Avoid Cincinnati

JerrySTL

Unlike Cleveland, the river didn't catch fire. However the I-75 Brent Spence bridge over the Ohio river did. Two trucks crashed on the lower deck and one of them was carrying some very flammable chemicals. The bridge is shut down until Christmas at the earliest and major steel beams need to be replaced. That bridge needed replacing decades ago and is a bottleneck at the best of times. Traffic is being diverted to I-275 which takes more miles plus isn't built for all the extra traffic. It's a mess.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Unlike Cleveland, the river didn't catch fire. However the I-75 Brent Spence bridge over the Ohio river did. Two trucks crashed on the lower deck and one of them was carrying some very flammable chemicals. The bridge is shut down until Christmas at the earliest and major steel beams need to be replaced. That bridge needed replacing decades ago and is a bottleneck at the best of times. Traffic is being diverted to I-275 which takes more miles plus isn't built for all the extra traffic. It's SNAFU.

Agreed. The bridge, which carries I-75 and I-71 across the Ohio river, was declared functionally obsolete by the FHA in 1998. 

• Sad 1

Back in the eighties the Neville Island bridge on Rt 51 caught fire. It was closed for a very long time. We referred to it as the burning bridge for years. Further up the island was the I-79 broken bridge. A fairly new bridge that broke and was closed for months until they repaired it. They didn’t have much luck with bridges.

28 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

That or a boat ride on the Anderson Ferry.

My brothers both live in Cincy but work in Northern Kentucky. Their commutes are about 30-45 minutes longer each way. One tried the Anderson Ferry and lots and lots of people had the same idea.

BTW: From Erlanger to Anderson Ferry / River Road was a favorite bike ride when I was a kid. Up and down that bluff was quite a challenge on a single speed coaster brake bike made out of lead. I have done it a few years ago on a CF Trek with a triple and had problems. I think my power to weight ratio was much better when I was 13. I know the weight part was.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I guess it'll be the Northern Kentucky Airport for a while now.

There is an airport in Cincinnati called Lunken (AKA Cincinnati Municipal Airport). It has a few problems because it's in a valley very near the Ohio and Little Miami Rivers. (1) It floods at times. (2) It's foggy frequently. (3) The runways aren't very long. (4) Hills right at the end of the runways. (5) No room for expansion.

However there are some excellent bike paths around it.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Back in the eighties the Neville Island bridge on Rt 51 caught fire. It was closed for a very long time. We referred to it as the burning bridge for years. Further up the island was the I-79 broken bridge. A fairly new bridge that broke and was closed for months until they repaired it. They didn’t have much luck with bridges.

Been over that one many times. Used to take that route into McKees Rocks.

Just now, Longjohn said:

I had regular deliveries in KcKees rocks. When the burning bridge was closed the road we had to take was horrible for a big truck. 

I used to deliver to a terminal right under the McKees Rock bridge. You had to go part way across the bridge and then exit before you cross the river, 

We had a driver that died of a heart attack in that place while he was unloading. That was about 30 years ago.