What are they?

donkpow

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They almost look like catalytic converters but where would they get that many that are all alike? 

Someone cut the converter out of one of our work vehicles this summer. Apparently there is a good market for them.

8 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Catalytic converters contain several grams of platinum and other metals that are worth acquiring. From a CC recycling website: 

1C0CEEC4-FC30-4BD4-A7A6-FB16269DB9E2.png

Whoa! That has to be sale prices and not purchase prices. Otherwise, no automobile would be safe from scavengers. It would be like the Walking Dead out there.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Whoa! That has to be sale prices and not purchase prices. Otherwise, no automobile would be safe from scavengers. It would be like the Walking Dead out there.

Almost 3000 stolen in the first half of 2019 in London alone.   https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49767195#:~:text=For the first six months,they exit the exhaust pipe.

I'm willing to guess that the numbers are equally large in parts of the US.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Almost 3000 stolen in the first half of 2019 in London alone.   https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49767195#:~:text=For the first six months,they exit the exhaust pipe.

I'm willing to guess that the numbers are equally large in parts of the US.

When I had an F150, I was told to install a cover over the catalytic converter to keep it from being stolen. Trucks and lifted trucks were targets as they could scoot under with a sawzall and cut one off in under 5 minutes. Didn’t do it and never had mine stolen.

• Heart 1