all torqued up

12string

15 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Well, I had a 3/8" drive ft lb torque wrench. It was good enough to last me 30 years. This Subaru is practically all aluminum so that's why.

But you got to buy a new torque wrench :hapydance: it's kinda like when wife goes shopping for new shoes 

• Heart 1

As I was going through the assembly on the engine components, I kept reading low level torque specs in inch pounds. Normally, low level torque on steel engines is easy to manage. The aluminum parts with steel fasteners has a whole different set of requirements. I was already upset about the labors. Add to that the need to make special tools. I know how things go but that doesn't mean I like it.

About 3 years ago I purchased a 250 ft-lb torque wrench.  :D  

I needed to tighten a trailer ball to the mount at 250 #.   I thought about that for a little while....  I inserted the ball mount into the receiver rotated 90o and used a big wrench (had to buy that too) to hold the ball, the concrete floor held that in place, and I pushed down on the torque wrench to get to 250 #.   It helps that I'm 6' 3" and 235 pounds... 

My old 125 # wrench died.  I never tried to fix it...  The ratchet pawls were slipping.  

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

About 3 years ago I purchased a 250 ft-lb torque wrench.  :D  

I needed to tighten a trailer ball to the mount at 250 #. 

When I bought my trailer for hauling the zero turn I needed to change the ball on my hitch to a larger ball. I was having trouble breaking it loose. It had been on there for thirty years. I used the same technique you did of turning the hitch a quarter turn in the receiver but I had to use my breaker bar with a five foot long cheater pipe and I stood on the end of the cheater pipe and jumped until it broke loose. It turned hard all the way off. I don’t know how many ft-lbs it took to break it loose but it would have been a lot more than 250.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

This is what we use on cranes, the 3/4 bolts are torqued to 400 ft lbs. The tightener cost about 2 grand.

That’s cool. At the forge when tightening the dies in the press we use a slug wrench with a four foot pipe welded to it and insert a die bar into the pipe. At least two guys on the bar to tighten them. When loosening them we sometime can’t break them loose with four men on the bar and have to use a fork lift.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s cool. At the forge when tightening the dies in the press we use a slug wrench with a four foot pipe welded to it and insert a die bar into the pipe. At least two guys on the bar to tighten them. When loosening them we sometime can’t break them loose with four men on the bar and have to use a fork lift.

The driver tightens them very easily, you can use one hand without any problems 

Generally use a torch to remove them 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

There are some specifications that include the engineering of fasteners. For example, your torque spec may be expressed in degrees of turn after a foot pound value is reached.

I thought the guideline was tighten it until in breaks then back it off a quarter turn?  Is that old information? :scratchhead:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I had a car that the front axle nuts required 250 in lbs and needed a 46 mm socket. My old beam torque wrench only did 150. So I would tighten to 150 then use a breaker bar with a long pipe slid over it to tighten to the next cotter pin hole aligned to the castlelated nut. 

I meant to type Foot Pounds.