I felt like I was transported back to 1985

Scrapr

5 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

The last time I drove a U-Haul truck, it had no working heater or defroster.  When I checked under the hood, I discovered that they had disconnected and plugged the heater hoses from the heater core in the cab.

Prob had a bad heater core and they didn't want to replace it so did a quick "bush" fix.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, smudge said:

Sleeping bag on a king size mattress...yay!! Doggie snuggled up next to you? I'll bet the two of you slept well.

LOL...Eos was right next to me. We had to go out a couple times. Somewhere after midnight she paws me gently to get up & go outside. I get up (grumbling) and turn on the hall light to look for my clothes. As I'm getting my pants on she settles back down. .....she needs a night light  :)

Dogs say the darndest things

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Once when moving daughter between apartments could have used the smallest U-Haul, but none to be had as college town semester end and all taken. There was one 27 footer on the lot, diesel with a manual transmission, that everyone else had turned down due to inability to drive a manual. Her stuff tucked into a little corner of it, but got her moved. Not only was it a manual, but required double clutching for certain gears.:D

Then there was another time, bought some mattresses at Sams Club. Uhaul just down the road so rented one. Also a diesel, however a few days later they called me want me to purchase a blown engine requiring replacement after putting gasoline in it - a HUGE repair bill!. I promptly pointed out to check the out-in mileage, less than 8 miles. The fuel guage needle didn't move and I didn't have to put any fuel in it. Oops, they promptly hung up when seeing that. I guess I got lucky as the gasoline didn't mix enough into the system while I had it, but did for the person after me and it died.

Of course, if I had put fuel in it, I would have had the receipt that showed was the diesel pump.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

There was one 27 footer on the lot, diesel with a manual transmission, that everyone else had turned down due to inability to drive a manual. Her stuff tucked into a little corner of it, but got her moved. Not only was it a manual, but required double clutching for certain gears

Yeah... I had a U-Haul truck for a move once that I needed to double clutch.  Now that I think about it I rented that truck in 1984.  Not much has changed since then for U-Haul.  :huh:

On 11/16/2020 at 12:24 AM, Scrapr said:

drove a U Haul truck for 3 or 4 hours today. First of all...window cranks? Really? Second of all..no Cruise Control

It was a long hard road

We closed on the Bend house Friday. Money Brass in pocket.  I've been boxing up stuff for weeks. Finally got a weather window today. Had 3 neighbor neer do wells (kids) bring out boxes from the house to the U Haul. I was load master stacking it "high & tight". Eos & I made the drive. She was a bit skittish but settled down after a while. New noises really put her on edge. And a moving truck has lots of noises. We stopped at a snow park & she romped around in a couple feet of snow. By the last 10 or 15 miles she was done with that sheot & crying. We got out & met some neighbors. Trim carp was in the garage working. He's doing a closet system in place of the wire racks (I h8 those things) Ran to Qdoba for a burrito bowl. Then realized I do not have any chairs in the new house. So I ate on the floor. 

One more trip for the big stuff. This was all boxes mostly. The grill & garage fridge are in the truck. The big stuff is garage cabs...8' tall. And furniture. I am in a sleeping bag on a king size mattress right now. I'm putting in with @jsharr as a camping night. It's glamping

Back to Bend Monday morning to button up the Bend house

My brother and I rented a U-Haul truck a few years ago when our NJ aunt was moved into a nursing home and my sister was given the furniture in her apartment.  Same lack of amenities.