Queen’sGambit

Airehead

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  Chess miniseries are rare.

I'll watch it - even though I haven't done well with the Queen's Gambit as white.

For anyone interested, a "gambit" in chess is when one side offers to give away material in order to get the opponent into an inferior position.

The Queen's Gambit is the first or left pic below. On the 2nd move, White plays his c-Pawn to a square where Black can take it ("Queen's Gambit Accepted") without giving up material.  But if Black tries to hold onto his pawn (now on c4), he ends up with an awful game so the proper play is to let White take it and even things up.

When I play my Queen's Pawn (to d4) one move 1 and Black plays his to e5, I prefer the London System Opening, the right or 2nd pic where White quickly develops pieces, getting his c1-Bishop out to f4 early where it can become active early.

image.png.1110ace141bce23a8a3b7ab2bc0a41cc.png image.png.3aa780352557a5ec97052ebcb028aec6.png

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  Chess miniseries are rare.

I'll watch it - even though I haven't done well with the Queen's Gambit as white.

For anyone interested, a "gambit" in chess is when one side offers to give away material in order to get the opponent into an inferior position.

The Queen's Gambit is the first or left pic below. On the 2nd move, White plays his c-Pawn to a square where Black can take it ("Queen's Gambit Accepted") without giving up material.  But if Black tries to hold onto his pawn (now on c4), he ends up with an awful game so the proper play is to let White take it and even things up.

When I play my Queen's Pawn (to d4) one move 1 and Black plays his to e5, I prefer the London System Opening, the right or 2nd pic where White quickly develops pieces, getting his c1-Bishop out to f4 early where it can become active early.

image.png.1110ace141bce23a8a3b7ab2bc0a41cc.png image.png.3aa780352557a5ec97052ebcb028aec6.png

We play one game every evening.  Hubby wins more often than I do.  He is too smart and calculating.  

I think moving power pieces out early is a good play.  

In regards to power, in your opinion...would you prefer to lose a knight or a bishop?

Additionally, I get confused of the rules for castling. Like, switching king and castle position in one move

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We play one game every evening.  Hubby wins more often than I do.  He is too smart and calculating.  

I think moving power pieces out early is a good play.  

In regards to power, in your opinion...would you prefer to lose a knight or a bishop?

Additionally, I get confused of the rules for castling. Like, switching king and castle position in one move

If the board is wide open and pieces can be easily moved, I'll take the bishop.  If the position is all clogged up, I'll take the knight.

The ability to stably put a knight at an advanced outpost also weighs is the calculation.  The rule of thumb is:

A knight on the first (original row) or second rank is inferior.

A knight on the third rank is poised for action.

A knight on the fourth rank is as good as a bishop.

A knight on the fifth rank is better than a bishop.

A knight on the sixth rank is usually devastating to your opponent.

When you're at the endgame with a knight and pawns vs a bishop and pawns, generally the bishop has the advantage if there are multiple pawns on both sides of the board UNLESS the board is clogged up.  Here's an interactive game from the Team Maryland vs Team Alabama Match from 2017 where I was a couple Pawns ahead, but I won for Maryland with a Knight vs a Bishop because the Bishop could only travel on dark squares and in a limited way in a clogged-up position and my Knight was much more active: https://www.chess.com/game/daily/160141532

The left (1st) pic is a key position from the game.  Notice I moved all my Black Pawns onto White Squares where the Bishop can't touch them. My Knight blocks White's King from invading the Queen (right) side of the board and is also ready to support Black Pawn advances on the Kingside where my King can add support.  From this point on, White's Bishop makes a bunch of useless moves and White resigned when we reached the right (2nd) board pic:

image.png.cae836545f99f8b2a10739b4f3467ee2.png image.png.7e09db477720fd483eb578a8b9a5af5d.png

The ability to stably put a knight at an advanced outpost also weighs is the calculation.  The rule of thumb is:

A knight on the first (original row) or second rank is inferior.

A knight on the third rank is poised for action.

A knight on the fourth rank is as good as a bishop.

A knight on the fifth rank is better than a bishop.

A knight on the sixth rank is usually devastating to your opponent.