28 cans of paint.

JerrySTL

Actually there were 30 cans of Latex and enamel paints (28 in the photo) plus many spray cans, plus thinners, wood cleaners, and stains. My sister and I were cleaning out my mother's and step-father's house to sell it. They are in assisted living. I found all this paint in various places around the house and garage. I had to mix in some hardener chemicals for the latex paint and use kitty litter for the enamel paints so that the garbage truck will pick them up. Some of the cans were already dried up. A neighbor took the thinners, cleaners, and stains. We also found a few hundred rounds of ammunition (45, 30-06, and 22 LR) in various places plus gun cleaning and reloading kits. We got rid of the actual guns a couple of years ago when Chuck started to lose it mentally. A gun shop bought the ammo and stuff.

We also found a lot of silverware and silver coins plus some gold rings and necklaces. That brought in over $3000.

Literally tons of junk. Chuck's son rented a U-Haul and filled it twice. a neighbor who was very helpful over the years took a lot of tools, the items mentioned above, plus some furniture. We boxed up good stuff to donate to charity. Then we called 1-800-GOT-JUNK to remove the rest. 

Please do your kids a favor and throw out useless junk early and often.

20201116_094009.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

We are guilty of the paint cans! You paint a room and you keep the leftover paint in case you need to touch up. Years go by and the paint is bad and the room has been repainted. We got rid of most of ours this summer, but I found a few in the corner of the garage over the weekend that need to go. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

You’re a good man Jerry. Been there, doing that. Because we’ve seen it, we are starting now to prepare for a move in March. Our son is shocked that we are boxing stuff now. He doesn’t see the stuff we’re selling, donating and throwing out. 

At least this time you don’t have to deal with LAJ’s stuff.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

And while you old people are at it, make your wishes known.  If you have some shit that is worth money (tools, guns, etc) let everyone know who is supposed to have those.

My dad bought numerous tools for my granddad over the years.  One would think that tools should be passed down to kids.  But My aunt decided to have an auction.  My dad had to sit there and watch strangers carry off a lifetime of tools that he had bought his dad over the years.  Tools that they paid pennies on the dollar for.  

• Sad 5

When I was redoing my rental duplex for the last time after I got rid of all the carpet and got the floors ready for new wall to wall carpet I turned the kids loose painting all the floors to seal them to prevent any smells from coming up through the new carpet. All the odds and ends of paint from all the times we had to repaint were at their disposal plus some full cans we never opened. They mixed a bunch of them in a five gallon bucket and did the floors. Then they took different colors and had fun. They painted comments, cartoon characters, turtles, a where’s Waldo. They signed some of their artwork. This was to be a surprise for the next people to change the carpet. That was 27 years ago, I wonder if they have replaced the carpet yet? Used up all the paint and had fun with it.

• Awesome 4

10 minutes ago, dennis said:

My mom has been working on getting rid of stuff. She called me and said she found a gun in the garage.

M: I found a gun in the garage. Do you think it was your father's?

D: Does it say Daisy on the side?

M: Yes, yes  it does?

D: Is there a coffee can of bb's close by?

Still could shoot your eye out!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

And while you old people are at it, make your wishes known.  If you have some shit that is worth money (tools, guns, etc) let everyone know who is supposed to have those.

My dad bought numerous tools for my granddad over the years.  One would think that tools should be passed down to kids.  But My aunt decided to have an auction.  My dad had to sit there and watch strangers carry off a lifetime of tools that he had bought his dad over the years.  Tools that they paid pennies on the dollar for.  

I think I would have bought them all at the garage sale price and told her to take it out of your portion of the garage sale proceeds....

I have a garage full of tools I inherited from my father in law.   He knew if he gave them to his son, they would end up in a pawn shop.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, dennis said:

My mom has been working on getting rid of stuff. She called me and said she found a gun in the garage.

M: I found a gun in the garage. Do you think it was your father's?

D: Does it say Daisy on the side?

M: Yes, yes  it does?

D: Is there a coffee can of bb's close by?

I found guns in the attic at my father in law’s house when I was trying to clean it out. They looked like foreign junk revolvers and crap guns. I left them there to be dealt with later. My wife got sick and I couldn’t work on it anymore. I managed to clean the entire basement and dad’s office. I tried to get my wife’s siblings involved but all they wanted to do was say we should have a garage/yard sale. I told them to have at it, I’m not doing that.

If I would have had more time I would have cleaned out the attic (dumpster bait) there was a salt and pepper shaker collection from all over the world. Second hand store would probably take then or I could have pitched them. Lots of China and glassware. I predicted if it wasn’t dealt with in the end they would have to pay someone to clean it out.

I did find dad’s coin collection. Probably $1,000 face value. I looked up the going price on eBay for each proof set. Not near the investment my father in law was expecting. I put it back where I found it and told my sister in law the estimated value.

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I tried to get my wife’s siblings involved but all they wanted to do was say we should have a garage/yard sale. I told them to have at it, I’m not doing that.

Last month my sister-in-law said that we should have an estate sale. We said go for it but it has to be done by November 15th. It didn't happen and she didn't help us clean the place up. However she did say that we made a mistake not having the estate sale. She and my brother live nearby while my sister and I both live hours away. I basically told her to STFU and I'm not going to help clean up the mess when her father dies. She's also the sister of my brother-in-law who we had to move into assisted living and then a nursing home. Her help there was minimal at best. Unfortunately I didn't piss her off bad enough where she won't speak to me again. I'll try harder next time.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

she did say that we made a mistake not having the estate sale

Well, you did!

But in all seriousness, folks are azzclowns.  Do it yourself or stop talking to me about it. If she wanted an estate sale, she could have had it.  My dad passed away and his wife is still living.  There is a TON of stuff in the house - she is a collector (not a hoarder, though), so one whole room will be teddy bears or christmas stuff.  Anyway, I'm sure tucked away in the attic or basement storage is a ton of stuff from my dad's childhood or stuff I remember him having (like a lot of O gauge trains from the 50s), but I have no desire to add more stuff to my current stuff!  I keep telling my siblings they can have my "share", and luckily several have young kids so some of that stuff can be good for them and into next generations.  Have at it, sisters and brothers, but leave me out of the chaos.

• Heart 1

My mom had been in her house 50 years and it took several months to clean it when she passed.  When she was in the hospital & hospice we started the process but there was just so much shit it took forever.  

She’s been gone 7 years now and my sister still has a bunch of her shit she doesn’t know what to do with but can’t get herself to toss...

When my MIL passed, we got the opportunity clean out her home.  WoBG had 2 sisters. One sister wanted nothing to do with the car of her mother, or cleaning out the home.  One sister and BLI helped.

The basement was FULL of crap.  It took more than a few days to clean out the home.  We had 3 sorting categories;  1) garbage, 2) donations, and 3) keep.   I told WoBG we don't need anything to keep other than just a few things to remember you mother.   (she kept way more than I expected)

We put LOTS of crap out for the garbage.  As we are putting the stuff out, people who were driving by were stopping to take stuff.   It's amazing what people took.  We donated most of the better stuff.

Then we had to sell the home to pay back the state for the Medicaid expenses for the nursing home. 

When we cleaned our our old home to sell, I had 8 cans of paint and/or stain in my garage.   

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I agree. I’ve heard too many similar stories about one sibling or another (or second wife) who made uni-lateral decisions based on power of attorney or guardianship. Write stuff down, tell everyone it’s written down, no matter how insignificant it seems. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We put LOTS of crap out for the garbage.  As we are putting the stuff out, people who were driving by were stopping to take stuff.   It's amazing what people took

Where my father in law lived they had a annual trash pickup day where they will take anything you drag to the curb. I found out about it a day and a half before it happened. I spent twelve hours the one day hauling stuff out. Dad had a shed that had his tractor, a broken lawn sweeper, a trailer and assorted crap that he stored there instead of throwing it away. As fast as I could haul stuff to the curb people were stopping and grabbing it. There was an old cat carrier that had been under a shelf that had mice nests on it. The cat carrier had about a quarter inch of accumulated mouse crap and pee on it. I wore rubber gloves and loaded it on the wheel barrow and took it to the curb. By the time I brought the next load to the curb someone was loading it in their truck and drove off. Old wheels with the tires on them were gone in no time. A homemade antique looking lamp that was broke was taken and an old upholstered chair that was full of mice. unbelievable what the pack rats will take when it’s free.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still fuming about my dad's wife selling the 200 acres that was part of my grandparents' farm.  And giving away the Finnish gun my dad promised for my nephew.

HoSmudge did a great job with his folk's estate. Unfortunately his sister's "helped" throw stuff out. Apparently they haven't a single sentimental bone in their bodies; my kids were not happy about missing out on some stuff from Gma and Gpa.