I think the growth to 184000 new cases per day is a pretty loud alarm bell

Ralphie

Here’s a snapshot of PA. I had a dream last night where I was walking through a crowd of mostly unmasked people, which made me angry.

The only good thing is the deaths are down. Some combination of 1) we know better how to treat it, 2) it’s mutated into a less virulent form (I know it’s mutated, I just don’t know who mutations are affecting the virus and 3) a lot more younger people are getting ill. Although there are plenty of 30-somethings dying to make people think twice about being so careless in their approach.

63657A3C-8699-4C9A-A26C-1BB988D4B90C.png

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

deaths are down.

Although further West it looks like deaths are picking up.

“In El Paso, there have been so many coronavirus deaths in recent days that the county medical examiner parked five mobile morgue units — the size of trucks — outside its doors. Legacy Mortuary Service, a company that transports bodies from hospitals to funeral homes, is busier than ever, carrying 40 to 50 bodies.”

The young may not die, but they may also be scarred for life with heart and lung damage that won't show up for a while.  Immortality is only temporary.  So are morgues.

This week hundreds of thousands of college students are travelling home for the holidays.  I wonder how many grandparents will not see next years holidays because of it.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The young may not die, but they may also be scarred for life with heart and lung damage that won't show up for a while.  Immortality is only temporary.  So are morgues.

This week hundreds of thousands of college students are travelling home for the holidays.  I wonder how many grandparents will not see next years holidays because of it.

I'm pretty worried about my new living situation.  My daughter was at school, but tested twice a week.  She didn't have any live classes this semester, but she has labs next semester.  She had one friend over, I insisted everyone was masked while she was here.  She's a good kid and will comply.

No holiday get together for my family this year.

• Sad 1

I honestly don't believe we are getting an accurate picture with the numbers presented by the authorities and the news media. I feel I need more information. Normally, I'm not a guy who acts contrary to the greater good. But I need to know that my actions are effective even if they are going to be the same either way. The total failure of leadership has really got me in a bunch. I can deal with infection control procedures. What I can't deal with is the local authority telling me to not follow the procedures for the greater good. Or another telling me I can't drive through a neighborhood with the windows down in the car. Or an authority telling me to use anti-bacterial hand wipe frequently during the viral outbreak. Or the being mandated to use anti-bacterial hand wipes before I enter a hospital for regular tests. Now people are lined up in parking lots receiving marginally effective tests from nurses in raincoats and face shields.

WTF?! The little people who have sought and achieved a position of authority in our system have finally achieved their dream of telling other people what to do and it doesn't matter a whit what they say.

The four graphs at the bottom have been scaring me since later October - the reason why I've stocked up enough on food that if the store is out of most things I use, I can wait a couple weeks to find it and replenish the cushion.  It's also why my sister and BiL drove a couple hours from Central Maryland to Southern Pennsylvania to deliver a birthday present for a friend's daughter - there may be quarantine requirements for crossing the border soon for both directions.

I'm also disgusted that health and political leaders in some states are simply saying, "People are going to do whatever they want to do," when those officials have a responsibility to try to convince people to wear masks, social distance, and avoid large crowds.

Almost all people have accepted things like child seats in cars, seat belts, sending children to school, and basic health and hygiene because they've been convinced it's good for them or they'll get fined or arrested if they don't, so why not convince them to wear masks in crowded areas, avoid crowds, etc?

If you look at the data for Maryland at the bottom, note that we are almost exactly 1/50th the US population but our case and death totals, multiplied by 50, are are less than half the USA total.  We have a GOP Governor and various Democrat and GOP County Executives and Mayors and Medical Officials and they are NOT arresting and fining people for not wearing masks.  But they are united and adamant and keep driving home the point by word and by example that masks help. As a result,  virtually everyone wears masks indoors in public or in shopping center parking lots, etc. without much complaint.

Meanwhile, nearby states with no mask mandates have hospital ICU's overflowing with patients and they want to send the excess to Maryland, where our acute and ICU beds were over 1700 in the Spring but only 921 now with the ICU beds only at 218 for the entire state despite Baltimore and D.C. being COVID hotbeds.  The feeling here is that if you can't be bothered to take care of yourselves, do NOT burden and infect our medical staffs with the extra COVID cases your policies generate in your state.

image.png.3d26d7eaa2bed4cb734739977d97061d.png image.png.b8bad82e297d89b6f8e01eea9446f681.png

image.thumb.png.ad00889981e307d21db9d7b7f9416162.png

You like graphs? Check this one out. Our state is reaffirming enforcement upon directed behavior due to the increase in covid cases. The data doesn't support the action when balanced in a relative way. These numbers aren't being reported by the media and not presented by the authorities even though the information is from the government site. It's not politics, it's bad leadership. 

106065066_DailyTested.thumb.png.73b63b13cdd44c82e0867692d80ac285.png

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The only good thing is the deaths are down. Some combination of 1) we know better how to treat it, 2) it’s mutated into a less virulent form (I know it’s mutated, I just don’t know who mutations are affecting the virus and 3) a lot more younger people are getting ill. Although there are plenty of 30-somethings dying to make people think twice about being so careless in their approach.

And the first wave took out a lot of very vulnerable people.

• Sad 1

I made a point of getting paper towels today..when I found them. I am sticking to my basic grocery list and only stocking up on the usual stuff I don't want to haul in the winter.

I think soon they will close down stores, malls, and probably gyms again. I think...most hair places are following protocol.

It is complicated and stressful for everyone...

This is from Randomquiet...from the old Love Forum..He is an EMT near the MN ND border 

"We're officially standing at the point of no return here. There are no admissions accepted at any of the 3 hospitals we transport to, including if you have a life threatening condition and arrive at the ER. Unless everyone does everything they can to stop the spread of COVID, including masks and isolation, otherwise treatable conditions will be absolutely fatal because our healthcare system is overwhelmed. 

What I posted yesterday is even more true today. Healthcare workers aren't the front lines anymore. We're the absolute last ditch effort, and unless everything changes it will be nowhere near enough. I can guarantee people will needlessly die because some people felt the "need" for a "normal" life despite the threat of a lethal virus."

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The four graphs at the bottom have been scaring me since later October - the reason why I've stocked up enough on food that if the store is out of most things I use, I can wait a couple weeks to find it and replenish the cushion.  It's also why my sister and BiL drove a couple hours from Central Maryland to Southern Pennsylvania to deliver a birthday present for a friend's daughter - there may be quarantine requirements for crossing the border soon for both directions.

I'm also disgusted that health and political leaders in some states are simply saying, "People are going to do whatever they want to do," when those officials have a responsibility to try to convince people to wear masks, social distance, and avoid large crowds.

Almost all people have accepted things like child seats in cars, seat belts, sending children to school, and basic health and hygiene because they've been convinced it's good for them or they'll get fined or arrested if they don't, so why not convince them to wear masks in crowded areas, avoid crowds, etc?

If you look at the data for Maryland at the bottom, note that we are almost exactly 1/50th the US population but our case and death totals, multiplied by 50, are are less than half the USA total.  We have a GOP Governor and various Democrat and GOP County Executives and Mayors and Medical Officials and they are NOT arresting and fining people for not wearing masks.  But they are united and adamant and keep driving home the point by word and by example that masks help. As a result,  virtually everyone wears masks indoors in public or in shopping center parking lots, etc. without much complaint.

Meanwhile, nearby states with no mask mandates have hospital ICU's overflowing with patients and they want to send the excess to Maryland, where our acute and ICU beds were over 1700 in the Spring but only 921 now with the ICU beds only at 218 for the entire state despite Baltimore and D.C. being COVID hotbeds.  The feeling here is that if you can't be bothered to take care of yourselves, do NOT burden and infect our medical staffs with the extra COVID cases your policies generate in your state.

image.png.3d26d7eaa2bed4cb734739977d97061d.png image.png.b8bad82e297d89b6f8e01eea9446f681.png

image.thumb.png.ad00889981e307d21db9d7b7f9416162.png

I honestly believe that India could be under reported, because of poverty and lack of testing.  

Sadly our province is averaging 900+ new covid cases per day...Today  the local head of emergency management (he's into his 2nd last wk. before he retires) wants a 28 day circuit breaker /lockdown...over 400 doctors in province are calling for it.  He was former paramedic for 20+ plus yrs., head of EMS....so someone with alot of experience on front line.

So it's struggle of power right now with provincial leader..who doesn't give a poop about lives vs. money for businesses.