I was out for a bike ride today

Destination

Today's ride was out of the ordinary for me because I was riding with a group of people. Several of them have completed the Ironman triathlon in the past and one took part in Ultraman at the beginning of this month. A few others do very little cycling. We all had a good time. 

• Heart 2

Today's ride was out of the ordinary for me because I was riding with a group of people. Several of them have completed the Ironman triathlon in the past and one took part in Ultraman at the beginning of this month. A few others do very little cycling. We all had a good time

If having a good time is "out of the ordinary" for your rides, then I think you're doing something wrong.

• Heart 1

If having a good time is "out of the ordinary" for your rides, then I think you're doing something wrong.

The good time part is normal; the group riding is the exception for me. Because I do so little group riding, I'm not sure what to expect.

They can't draft, right?  I seem to remember hearing that as a rule.  

Against the rules to draft at an IM event.  Most triathlons are no draft.  There are a few that are draft legal races.  These can actually have teams, much like the TDF.  A good cyclist and excellent runner can draft behind your team members and really save a lot for the run. 

I did draft a lot on the TT bike when I had one.  I would show up to group rides on it.  There was an unwritten rule that you are up on the bull horns when drafting in a paceline.  It is cool to get down on the aero bars when you are up front pulling, but the second you drop back to the pace line you sit up. 

Aero bars CAN be sketchy hip.  Especially when on a roadie with clip ons.  The geometry of those bikes is different than that of a true TT bike.   Some of it depends on your set-up but it mostly just depends on the rider.  After thousands of miles on them I got pretty good at controlling them.  You have to learn to steer with your body weight more than your arms.  You have to be fluid. And you have to keep on the power.  Hard to coast and do it.    It's very un-nerving going into a corner until you are pretty comfortable on them.