Quote of the Day: Leo Buscaglia

Inspiration Bot

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Leo is another random thought generator in the basement of Hallmark.

Buscaglia reminded a self-centered generation that moments of genuine connection are more important than the pursuit of material objects. He told us to put down the Hallmark card and go hug the person instead. Ask what mattered to them on that day, listen, and share the moment. He told us to eat bread and butter in the garden. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Buscaglia reminded a self-centered generation that moments of genuine connection are more important than the pursuit of material objects. He told us to put down the Hallmark card and go hug the person instead. Ask what mattered to them on that day, listen, and share the moment. He told us to eat bread and butter in the garden. 

Sorry.  Change is the result of change.  There is nothing mystical to see here.  One might as well use the quote attributed to Carl Werthman in 1964 "shit happens".  The quote however is most often used to explain bad things.  It should be used to explain most things.

Something happens.  We observe it and learn from it.  That is the source of all learning.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I also object to the concept that one man's philosophy and teachings can be contained in some random one line quote.

I think the one line quote is simply intended to remind us of another’s positive philosophy and possibly to inspire us to meditate on those things that are good.

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

I think the one line quote is simply intended to remind us of another’s positive philosophy and possibly to inspire us to meditate on those things that are good.

It may be wrong to assign "positive" or "good" to the quote.  Looking at it in isolation - "Change is the end result of all true learning." - I don't see anything indicating change is good, positive, or anything other than a change. Maybe we need the rest of the story?

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It may be wrong to assign "positive" or "good" to the quote.  Looking at it in isolation - "Change is the end result of all true learning." - I don't see anything indicating change is good, positive, or anything other than a change. Maybe we need the rest of the story?

Perspective, no?

If one accepts that ‘learning’ is positive, then should not the change based on said learning be positive as well?

However, my comment was addressing maddmaxx’s observation and was being applied generally to my perceived conception regarding the nature of these quotes from the bot... 

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Perspective, no?

If one accepts that ‘learning’ is positive, then should not the change based on said learning be positive as well?

However, my comment was addressing maddmaxx’s observation and was being applied generally to my perceived conception regarding the nature of these quotes from the bot... 

Is all learning positive?  I think not.  For example is what a son learns from his racist father that leads him to become a racist "positive".  That was my original objection.  The quotes are generalities that are mostly just "feel goods" with little application in the real world.  I pick on Hallmark Cards for a very good reason.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is all learning positive?  I think not.  For example is what a son learns from his racist father that leads him to become a racist "positive".  That was my original objection.  The quotes are generalities that are mostly just "feel goods" with little application in the real world.  I pick on Hallmark Cards for a very good reason.

Again, perspective.  Using your example in real life, what I learned from racist parents led me down a different path. 

But I think we can agree that the intent of the ‘bumper sticker’ philosophy we’re witnessing from the ‘bot (or Hallmark) is intended to be positive. 

We’ll each either drink from our glass or let it sit....

6 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Again, perspective.  Using your example in real life, what I learned from racist parents led me down a different path. 

But I think we can agree that the intent of the ‘bumper sticker’ philosophy we’re witnessing from the ‘bot (or Hallmark) is intended to be positive. 

We’ll each either drink from our glass or let it sit....

That's one technique to invalidate an example.  However what you are demonstrating is my point that "learning" can be positive or negative.  It's not the absolute that the quote surmised.  That's at the heart of my objections to many of IB"s one liners.  We are becoming a nation of one liners.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's one technique to invalidate an example.  However what you are demonstrating is my point that "learning" can be positive or negative.  It's not the absolute that the quote surmised.  That's at the heart of my objections to many of IB"s one liners.  We are becoming a nation of one liners.

Again though, what is the intent?  Initially you stated “I also object to the concept that one man's philosophy and teachings can be contained in some random one line quote.”

To which my reply was “I think the one line quote is simply intended to remind us of another’s positive philosophy and possibly to inspire us to meditate on those things that are good.”

My comment wasn’t intended to indicate that all learning was ‘good’, but rather to demonstrate that the intent of the one liner is to help us contemplate on something that can indeed be positive.  I maintain that approach.

i agree that a person’s ideals, thoughts and ideology cannot simply be summed up in a single sentence.  And I personally prefer depth to brevity. 

But when brevity is displayed, I attempt to ascertain the intent and hope for the best.  😊 

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Again though, what is the intent?  Initially you stated “I also object to the concept that one man's philosophy and teachings can be contained in some random one line quote.”

To which my reply was “I think the one line quote is simply intended to remind us of another’s positive philosophy and possibly to inspire us to meditate on those things that are good.”

My comment wasn’t intended to indicate that all learning was ‘good’, but rather to demonstrate that the intent of the one liner is to help us contemplate on something that can indeed be positive.  I maintain that approach.

i agree that a person’s ideals, thoughts and ideology cannot simply be summed up in a single sentence.  And I personally prefer depth to brevity. 

But when brevity is displayed, I attempt to ascertain the intent and hope for the best.  😊 

One might as well IMO stand in the grocery store and read the Hallmark cards while wondering what the author meant by it.  IB is fun, but mostly as something to poke fun at.  That's my point.

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

One might as well IMO stand in the grocery store and read the Hallmark cards while wondering what the author meant by it.  IB is fun, but mostly as something to poke fun at.  That's my point.

I write poetry. I have been doing so since I was very young.  All of what I write is very personal and has multiple layers of depth and meaning that most who read it would never ascertain simply because there is so much about the private ‘me’ in those words that it would take a mind reader to know the ‘intent’.  But in the layers of the stanzas, there is surface meaning to be gleaned on a more superficial level and Im often amazed at how some are interpreted by the few I’ve shared them with.   My daughter once told me, “You're writing is amazing! And if I don't understand the first round I've learned to just wait a couple years and try again.”  😂 

But I always hope the ‘takeaway’ is positive even with some of the writings dealing with darker emotions.

But all writers intend to evoke something in their audience - even the Hallmark writers. 

Listen to the leaves, maxx.  There is wisdom in their whispering....   😉 

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

I write poetry. I have been doing so since I was very young.  All of what I write is very personal and has multiple layers of depth and meaning that most who read it would never ascertain simply because there is so much about the private ‘me’ in those words that it would take a mind reader to know the ‘intent’.  But in the layers of the stanzas, there is surface meaning to be gleaned on a more superficial level and Im often amazed at how some are interpreted by the few I’ve shared them with.   My daughter once told me, “You're writing is amazing! And if I don't understand the first round I've learned to just wait a couple years and try again.”  😂 

But I always hope the ‘takeaway’ is positive even with some of the writings dealing with darker emotions.

But all writers intend to evoke something in their audience - even the Hallmark writers. 

Listen to the leaves, maxx.  There is wisdom in their whispering....   😉 

True.  Fire works better than ice.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Something happens.  We observe it and learn from it.  That is the source of all learning.

Hmmm....   I'd suggest that many times;  something happens and some people take notice and possibly observe, most people don't have a clue and never saw anything.