I want to host a race

Parr8hed

I want to organize a kid's tri for next season. 

There are plenty of Kid's tris over in Kentucky but nothing here in my county in Indiana.  I know there is a huge following and I have a pretty good network of race people.  Between the kid's swim team and me being cross country coach for the kids I think I can really get the word out.

I have a venue. (already have permission to use the local middle school).  I have a course in mind.  I have sent emails to two timing companies. 

Going to start working on getting sponsors. 

What else?

My goal is to have the race this year and see how it does.  Next year I want to host a tri camp the week before the race.  Swim, run and ride with kids throughout the week and then have the race on Sat.  I think it would be great for the kids around here.

What's your favorite charity?

Talk to their local organization to see if they'd be interested.  Tell them you'll donate to them all the proceeds above the cost of hosting the event if they will help provide volunteers to staff the event.

They will like the exposure and the donation, you will be able to tap into a ready made pool of people to help, and the people will be more likely to participate if they know the event helps a good cause.

• Heart 1

If you know of other tris in Kentucky, contact the race directors and have a chat with them over coffee.  I'm sure that one or more of them would be happy to share their experiences with you.  I'll bet that they might even have task lists and process that they would share with you.  If you're going to do a camp, they should see that as an opportunity to move the sport forward in the region and be a good thing for them.

If you know of other tris in Kentucky, contact the race directors and have a chat with them over coffee.  I'm sure that one or more of them would be happy to share their experiences with you.  I'll bet that they might even have task lists and process that they would share with you.  If you're going to do a camp, they should see that as an opportunity to move the sport forward in the region and be a good thing for them.

I've already done that.  She and her husband are going to come over for dinner after they get done with vacation.

What's your favorite charity?

Talk to their local organization to see if they'd be interested.  Tell them you'll donate to them all the proceeds above the cost of hosting the event if they will help provide volunteers to staff the event.

They will like the exposure and the donation, you will be able to tap into a ready made pool of people to help, and the people will be more likely to participate if they know the event helps a good cause.

I like that idea.