Ordering things over the phone and get called "honey"

Dirtyhip

In certain regions of the country it’s a term often used. I think @MickinMD has mentioned it’s common in MD and I as well as my wife & kids have been referred to as honey by proprietors when visiting family in VA & NC.  

I have had women get offended when I call the. Ma’m.  “I’m not an old lady don’t call me ma’m.  Sorry ma’m, my military background no disrespect intended...

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

wait until construction starts!  :P

show up in high heels & pearls. You will be "honeyed" to death. Show up with boots, jeans & dirt under your nails & a smile. No honey

None of them have done that yet to me.  I think they see me as an assertive woman.  

Seeing me ride to the site with a dirt unibrow is not that uncommon, either. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I know he meant it kindly, as it was a local place, but I really do not like that.  It is very demeaning to say that to a gal.  I am not your honey, sweetie or babe.

what if he called you a gal?  I said good bye "guys and gals" to end a group call with our credit card processor.

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

what if he called you a gal?  I said good bye "guys and gals" to end a group call with our credit card processor.

Is it offensive if I address a mixed group of males & females as “guys”?   I do this often and should probably change that.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I get honey or darlin' every now and then, and I kind of like it when it happens.  No offense, just a reminder that they are from a different part of the country.

To me, this is quite American (in some regions).  In most regions in CAnada and I've lived in 3 different regions, I don't get the honey/darling/sweetie salutation.  Maybe less than 5 times in my life...which is pretty good for over 6 decades.   And that was me in the U.S.

Maybe I was called that as a   child. But I don't remember/recall.

One of my bosses would tell the customer "one of the girls will take care of it" or "I'll give it to one of the girls"....I called him on it..said would you say "one of the boys will take care of it"...true enough he would have used the guy's proper name.."Jim will take care of it"...Don't  know if it ever sunk in..our department got absorbed...and I left not long after.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

One of my bosses would tell the customer "one of the girls will take care of it" or "I'll give it to one of the girls"....I called him on it..said would you say "one of the boys will take care of it"...true enough he would have used the guy's proper name.."Jim will take care of it"...Don't  know if it ever sunk in..our department got absorbed...and I left not long after.

That reminds me of Airplane!  “Cmon boys, let’s take some pictures.”  :D

My reaction varies depending on the person and context.  In a professional work setting, where I thought the term was dismissive, I would likely be offended, or if it was some creepy guy you don't know.  But if it's an older person using it as a general friendly term, or clearly a regional usage that is just standard and friendly, I don't mind.  Same with other regional terms of "endearment" - all depends on the context.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My reaction varies depending on the person and context.  In a professional work setting, where I thought the term was dismissive, I would likely be offended, or if it was some creepy guy you don't know.  But if it's an older person using it as a general friendly term, or clearly a regional usage that is just standard and friendly, I don't mind.  Same with other regional terms of "endearment" - all depends on the context.

I really believe he was just happy to be selling a gift certificate to me.  I said that I like their meat market and like to keep biz local, instead of a boring Harry and David gift basket.  "Thanks, honey."  then later "Appreciate your business, Honey."  

I should relax about it.  Thanks, Kirb.

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

In most regions in CAnada and I've lived in 3 different regions, I don't get the honey/darling/sweetie salutation.

It is common in the Maritimes, and most common in Cape Breton and Newfoundland.  Not nearly a big a deal out here in BC, but have heard it in rural Alberta and rural Saskatchewan in small towns

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

It is common in the Maritimes, and most common in Cape Breton and Newfoundland.  Not nearly a big a deal out here in BC, but have heard it in rural Alberta and rural Saskatchewan in small towns

I'm glad not to use it myself on anyone  except for dearie.  Of course, other speaking habits which one has to work at...  

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I know he meant it kindly, as it was a local place, but I really do not like that.  It is very demeaning to say that to a gal.  I am not your honey, sweetie or babe.

Maybe he's from Maryland.  I think it must be a state law that every fifth sentence has to end with the word "Hon."

I got called that today by the woman pharmacist from whom I got my Freestyle Libre blood glucose meter. I didn't even think anything of it at the time because it's it's the local way: I've even been called "Hon" by teenage cashiers, so the tradition continues.

Someone modified a sign on the Baltimore - Washington Parkway to read "Welcome to Baltimore, Hon."  Unfortunately, the officials took away the "Hon."

Save money: Stop putting the names of politicians on government signs |  READER COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun