So many things to remember

Dirtyhip

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I should double check before I leave.  When will I learn?  Most of it got in my bag.  

• pants
  • belt
  • lunch
  • property tax statement for an insurance thing
  • silverware
  • plate
  • reading glasses
  • keys

:facepalm:

Hmm.  Why can't you keep a plate and silverware (and even reading glasses) at work?  

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

My not wild sister had a list taped to the front door of the few things the kids needed to check to make sure they had them each time they left the house.

Did she also post a note somewhere else for them to check the list before they left the house?

I have a checklist of 5 basic things to grab, in addition to anything special, when I head toward my car: keys, wallet, glasses, wristwatch, smartphone.

I've got so many things going on that its easy to overlook stuff.  With your new house, I'm sure you've got the same load of things to keep in your memory.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Do you pack the morning of or night before?  One old Army trick is do as much of the load out the night before so when you have to roll out early there are few things to think about.  Get up, get ready & go...

I need to start packing the night before.  Usually, I get home and immediately start making dinner. Time gets away from me in the morning.  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I need to start packing the night before.  Usually, I get home and immediately start making dinner. Time gets away from me in the morning.  

I went for a lunch ride and forgot to pack a water bottle... Happens to the best of us...

I have replaced both but I used to have silver Shimano road & MTB shoes.  I can’t remember the number of times I got to a trail head & realized I grabbed the wrong shoes...

Every years, I have forgotten 1 work garment for my bike pannier.

So last year, I was at the office and meetings in my low profile cycling tights.  I made sure my bum was covered with my fleecy jacket.

Another time I forgot my dress pants a few years ago.  So I wore my walking cycling shorts the whole day.  I was working in the office but at a major construction site.

Nowadays it's making sure I don't wear a ratty t-shirt in front of a work videocam during a meeting.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Any of you do the top down packing method?  Start from the head & work down. Headgear, check. Jacket, check. Shirts, check. Undergarment, check. Gloves, check.  Pants, check, underwear, check. Socks, check, shoes, check...  

Never guess where I learned that...

If I'm packing for an actual trip, I always use a packing list.