The ubiquitous small block chevrolet....redux

maddmaxx

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-new-crate-motor-by-ev-west-and-revolt-fits-just-like-a-small-block-chevy/?utm_source=Taboola&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=6475106&utm_content=_2938227086&utm_term=nbcnews.com&campaign_code=__Desktop&tblci=GiAbfNdRxBYJXvBhsQWAKsKiFD5AqLBd9CtlPKlO2WGR9iDuq08#tblciGiAbfNdRxBYJXvBhsQWAKsKiFD5AqLBd9CtlPKlO2WGR9iDuq08

120454246_3674689499255371_6786934358470810795_o.jpg

As the article says, it's still a bit pricey at 35K with all the external drive equipment and software, but it's a bold in swap for the most common motor mod in the world.  533 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque will make for some interesting hot rods at the car shows.

Yea, I was really reading until I saw the price tag.  Surely that will drop.  I was thinking that would be a great bolt in for Griffin's little truck!  It is a Toyota but of course the most common swap (other than other toyota motors) is a SBC.  

Our son's creed is "Its only money" so he wants to get an LS small block Chevy motor installed in his Miata and has been trying to talk me into doing the same with ours. When I told him I was waiting for the tech to catch up, and I'd prefer an electric motor swap instead. His argument is that an LS swap would ONLY cost $20,000 including transmission/drivetrain upgrades. This was after he paid $8000 installing a supercharger a few years ago. I told him, using his "Its only money" argument, what's another ten/fifteen grand to get what I want?;)

https://ls1tech.com/articles/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-ls-swap-a-mazda-miata/

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, team scooter said:

Our son's creed is "Its only money" so he wants to get an LS small block Chevy motor installed in his Miata and has been trying to talk me into doing the same with ours. When I told him I was waiting for the tech to catch up, and I'd prefer an electric motor swap instead. His argument is that an LS swap would ONLY cost $20,000 including transmission/drivetrain upgrades. This was after he paid $8000 installing a supercharger a few years ago. I told him, using his "Its only money" argument, what's another ten/fifteen grand to get what I want?;)

https://ls1tech.com/articles/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-ls-swap-a-mazda-miata/

I am a HUGE fan of box stock. :D

My totally stock Miata always brings a smile to my face. An LS Flying Miata would be fun if I had room in the garage for more toys. 

I could see the electric/SBC swap in several projects. I would love to have a late 60s - 70s big boat convertible with a modern drivetrain. Not for performance, but for trouble free driving. We have couples we like to spend time with. They love the fun we have with our Miata. It would be great to have a vehicle that could share the experience with a larger group. Heck, some of those old boats, you could share a car and STILL get proper social distancing! :D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I worry would handle like crap.  Seems like a lot of work.  You need a whole new suspension too.  Just buy a Tesla.

I was looking for a weight figure for comparision on drivetrains. I also saw fittings on the motor. Not sure if they are for cooling or if a cooling system is needed. If not, drop the cooling system, the fuel tank (and fuel) and pumps. Right there, you are talking roughly 300 lbs dropped. I'm guessing that drivetrain will save significant weight over a conventional engine and transmission. Suddenly things start to balance out a little more. I'm not saying it's an even balance, but I don't know that the weight gain will be any worse than having an extra passenger or 2 in the car. I would certainly notice that in my Miata. In a large convertible, not so much...

57 minutes ago, groupw said:

I was looking for a weight figure for comparision on drivetrains. I also saw fittings on the motor. Not sure if they are for cooling or if a cooling system is needed. If not, drop the cooling system, the fuel tank (and fuel) and pumps. Right there, you are talking roughly 300 lbs dropped. I'm guessing that drivetrain will save significant weight over a conventional engine and transmission. Suddenly things start to balance out a little more. I'm not saying it's an even balance, but I don't know that the weight gain will be any worse than having an extra passenger or 2 in the car. I would certainly notice that in my Miata. In a large convertible, not so much...

You're probably right.  My car is smaller than my wife's.

Wife's car, tesla 3

3,554 to 4,036

My car, 440i convertible

The Revolt Systems home page gives the specs for the motor as 

Rated Power: 400-450kW or 603 hp

Torque: 800+ [lb-ft] at the yoke

RPM: 8000 max at the yoke

Current: 1000 Amps

Weight: 300 Lbs

Input Voltage: 275-400 Volts

Length: 43" Inches 

Width: 13.5" 

Height: 15”

I'd say it was more of a startup company however.  

58 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

An impressive motor for sure, be proud to drop it in my golf cart any day, but what are the battery requirements?

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Bigass!

It's difficult to say.  Revolt is difficult to track.  There is a ReVolt battery reclamation business, Revolt Motors (electric motorcycles) and some other versions of the name, at least on of which went out of business in 2018???

The heart of most of the conversions seems to be Tesla motors and reclaimed Tesla batteries.  The batteries are modular with individual 25 volt packs that can be ganged together in whatever configuration you can handle.

13 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

So based on that weight vs SBC/Turbo 350 trans. You’re looking at dropping another 400 lbs, at least. 

• Heart 1