I'm In! Maybe Next Fall?

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I've run and ridden up and down Wachusett a hundred times.  It's a nice little ski hill.

I'll give it a try.  August will be too hot, leaves won't turn yet.  September might be too early.  Maybe October?

His ride looks like it was October.  Are the days long enough up there?  He's a pro, and maybe he started out late in the day, but if he took until sunset (with stops), it might be tight?  I usually can budget 7 hours for 100 miles - about 6 riding, 1 eating/stopping/etc..  Maybe need 8 or 9 daylight hours for proper "casual" ride, or aim for less for spirited rides.

In any case, keep it in mind.  It seems like it would be a fun adventure, and a reasonable amount of us live within striking distance on that area to make it possible.

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Ugh, I'm not that fast.  My best was Mt. Washington in 6.5 rolling hours.  That included about 20 pee stops (some days are worse than others).  That ride is 109 miles and only 5k of climbing.  I doubt I could do 10k of climbing in 6 hours.

I went with an 8 or 9 hour suggestion!  Daylight is the main driver - are there 9 hours of daylight in October up there? Or, preferably 10 or 11.  Should be.  

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I went with an 8 or 9 hour suggestion!  Daylight is the main driver - are there 9 hours of daylight in October up there? Or, preferably 10 or 11.  Should be.  

You coming alone?  I don't ride with others, usually.  The wife would likely not be up for it.  If you don't mind riding with a slow guy, I'd love to give it a try.  Just not as part of a group.  Also, I need to stop, a lot.  Not for food, but to pee.  I don't need help or spectators either.

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

You coming alone?  I don't ride with others, usually.  The wife would likely not be up for it.  If you don't mind riding with a slow guy, I'd love to give it a try.  Just not as part of a group.  Also, I need to stop, a lot.  Not for food, but to pee.  I don't need help or spectators either.

I was thinking it was a good meet-up opportunity.  Pick a route (mountain to mountain), add a few points along the way to take breaks or regroup, and let folks decide to ride alone, in pairs, or more.  It isn't a race!  It looks, from the komoot profile, to be as long as 11 hrs to complete at 10mph.  In any case, another nice "bucket" item - solo or as a group.

image.thumb.png.5969d90d3782b601430891f83c852afe.png

Some short gravel sections that he mentions in the video are indicated by this: image.png.7c7737ca0427d2097b69eafb2688f3d6.png