Work on my house is finally beginning!

MickinMD

I met with the contractor today.  All of the old hardwood floor, bathroom tile, etc. has been removed and I'll have to pick out what I want to replace it - I'm sticking with hardwood floor even though I could get cheaper stuff and have the difference applied to upgrades in other areas.

I didn't realize stackable washer/dryer units exist and putting one in the corner of my kitchen would be ideal, not taking up much space, and preferable to having the washer and dryer in the basement - so I'm doing that.  All the plumbing, etc. for that is included in the house rebuild. I get to redesign the kitchen so everything is where I'd like it to be.

We're also doing so new things with the cellar steps.

The contractor is going to extend the roof of the back porch to run along the entire back side of the house so it with cover over the cellar stairway and eliminate water in the basement - there's a drain at the bottom of the steps that leads to a sump pump but gets overrun in heavy rains.  I'm waiting for the price for that.

I'm separately paying to have my entire yard 100' x 60' reduced to a clean slate so I can begin planting short stuff next Fall: probably Japanese maples in the front yard, a trellis over a picnic table with seedless grape vines in the back, a couple 10' x 4' raised beds for a veggie garden, etc..  A great price of $1500 will pay to remove: the growth on the fences, the 30' tall maple tree, the 6' x 5' diameter stump of another tree, the 12' x 12' falling-apart screenhouse, and various other vines and growth.

Next week, my sister and I are going to the contractor's headquarters to pick out various items.

• Heart 3

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I didn't realize stackable washer/dryer units exist and putting one in the corner of my kitchen would be ideal, not taking up much space, and preferable to having the washer and dryer in the basement - so I'm doing that.  All the plumbing, etc. for that is included in the house rebuild. I get to redesign the kitchen so everything is where I'd like it to be.

We had a stackable in our first place in a closet off the kitchen.  Washer on bottom, dryer up top.  It was great - relatively small footprint, and easily handled our normal sized loads of laundry.  You'll definitely like the convenience of having it closer to where you spend time. 

On 11/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, Razors Edge said:

I wonder what oven he is going to select!  Hopefully he thinks it through THOROUGHLY!

I have no idea. State Farm is basically paying to replace the very basic old stove. I'll pay extra for things I'll use or make the house easier to sell.  My sister is the expert on such things and she's going with me when we check out our options.  Basically, due to limited space, it's going to be  a basic nat. gas range with 4 burners where the self-cleaning, convection-capable oven/broiler can be completely controlled from a push-button panel to set temperature, time, etc. There will be a microwave above the hood, also to save space.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:06 PM, MickinMD said:

Next week, my sister and I are going to the contractor's headquarters to pick out various items.

WoBG and I spent months picking out all of the stuff we wanted.  We were sure we selected the stuff we needed well in advance so it could be ordered, delivered, in needed stored.  I've heard shipping containers are good to have, we used a storage facility.   We never wanted to delay the builder.

Good luck...

52 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Start taking pictures now, please.

Yeah Mick...  pictures... 

• Heart 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, MickinMD said:

I have a stackable washer and dryer. I've had both top loading and front loading. They're great. One place had them in the bathroom. The next place they were in the living room closet. Now mine are in the kitchen.

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Is your furnace still ok? Is the gas still turned on? Working all winter it will be nice to have heat.

The furnace isn't working and the basement where it sits has been flooded off and on and I'm certainly going to have a new one installed along with Central Air Conditioning which I didn't have before, with controls for the 1st floor, 2nd floor, and basement.

I imagine they'll have space heaters to heat the house while working inside, though they're going to have to replace the entire roof and parts of the walls.

16 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Are they done yet?

I wish.  At the end of October, my project manager gave a don't-hold-me-to-it guess of 6-8 months.

So I'm guessing May to July.  Right now, I paying extra and the yard is being cleared of all trees, stumps, etc. and will be a blank slate. I'll mow it in the Spring and Summer and that will give me time to plan for what trees, trellises over a picnic table, raised beds, etc. to put in place for Fall planting and to prepare for a veggie garden the following year.