The chip/shred pile is now mulch for a very large bulb garden

Dirtyhip

MY husband is a rock star.  He shoveled it into a little wheelbarrow and moved the pile by hand.  I planted and spread the chips around the top of the plantings.

200 Daffodils, lots of iris (lost count), 60 tulips, raspberries, chives, garden sage, garlic and some grape hyacinths.

Super tired.  It was a big effort.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

MY husband is a rock star.  He shoveled it into a little wheelbarrow and moved the pile by hand.  I planted and spread the chips around the top of the plantings.

200 Daffodils, lots of iris (lost count), 60 tulips, raspberries, chives, garden sage, garlic and some grape hyacinths.

Super tired.  It was a big effort.  

Ya'll need a tractor....make track building a lot faster...

15 minutes ago, Further said:

Ya'll need a tractor....make track building a lot faster...

We plan on buying one.  We still would have needed to do this part by hand, it is over the septic field.  We should not drive vehicles over it.  We staked the corners, so that we know where it is located.  The land was bare from the guy installing the septic.  

BTW, if you search tractor on Craigslist, it also brings up toy tractors.  Pretty funny.

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

My gardening is mostly composting :D

Our last pile was so gorgeous.  I would open the lid and it smelled so sweet and wonderful.  When we turned it out, I was in awe.  It looked just like compost that you buy in the store. 

Our compost was doing terrible for a while.  We almost gave up.  Then, my amazing husband did some reading and learned about how important grass was.  Grass is crucial to the recipe.  You need the fresh greens.  You need greens, dry leaves, some branches, and then nature just starts her magic.  Don't turn it too often and keep it moist but not soaked.

I figured out it is kinda like cooking.  :wub:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome!

I just spoke to my house-rebuilding contractor yesterday and asked for a quote to do some extra yard work (100' x 60' property) including cutting down the last of the big trees on the property - it will need to go within the next several years anyway - so I'll have a blank slate to work with when I move back in next Spring/Summer.  I'll spend next summer building raised beds for flowers and veggies, a trellis over a picnic table for seedless grape vines, and have chosen spots for some 10' to 15' trees and shrubs, planting what I can in the fall as you're doing now.  The basic idea is to place things so it's  easy to mow and weed whack the yard.

I've got some special plans for some beds. The veggie garden raised beds are going to be two (?) - maybe more later - 10' x 4' x 12" high beds, my variation on a Sunset design, with PVC pipe pieces standing up (one is visible on the lower left of this picture from Sunset, https://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/ultimate-raised-bed-how-to#raised-bed-main, video at bottom here), 4 on each long side, to hold 3/8" rebar or flexible 1/2" PVC pipe which can be covered with plastic or screen for greenhouse or anti-bug use.  The arching poles can be removed most of the year but they also hold straight poles if I want to run string between them to hold up veggie vines, tomatoes, etc.  The beds will be set 2' apart so I can run a lawnmower between them.

raised-bed-hoops-0416.jpg.aa75c5dc1bf2796f48db337d2ecd31fe.jpg!

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Our last pile was so gorgeous.  I would open the lid and it smelled so sweet and wonderful.  When we turned it out, I was in awe.  It looked just like compost that you buy in the store. 

Our compost was doing terrible for a while.  We almost gave up.  Then, my amazing husband did some reading and learned about how important grass was.  Grass is crucial to the recipe.  You need the fresh greens.  You need greens, dry leaves, some branches, and then nature just starts her magic.  Don't turn it too often and keep it moist but not soaked.

I figured out it is kinda like cooking.  :wub:

I do almost total neglect on mine and it turns out great. although it is slow. The only turning is when I remove the finished stuff and return the unreacted stuff to the pile.  No watering, but this is a rainy climate. And it is just weeds and kitchen scraps through the summer. 

• Awesome 1