I'm Back, Baby!

Road Runner

Yeah, this concerns me a bit. Why rush?

I'm not getting any younger.   :)

I don't think I rushed it.  My doctor is pretty conservative and his three month statement was not something based on my current condition.  It was just an estimate that he threw out about 6 weeks ago to give me a ballpark idea of how long my recuperation would be (I think).  

Sitting around the house doing small projects was not helping me.  My conditioning was sliding away and lately I have been feeling like crap.  After today's ride, I felt great.  My bad knee is improved, my back hurts less than usual and my spirits are much better than yesterday.  Riding is like an elixir for me and has been for the past 11 years.  It is why I continue to ride at my age when many have advised me to stop.  If I stop riding, I may as well stop living.  I may not be as fast as I used to be and unable to ride long distances, and my injuries and my age may be taking their toll, but it is what I do

I'm not getting any younger. :)

I don't think I rushed it. My doctor is pretty conservative and his three month statement was not something based on my current condition. It was just an estimate that he threw out about 6 weeks ago to give me a ballpark idea of how long my recuperation would be (I think).

. I'm sorry, but I forgot that you were a doctor.

Being cautious and taking the recovery slowly won't hurt anything, but rushing it might.

You mean it's only been 8 weeks that you've been sitting around, whining and bitching about your accident and how you feel????  My, it doesn't feel like a day over 18 weeks!!!!    :P

So glad you're back.

Warning to all the stationary gates and locked places………  Mr. Runner is BACK!

• Heart 1

Don't overdo it, but yay, glad you were able to ride.

I've been trying to do some slow rides.  Before now I've only had one speed, as fast as I could go.  That doesn't mean I was fast, but I always pushed as hard as I could on my rides.  I've done the ride to and from work a bunch of times now.  When I ride really hard and get here or home in less than 2 hours, I'm impressed and feel great.  When I ride slow and smile at the little kids on bikes and enjoy the fog in the meadow, that's equally awesome.

• Heart 1

This is the kind of report I expected to be giving after my crash where I broke my hip.  The doctor said I would be off my leg, no weight bearing for at least six weeks.  I thought that's for normal people I'll be back on the bike in four.  It didn't happen, my old bones just took their good old time to heal and every six weeks at the check up they would look at x-rays and tell me six more weeks.  It took me three long months for the bone growth to be good enough to be off restriction.

Glad to see you back in the saddle again.  Maybe you can get the park service or whoever put up those gates to remove them for safety sake.  The yellow pole I hit was removed after I hit it and broke my hip.

• Heart 1

I'd be in the "don't rush it" camp too, but if you feel good afterwards then that's a good indicator.  Very glad that you were able to get back out there.

Did you ride the same green bike you crashed?  I assume it's been repaired?  (I may have missed that update)

• Heart 1

Did you ride the same green bike you crashed?  I assume it's been repaired?  (I may have missed that update)

No, my ten speed is still wrecked.  I have a single speed (Raleigh Rush Hour) that I ride most of the time anyway, so the ten speed can wait.  I'm still contemplating whether to attempt the repairs myself or if it would be better to just take it to the LBS and have them give it a thorough going over and repair.  I'm leaning toward the latter.

Ya, know. I too am concerned he may be pushing it a bit. But as long as he's careful, I agree; he's got to get out if for nothing else for his emotional healing.  He's been logging miles on a trainer. Why not let him ride outdoors??  Ya, start with safe, easy routes; and don't go farther than your healing bones will comfortably allow. 

Ya, know. I too am concerned he may be pushing it a bit. But as long as he's careful, I agree; he's got to get out if for nothing else for his emotional healing.  He's been logging miles on a trainer. Why not let him ride outdoors??  Ya, start with safe, easy routes; and don't go farther than your healing bones will comfortably allow. 

Yeah, I stayed pretty close to home, just in case something went wrong and I had to walk back to the house.  I have more trouble walking than I do riding.   :)

• Heart 1