It's not done, or finished <edit>

Dirtyhip

I had an electric Oster 16" wide toaster oven that held about everything I wanted to bake on two racks. The back is only about 13.5" deep at the edges and these an outward curve in the middle to handle 16" pizzas.  I was real cheap at Walmart when I bought it a good while back.

When I'm back in my house, I'll probably get one again - it's easier working with an oven on the counter than working in a low oven.

Good thing you found out before you replaced it!  I rarely toast bread but sometimes I’ll toast an English muffin and forget my wife unplugs the toaster oven when not in use.  Such a downer when you turn the toast dial, wait several minutes, hear the telltale ding and your muffin is not toasted...

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

I’ve never owned a toaster oven. I don’t see the point if there’s an oven sitting there. I have a toaster to make toast. The toaster ovens I have seen are dirty, crumb-filled counter hogs. There are those that love them, and those that don’t. 

Yeah that describes ours to a T.  I don’t care for them either and we rarely use it. I’d just as well keep a toaster in the cabinet & pull it out when needed.

5 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I’ve never owned a toaster oven. I don’t see the point if there’s an oven sitting there. I have a toaster to make toast. The toaster ovens I have seen are dirty, crumb-filled counter hogs. There are those that love them, and those that don’t. 

We had a toaster oven growing up.  As kids, we used that thing ALL THE TIME.  Tons of toasted cheese, bagel pizzas, etc..  As an adult, I never got one, but when I am visiting my brother's or sister's place, they both STILL use the heck out of theirs. 

I'm definitely a regular toaster sort of person, but can't say I wouldn't use a toaster over - if I had it and wanted my counter cluttered.

23 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Less energy to toast a piece of bread.  Why heat an entire oven for a slice of toast?

We have had an under cabinet one since 1986. Very convenient!  But I miss the big old Black and Decker. My wife replaced it with a wimpy smaller new one. :(  Sure, the old one was showing its age but it still worked, and it was bigger!  Change is bad.

Once or twice I hauled it oot to the patio to roast some peppers. That was fraT!

33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Less energy to toast a piece of bread.  Why heat an entire oven for a slice of toast?

As I said, we have a toaster. It has four wide slots to make toast. I don’t need a toaster oven. If I want to broil something to melt the cheese on top. I will heat the whole oven. My money to burn. 😂

53 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We had a toaster oven growing up.  As kids, we used that thing ALL THE TIME.  Tons of toasted cheese, bagel pizzas, etc..  As an adult, I never got one, but when I am visiting my brother's or sister's place, they both STILL use the heck out of theirs. 

I'm definitely a regular toaster sort of person, but can't say I wouldn't use a toaster over - if I had it and wanted my counter cluttered.

I think that’s the big difference. Growing up, my parents never had one. My grandmothers did but we weren’t allowed to touch them. “Don’t fuck with that, get out of my kitchen” I think that’s where I get it from.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I’ve never owned a toaster oven. I don’t see the point if there’s an oven sitting there. I have a toaster to make toast.

Ours is quite outfitted with settings; convection, broil, pizza, and even a rotisserie arm. Considering it takes it about 5 minutes to spin up to 400 rather than the 20+ to heat the full sized oven we use it as our de facto baking tool.

Most of the child's dinners are 3 chicken nuggets, 3 fish sticks, or something alon those lines, it's easy to see why we use it as much as we do. Oh, and we make toast, rarely, if ever.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I think that’s the big difference. Growing up, my parents never had one. My grandmothers did but we weren’t allowed to touch them. “Don’t fuck with that, get out of my kitchen” I think that’s where I get it from.

I get @Razors Edge point in that ours got used fairly often when my son would make frozen taquitos or pizza bites.  Now that he’s an adult and likes to cook he doesn’t eat that crap anymore and the toaster oven mostly just takes up space.  I think they are much more valuable to kids & teens for their quick snacks than anything else.

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Ours is quite outfitted with settings; convection, broil, pizza, and even a rotisserie arm. Considering it takes it about 5 minutes to spin up to 400 rather than the 20+ to heat the full sized oven we use it as our de facto baking tool.

Most of the child's dinners are 3 chicken nuggets, 3 fish sticks, or something alon those lines, it's easy to see why we use it as much as we do. Oh, and we make toast, rarely, if ever.

I posted before reading your post but my point exactly! 

Toaster belongs in the appliance cupboard.  Take it out when needed.  Counter tops should be clear of clutter.  I am happiest when it is just the coffee pot and knife block on the countertops.  I do like some lovely fresh cut flowers on the island.  Einstein's crap does not belong on my kitchen counters--- the man hoards paper and whatnots.

12 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am happiest when it is just the coffee pot and knife block on the countertops.

Man, we would drive you nuts!

We have a drainboard next to the sink in the corner.  Then, we have our six-bottle go-to wine rack (next corner), then the banana holder, then the coffee AND grinder (another corner) and then the jar of various cooking spoons, spatulas, whatnot, and then several recipe folders (final corner). And, a bowl of kosher salt.

But we do keep the knife block tucked away in a cabinet and the toaster lives down with the other small appliances like the blender.