As An Adult

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

...have you ever spent the night camping outside and sleeping in a tent.  For the Wisconsin folks, passed out in the front yard is not camping.  Cabins, while rustic, don't count.  A hammock or under a tarp or similar does. Sleeping in your car doesn't count either.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah for several years we went camping in Mammoth Lakes CA.  My wife would stay in a hotel in town but I camped with my son.  We usually went with my sister but sometimes other family would join us.

I also slept in a freaking hole with no tent/bag.  At least it wasn’t winter but yeah that sucked...

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...have you ever spent the night camping outside and sleeping in a tent.  For the Wisconsin folks, passed out in the front yard is not camping.  Cabins, while rustic, don't count.  A hammock or under a tarp or similar does. Sleeping in your car doesn't count either.

Slept under stars at a game reserve in South Africa. Wo2 declined the event and sat around the campfire back at the rondovals with the rest of the guests, guides & trackers. 

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Slept under stars at a game reserve in South Africa. Wo2 declined the event and sat around the campfire back at the rondovals with the rest of the guests, guides & trackers. 

That sounds awesome!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

have you ever spent the night camping outside and sleeping in a tent

Yes 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

For the Wisconsin folks, passed out in the front yard is not camping

Does it count if it's the neighbors yard? Because that might  have happened :whistle: 

One day I woke up to the neighbor sleeping in my front yard. He woke up around 2pm and went home. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Further said:

I used to pack a 4 cup percolator. There roughing it, and then there is stupid.  

Field & Stream Coffee Percolator product image

I use that - minus the percolator - on all my camping trips. The burner and other stuff go inside there, so when the sun comes up, I pull that out and can have water boiling ASAP.  No idea what happened to the percolator bits, though.  Still it works well - just have to remember to pull the handles out away from the body while heating the water or they get very hot.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I camped about 20 times on my bike trip in 2009. Haven’t camped since then. The women in my life aren’t the camping type. 

My wife used to go camping with me in a tent. Then she only wanted to go in a camper. Eventually only in a cabin with its own bathroom and kitchen (not camping). She had no interest in week long bike trips (or even all day bike trips) so I go by myself. 

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

August 2020. Some bike shop employees went up to Paul’s cabin near Front Royal. Beer, good food, etc. Paul slept in the cabin. Alex and John slept in their cars, I pitched a tent. Slept very well. Wo7 is not a camper. 

9007253E-1D9F-49D8-91B2-1E793903524F.jpeg

Grew up in FR.  😊 

• Envious 1

13 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Grew up in FR.  😊 

Nice!  That is a beeyootiful place!  My grandparents lived in southren WV and I loved the drives down there.  US 211 - awesome!  Once in a while I would take Skyline Drive and get off at Steele's Tavern.  What an awesome little mountain crossroads that time forgot. :)

14 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Nice!  That is a beeyootiful place!  My grandparents lived in southren WV and I loved the drives down there.  US 211 - awesome!  Once in a while I would take Skyline Drive and get off at Steele's Tavern.  What an awesome little mountain crossroads that time forgot. :)

I took this photo from Dickey Ridge:

B3742C9A-DA32-4710-B5D8-26E8869BC800.thumb.jpeg.2a8b74e6e442869b7e9d6d877ea4571c.jpeg

• Awesome 2

Speaking of camping and Skyline Drive. Back in the 80’s friends of mine would camp at Big Meadows campground on Skyline Drive; on New Years Eve. They went every year for about six to eight years in a row. Big campfire, hot cider, a little drinking but not too much. Another friend and I would drive up to visit but we never stayed the night. Too freaking cold for my tastes.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Speaking of camping and Skyline Drive. Back in the 80’s friends of mine would camp at Big Meadows campground on Skyline Drive; on New Years Eve. They went every year for about six to eight years in a row. Big campfire, hot cider, a little drinking but not too much. Another friend and I would drive up to visit but we never stayed the night. Too freaking cold for my tastes.

I felt like Big Meadows was the one campground that stayed open year round, but when we looked at closing times this year, it was on the list along with all the others :(  Not sure if this is just a COVID measure or if something has changed.  A bit of a bummer, but I get it.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I felt like Big Meadows was the one campground that stayed open year round, but when we looked at closing times this year, it was on the list along with all the others :(  Not sure if this is just a COVID measure or if something has changed.  A bit of a bummer, but I get it.

I think it had more do with general funding. The Parks are struggling. 

Just now, Zealot said:

This. Park use was low in winter 🥶 so i believe that the bean counters used that to close the campgrounds. My next birthday I’m eligible to buy the NPS Senior Pass. Oh yeah.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have backpacked and camped in Roaring Plains Wilderness (just south of the Dolly Sods) in the dead of winter.  You have to pack in because when the snows hit, the roads are impassable and not plowed. 

It’s all wild. Elevation, frigid nights, huge skies and no other people around.  It’s truly amazing. 

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Zealot said:

"Loved to death" is the challenge :(   We rolled up to Shenandoah several months ago and our annual pass was expired.  I paid the entrance fee and didn't buy the annual pass since we weren't sure where the COVID thing was headed and if the parks would lock down or not later on.  Anyway, a few weeks later, we were back and I bought the pass.  $30 lost not buying it the firs time, but if it adds to the NPS coffers, so be it.  I'm sure I could have bullied a ranger into prorating the pass or some such, but not really worth it. 

But, yeah, keeping a campground open, even with limited service, is probably way more cost than they can recoup easily.  Hopefully, some of the $$$ from the COVID stimulus actions will help take some of the maintenance issues off the able.

• Heart 1