How are your cycling goals coming along?

Randomguy

I would like to clear some rock garden nemesis in the park. Would like to pull a 40-50 miler before the end of the season on my MTB. My friend wants me to race with her in a cyclocross race this Fall. Maybe, I could actually train for that.  

Those are little lists in my mind.

Not really. Just busy riding fast and tracking PRs. 

That is a goal.

I came close to hitting a goal yesterday, turned myself inside-out trying to get there.  I wanted to ride three laps of my short (3.37 miles) loop at an average of 17 mph per lap (there is a tiny bit of climbing involved, longest is a half-mile or so that tops out at 5%), no drafting or group riding allowed.  I didn't have much time because I had to deal with all the RB birthday party stuff, so no warm up, just head down and go.  First lap I did in 17.3, next at 16.8, then 16.7, for an average of 16.9333 mph.  My heart rate average per lap was 157, 159, 163, so I was pushing what I could push.

I wanted to get this by the end of July, but RB got sick and had the runs for more than a week, then the wife had her triathlon (I came with, for 3 nights), then my brother's family came to town immediately after, so I lost out on riding for most of a couple weeks.  So I feel good for almost hitting the goal despite the lack of training, I know I am close.

I will get to regoaling the moment I get there, I will try to get to 18 mph within 30 days of hitting 17mph.  My first ride in a couple of years saw me barely able to do 13mph over two laps two months ago.

I am slow, but it is nice to see progress!

• Heart 3

I didn't set any goal other than "to ride and get in shape" and that's coming along pretty well, though this was the second Sat-Sun in a row I didn't ride at all....

Well, I guess I did set a goal to ride to my parents' house for a Sunday visit and that will probably be 55 fairly flat miles.  Given my performance over 35-40 hilly miles I feel more or less ready to take that on, but it probably won't happen till September.

not bad.  I wanted to ride 3 California doubles this year, and I rode 4 (the Eastern Sierra double was the addition, and riding it satisfied a cycling bucket list item too).  I am on track to complete the Ultramarathon Cycling Year Rounder challenge to ride 12 rides of 90+ miles in 10 calendar months in 2014.  I now have 11 rides and have ridden them in 7 months (I sort of took July off).

I might have my knee back to normal soon

I rode 15 miles Saturday and a 10 mile ride Sunday. Both rides had some climbing, but nothing really serious. Just enough to test my knee out.

So far it seems pretty good. My left knee still feels like my right knee and there isn't any sharp pain from the area above my knee where I had trouble

Once my knee can hold up, I'll be able to start trying to ride stronger. I've had my knee as the weak link for a long time now

I dont normally set mileage goals.  I get an aerobic workouts 5 times a week, Sat, Sun, and Tues, Wed, Thurs.  Saturday and Sunday are almost always bike rides.  Oct thru mid May I run  5k on Tues, Wed, and Thurs.  May thru Sept  I get in a 12 mile ride on those days.  The mileage at the end of the year is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new goal. I will ride to the top of the Kancamagus highway leaving from the Lincoln side. There are long stretches that are 9% and I'm not a little guy so that's a tough climb. I will beat this in the morning while the girls are sleeping.

My 2014 goal was to do 4000 miles. I am still on track. Last year I did less than 3000.

Do you have any cycling goals?

Yes.  Stay alive and unhurt, enjoy my rides, and gain as much fitness as possible.

Doing fine on 1 and 2, 3 could use some work. :D  I am finding inertia to be a big player - the less or the more I ride, the less or more I want to.  I am basically a couch potato, but I know that is not good for the aging or living process.

I have a new goal. I will ride to the top of the Kancamagus highway leaving from the Lincoln side. There are long stretches that are 9% and I'm not a little guy so that's a tough climb.

Not to put any pressure on you, but I did that ride(Lincoln to North Conway) when I was 12.

BTW, my bike had a 42x23 easiest gear.

Not to put any pressure on you, but I did that ride(Lincoln to North Conway) when I was 12.

BTW, my bike had a 42x23 easiest gear.

Clearly I am not as strong as you, even when you were 12. I'm not going all the way to Conway, just from Lincoln to the peak, then back. At 190 pounds, I'll be happy if I don't walk any of it.

Clearly I am not as strong as you, even when you were 12. I'm not going all the way to Conway, just from Lincoln to the peak, then back. At 190 pounds, I'll be happy if I don't walk any of it.

you'll do fine, just don't quit or walk. If you need to stop, do it where it's not going to be too hard to start again.
  • Heart 1

No, should I? I haven't explored strava, even a little, can you give me the postcard version of it? I know DH is into it as much as scissoring, so I guess a little knowledge of it won't hurt me.

Download the app for your phone, hit start and go ride. When you are done, hit stop and upload your ride.

You can use it to find popular areas to ride, watch your progress(or lack of), and see what other riders are up to. It's also fun to heckle DH for how little she rides;)

Download the app for your phone, hit start and go ride. When you are done, hit stop and upload your ride.

You can use it to find popular areas to ride, watch your progress(or lack of), and see what other riders are up to. It's also fun to heckle DH for how little she rides;)

But I have a Garmin 510, couldn't I just use that?

you'll do fine, just don't quit or walk. If you need to stop, do it where it's not going to be too hard to start again.

Thanks. I got up early and snuck out while the girls were sleeping. There was almost no one one the road. I came across a guy riding the other way. I figured he just came down. He turned around and asked if I wanted someone to ride with. I didn't but I said sure to be polite. He said he'd try to keep up. I chuckled and said it shouldn't be that hard. He then proceeded to ride about 1 or 2 mph faster than me. That made me happy. He got to the bottom of the first hill, and an easy one too, and turned around.

I stopped once to pee on the way up, but made it to the top without stopping. From my parking lot to the top it took 1:41. It only took 32 to get back.

I think going end to end and then back last year was a little more than I was ready for at that time.

It was a beautiful morning for a ride.
  • Heart 3

I don't have cycling goals this year.  I've been riding on Saturday with friends, but that's about it.  My goals are for body metrics, and I'm within ideal range on every one except waist, which is still one and a half above, and weight, which is 10 above.  I'm in a good place to knock those down within the next six weeks.