What's the status of your autumnal yard cleanup?

Mr. Silly

I spent most of the weekend outside.   Gutters are clean.  The home owner chore I hate the most is cleaning gutters.  It wasn't too bad this year.  The leaves in the gutters were mostly dry.  There have been years when there was water and ice in the gutters.  That is when it truly sucks.

The trees that drop leaves in the front yard are all bare.  I think the front is done so I did a thorough leaf cleaning there.  The tree in the yard behind us is almost bare but it is still holding on to some of its leaves.  Maybe they'll be down by next weekend.  

The hedge on the side of the house still has most of its leaves.  They're just now starting to change color.  I still have a couple weeks to wait for those leaves to come down.

3 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Mowing the lawn monthly now. Growing season has slowed from the twice weekly. Hopefully the weather gets cool enough that we actually have the 2 month pause we get december

Thanks for the reminder!  I need to run the gas out of the mower.

• Haha 1

Paid some guy to mow that I would normally do.

Refusing to hire someone to pressure wash the sidewalks. Was planning to anyway as have equipment (gas pressure washer and concrete circular attachment) but receive letter from HOA. Told them where to go and would have to wait until healed (conveniently attached photo of me in ER in my letter). Also admonished them for sending to anyone this time of year as acorns are falling and are guaranteed to stain a newly cleaned sidewalk. 

• Heart 1

After we move into our new home, we will never clean gutters or the roof again.  There are no trees close to our home, and the ones that we plant will be carefully placed and carefully chosen.

Here we have this tree that is slightly a menace.  It provides shade, and it is huge.  Husband wanted to cut it down, I balked.  It is very healthy.  The leaves are obnoxious and it seeds a ton.  Elm.  :wacko:  We cleaned and raked.  It looks the same again.  I think we have one more big cleaning.,

2 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

It is. Woe is me. The county comes down are street and vacuums them up three times a season. I just have to get them to the curb.

That is nice.  We don't have that brnrfit.  In front I have to bag them and set them at the curb.  I have an area in back I can blow the leaves so that isn't too bad.  Sometimes we get an early snow which makes clean up in back a pain.

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Paid some guy to mow that I would normally do.

Refusing to hire someone to pressure wash the sidewalks. Was planning to anyway as have equipment (gas pressure washer and concrete circular attachment) but receive letter from HOA. Told them where to go and would have to wait until healed (conveniently attached photo of me in ER in my letter). Also admonished them for sending to anyone this time of year as acorns are falling and are guaranteed to stain a newly cleaned sidewalk. 

Get.  You.  Some!  I hate the HOA establishment.

I have spent approx 32 hours over the previous 4 weekends cleaning up (harvesting) leaves.  WoKzoo has added at least a dozen or more hours to that total.  We have 29 trees within 100 feet of our house that are 90 feet tall (and full of leaves).  Most are pushed, blown, raked and collected on a 12x16 ft tarp and hauled to the woods (edge of the backyard)  I have drug dozens upon dozens of full tarps to the woods.  As of this weekend most of the leaves are off the trees and leaves are harvested.  Most of the dozens of flower/landscape beds are also cleaned out.  The leaves that are still hanging on are on a few oak trees that like to hang on to about 10% of their leaves until spring.  We have gutter guards was that is taken care of.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I have spent approx 32 hours over the previous 4 weekends cleaning up (harvesting) leaves.  WoKzoo has added at least a dozen or more hours to that total.  We have 29 trees within 100 feet of our house that are 90 feet tall (and full of leaves).  Most are pushed, blown, raked and collected on a 12x16 ft tarp and hauled to the woods (edge of the backyard)  I have drug dozens upon dozens of full tarps to the woods.  As of this weekend most of the leaves are off the trees and leaves are harvested.  Most of the dozens of flower/landscape beds are also cleaned out.  The leaves that are still hanging on are on a few oak trees that like to hang on to about 10% of their leaves until spring.  We have gutter guards was that is taken care of.

I know the feeling.  The leaves that don't drop till after Thanksgiving can stay.

About once a week I get the leaf blower out and clean out the landscaping.  Then I get the JD out and use it like a giant leaf blower.  I blow the leaves (and mulch a bit) into the woods.  

Today was the day, for 3 hours. 

Most the trees are bare, but the Oak trees are holding out for a while.  Rain tomorrow may help bring down the remaining leaves.  Then at least one more day of leaf blowing.

7 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Most are pushed, blown, raked and collected on a 12x16 ft tarp and hauled to the woods (edge of the backyard)  I have drug dozens upon dozens of full tarps to the woods.

That was the plan for my old home.  I do NOT miss hauling dozens upon dozens of full tarps to the woods.  And then it would snow... and in the spring I got to rank, leaf blow and haul more leaves to the woods again.  A lap around the home raking/blowing/hauling leaves generally took a week.   3 hours is much better. 

• Heart 1

They were all cleaned up a few days ago, but the yard is heavily coated with leaves again.  Today it practically looked like it was raining with the leaves floating down.  I hope Lawrence, my dead leaf, is safe.

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

They were all cleaned up a few days ago, but the yard is heavily coated with leaves again.  Today it practically looked like it was raining with the leaves floating down.  I hope Lawrence, my dead leaf, is safe.

The same here.  After 3 days of leave removal we took two days off.  It looks like we will have to start over.  I know that's not really true because there is no depth to the leaf cover this time but the visual aspect of my front lawn is disheartening. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Lawrence might make a friend if he is lucky.  You should impale another leaf near Lawrenxe so he doesn't get lonely.

The Compost Nob had a wisp of steam rising from it when I left for work this morning, I smiled. My gutters are cleaned, outside spigots are drained, hoses are drained and stored. There is a light coating of leaves under the trees, I may run the mower over them if I get a chance and a dry day after work, but it's not that big a deal.

I have to drop the mower deck and install the snow blade on the tractor, hopefully that will scare the snow away and I won't have use it.

Still thinking about insulating the basement garage.... 

10 hours ago, Further said:

The Compost Nob had a wisp of steam rising from it when I left for work this morning, I smiled.

Yay!  And I though you had just had a typo on compost n00b. :D

When I briefly worked night shift I would arrive home at dawn to see the steam rising from the compost.  So I know the warm fuzzy that gives you. :D

Glad to have a compost buddy. :P That (**^%% scruff once made fun of me for posting aboot it. :D  The bastage!  But I do miss him.

• Heart 1

I have to go rake now even though it is wet because the yard service said they are coming tomorrow (in the pouring rain :blink:).  I think I have to get rid of them, definitely when I retaar.  They seem to be more trouble than they are worth, and I had a lot of weeds in the grass this year.  But they did do well in reseeding the big ruby brown spot out the back door.