 305 V8, auto, dual exhaust that exited in front of rear tires, glass packs, Cragar SS rims, 70 series tires in front, 60 series in rear, air shocks in the back, decent stereo.  Looked a lot like that car.

77tomh1.jpg

• Heart 1

Not mine, but just like this.  350 Qjet, aftermarket moon roof.  Did some mods, but it still wasn't all that fast.  Though technically my first car was a 69 (ish) Beetle that I never put on the road.  Pulled the fenders and other useless weight, turned the wheels around, ended up losing it (sort of) in a dry creek bed.  

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass | Streetside Classics - The Nation's Trusted  Classic Car Consignment Dealer

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not mine, but just like this.  350 Qjet, aftermarket moon roof.  Did some mods, but it still wasn't all that fast.  Though technically my first car was a 69 (ish) Beetle that I never put on the road.  Pulled the fenders and other useless weight, turned the wheels around, ended up losing it (sort of) in a dry creek bed.  

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass | Streetside Classics - The Nation's Trusted  Classic Car Consignment Dealer

did it have the rotating bucket seats? 

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 350 CI, Swivel Bucket Seats | Mecum Auctions |  Oldsmobile cutlass, Oldsmobile, Old classic cars

Yes Laguna S3 with a 454 4-barrel.  It sucked gas.

I have a cousin with an S3 that is in storage.  It sees the light of day about once a year and has never seen a raindrop.  When I showed up at a family picnic with mine along with a little dirt on it, he flipped out.

69 Mercury Cougar. It was green with a white top. I then found a 69 convertible with no motor or tranny but in real nice shape. Weekend swap and had a really nice car. The convertible was red with a black top.