I'm in a foul efin mood - who wants a dog

Square Wheels

I love my daughter dearly, but this frickin dog needs to go.

Totally untrained wild animal.  Plus, it looks mostly Pitbull, so I'll admit to being a little afraid.

Jumped up on my wife's chair in the living room, couldn't get her off.  Went to scoot her off, she snapped at me.  Went to pull her by her collar she snapped at me.  I dumped her out of the chair, she jumped on mine.  Dumped her off that one, really hard, she jumped right back on.  One more round with a lot of yelling, she stayed off.

Now she's sitting on my feet like we're best friends.

My cat has not come out of my room since yesterday.  Stuck under the bed - she's too fat to get out.  No food, no water, no litterbox.  Last night the dog chased her all over the house.  Cat not too happy.

Destroyed the door in my daughter's room.  The wall will be pretty much toast soon.  Doing a number on the crate I bought Sunday, I suspect that will be unusable in a week.  Really hard to walk. 

Daughter went to work, left her in the crate because we weren't home.  I let her out to take her for a walk, ran down the stairs and peed on the rug in front of the sink.

Walking her is a lot of pulling.  It's not fun.

I've spent a lot of money on this beast.

I'm angry as heck, and tired.

Who wants a dog?

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

Hopefully she settles in soon.  Adjustments are hard on dogs & people but once she gets the routine down and understands what you want her to do it’ll get better. It can be hard but good on ya for hanging in there.

But what’s up with the snapping?  You gotta nip that in the bud quickly.

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Daughter went to work, left her in the crate because we weren't home.  I let her out to take her for a walk, ran down the stairs and peed on the rug in front of the sink.

You just told me the crate needs to be in the garage. 

How long was the dog in the crate?  Some dogs need to go outside every 2 - 3 hours.  Especially when they are in a new environment. 

I'm sure the dog is still VERY nervous / scared / anxiety / etc...   The nipping may (or may not) be just a reaction to change. 

Sorry 2 dogs is our limit.   All the recent ones have been rescued dogs.  Some needed more love than others.  

Good luck..  

Just to be clear, 99+% of the time it is the owner, not the dog.  Dogs basically went thousands of years evolving to match and respond to our (humans) requirements.  Again, it's not that your daughter is a bad owner, but she may be an inexperienced and/or inattentive owner.  She also inherited behavior issues from the prior owners (sort of karma???), but it is not the dog's fault and usually not the dog's desire.  They, like children, can be driven by TONS of fear and anxiety, and being essentially two year olds with teeth, it is not hard to understand they react in ways we - as decades old adult humans - would not react.

It is definitely important to get on top of creating a routine, creating clear hierarchy, and also, as I mentioned in the original thread , lots of exercise to wear the dog out daily.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is definitely important to get on top of creating a routine, creating clear hierarchy, and also, as I mentioned in the original thread , lots of exercise to wear the dog out daily.

Trying.  I'm not home most of the time.  Daughter has broken fingers from trying to walk her, so that won't be happening for a while.  I've been walking her when I get home.  No more exercising for me I guess.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Trying.  I'm not home most of the time.  Daughter has broken fingers from trying to walk her, so that won't be happening for a while.  I've been walking her when I get home.  No more exercising for me I guess.

You are trying.  But just putting in the "effort" doesn't mean the efforts are in the right direction.  Likewise, it is not your dog, it is your daughter's dog, so much of the effort needs to be put in by her.

We're on the internet so we can easily tell you what to do and tell you what you are doing wrong :D but honestly, we have a bunch of dog folks here and a few actual dog experts (not me), and we like having you alive, so hopefully we can give you some support, help, ideas, etc.. 

When we got our pup - about 1 yrs old - we took her to the basic PetSmart obedience classes (half dozen or so?).  It was worth it, but she was not an uncontrollable aggressive dog by any stretch. At 20 lbs, she can be restrained with a finger, and even just picked up if necessary.  You, on the other hand, may be in for a very tough class if it involves multiple large breed dogs and you still have no easy way to keep your dog tucked in at your side.  Be wary of going into a "generic" class and expecting one-on-one and intense training. That comes for more $$$ and by other trainers not likely to be teaching the PetSmart classes. 

Secondly, not to harp on this, but your daughter is the owner and hopefully the alpha.  I get the "she needs money or I am supporting her" idea (a chronic parenting issue), but I'll hazard a guess your time and energy and peace of mind are an order of magnitude - at least - more valuable than hers.  Maybe she's clerking for a Supreme Court justice, but if not, and it's not an internship or position of critical importance to her future adult career, it doesn't make a ton of sense for you to relieve her of the dog's responsibility at your expense to keep her in a normal entry-level job.  The parents of adult kids here should chime in to offer their ideas and support, but I know I would have a hard time seeing my kid go off to a $15/hr "normal" job while I was left home - after 8+hrs and a shitty commute - to deal with my kid's dog.  

My wife, like sooooooo many college kids, got a puppy in college while at UVA.  Shocker! She and her housemates had NO EFFING CLUE how to raise a dog, go to class, have PT jobs, and have social lives. Luckily for her, her roommate (co-owner) was able to convince her boyfriend's parents (with a small farm) to eventually take the dog.  The pup had a wonderful farm life (and we're still friends with the parents).  IOW, you're daughter is in the same boat a bazillion young adults have found themselves in over the years, but sadly, it's landing in your lap right now.

Hoping it gets better as the dog gets used to you and the home.

27 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do not, I repeat do not go to Petsmart for training. I try to be even keel here at the forum but I will voice a hard no to this.

You have a rescue dog from unknown situation that has had a move and been introduced to new people. Too much too fast, no wonder the poor dog is acting out. Maybe last person place he could sit on furniture. Who knows.

The crate aggression sounds like pure panic to me. I have been involved in dog rescue since 1976. I have seen this many times.  Imagine for a moment you are scared Nd in a new place, you might panic too, especially if,ly if the door was locked.

Please consider doing three things. One talk to @Couch. He took a very stressed dog and has build a fabulous companion. Email him, text him.  He has also worked out strategies for dogs and cats to live together  

Two-  see you vet to discuss medication to help the poor dog cope. A little Prozac may build the bridge you need.

Three-  get a truly experienced trainer who will stArt with one to one lessons In your home. As an advocate for the dog here, please do not throw him in a loud chaotic place, another new place.  Please don’t put him with other dogs that are more strangers. It is like,y they are strangers with bad habits too. Please don’t leave the training of a dog that has been through this much to chance. The dog deserves more. 

if this gets me kicked out, really too bad. I must be an advocate for the canine when no one else seems to be seeing the world through his eyes. 

Kicked out? Shoot this post better lock you in!  Great advice!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

14 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Hopefully she settles in soon.  Adjustments are hard on dogs & people but once she gets the routine down and understands what you want her to do it’ll get better. It can be hard but good on ya for hanging in there.

But what’s up with the snapping?  You gotta nip that in the bud quickly.

Agree.  They are smart dogs, eager to please.  I would not think it would take much for her to start behaving right.  Going to be an adjustment for both of you.

And no, I don't want a dog.  

27 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Agree.  They are smart dogs, eager to please.  I would not think it would take much for her to start behaving right.  Going to be an adjustment for both of you.

And no, I don't want a dog.  

Look up some of the stories on Michael Vick's dogs.  Raised to fight, adopted by folks, and many thrived.  Probably most are gone by now, but they often lived full and happy lives.

This one is about to eat his face:

image.png.bceaf6d8e2644298b8a1dbefeeb0d26a.png

This one is applying the "play dead and then eat her" approach:

image.png.27b5b0ecc0679e78327e8fab573ad695.png

...and I think this photo was the last one ever taken by the poor photographer before he was devoured!

image.png.b7a1908f706c76a3405470382cdd44da.png

• Haha 2

There will be bedroom reassignments this weekend.  I need to accept the dog will now destroy another room in the house, but the cat is losing her mind.  Yesterday she was too afraid to come out.  She stayed in our room for over 24 hours with no food, water, or litterbox.  We'll move all that upstairs, and the dog will stay downstairs.  Gate on the steps.

Looking for a private trainer to come to our house.

Will consider a vet visit and antianxiety (for me and the dog).

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

There will be bedroom reassignments this weekend.  I need to accept the dog will now destroy another room in the house, but the cat is losing her mind.  Yesterday she was too afraid to come out.  She stayed in our room for over 24 hours with no food, water, or litterbox.  We'll move all that upstairs, and the dog will stay downstairs.  Gate on the steps.

Looking for a private trainer to come to our house.

Will consider a vet visit and antianxiety (for me and the dog).

Don't forget meds for the cat