As An Adult

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Loved to death" is the challenge :(   We rolled up to Shenandoah several months ago and our annual pass was expired.  I paid the entrance fee and didn't buy the annual pass since we weren't sure where the COVID thing was headed and if the parks would lock down or not later on.  Anyway, a few weeks later, we were back and I bought the pass.  $30 lost not buying it the firs time, but if it adds to the NPS coffers, so be it.  I'm sure I could have bullied a ranger into prorating the pass or some such, but not really worth it. 

But, yeah, keeping a campground open, even with limited service, is probably way more cost than they can recoup easily.  Hopefully, some of the $$$ from the COVID stimulus actions will help take some of the maintenance issues off the able.

I usually buy the annual pass each year. And if I let it lapse or forget to bring it with me, I don’t really have too much heartburn paying the additional entry fee.  I’ve spent a great deal of time in the park over the course of my life and have loved every minute of it.  ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

I usually buy the annual pass each year. And if I let it lapse or forget to bring it with me, I don’t really have too much heartburn paying the additional entry fee.  I’ve spent a great deal of time in the park over the course of my life and have loved every minute of it.  ❤️ 

Yep - it is normally an "automatic" buy.  This year threw a loop in with the worry that we would not be able to use it if they closed or we were not going to want to go back if it turned out to feel "unsafe".  Neither cases happened, so it was a no brainer again.  With our local Park (Great Falls) also an easy visit, even if we weren't hitting other parks, it would be used enough to justify.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - it is normally an "automatic" buy.  This year threw a loop in with the worry that we would not be able to use it if they closed or we were not going to want to go back if it turned out to feel "unsafe".  Neither cases happened, so it was a no brainer again.  With our local Park (Great Falls) also an easy visit, even if we weren't hitting other parks, it would be used enough to justify.

Great Falls is just down 270 from me.  It’s a beautiful place and when the snows melt and the spring rains come, those falls are truly magnificent and powerful!  Where do you live?

Covid did close Shenandoah park for a short time early this spring. We were up there in March as they were starting the closure and we returned later when they reopened with restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Great Falls is just down 270 from me.  It’s a beautiful place and when the snows melt and the spring rains come, those falls are truly magnificent and powerful!  Where do you live?

Covid did close Shenandoah park for a short time early this spring. We were up there in March as they were starting the closure and we returned later when they reopened with restrictions.

Yeah - Great Falls has the DOUBLE bonus of entry to both the MD side and the VA side (my side). I'm out in Reston, so our natural NP pass spots are Great Falls, Shenandoah, Prince William, and a few other ones.  Generally, though, we enter Great Falls for "free" via hiking or biking in, so the pass is unnecessary from that respect, but it is sometimes fun after a big storm to hop in the car, drive into the park, and watch the falls as they swell.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - Great Falls has the DOUBLE bonus of entry to both the MD side and the VA side (my side). I'm out in Reston, so our natural NP pass spots are Great Falls, Shenandoah, Prince William, and a few other ones.  Generally, though, we enter Great Falls for "free" via hiking or biking in, so the pass is unnecessary from that respect, but it is sometimes fun after a big storm to hop in the car, drive into the park, and watch the falls as they swell.

Yeah, I’ve always entered the park (from the MD side anyway) via biking on the C&O.

I live up in Martinsburg.  So I consider all  the tristate area of Md, Wv and Va (also Pa) as my playground. 😊 

• Heart 1