If you were planning your retirement location

Square Wheels

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Would you be worried about moving near @AirwickWithCheese?

My wife is very seriously looking at the Carolinas.

Do they have a hockey team?  Can I still root for the Bruins?

They have the Hartford Whaler franchise. But I doubt anyone would care about you rooting for the Bruins. They care a lot more about your choice of NASCAR drivers. Tread carefully there. And church attendance is mandatory, even if you’re not a believer. You’ll love it there. Might want to lose one of your front teeth if you want to fit in quicker. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

They have the Hartford Whaler franchise. But I doubt anyone would care about you rooting for the Bruins. They care a lot more about your choice of NASCAR drivers. Tread carefully there. And church attendance is mandatory, even if you’re not a believer. You’ll love it there. Might want to lose one of your front teeth if you want to fit in quicker. 

I'm all set on the missing teeth front.

Not going to church, not an option.

I will never watch NASCAR.  Never.  Jeff Dunham nailed it.  They're taking a left turn... they're taking another left turn...

• Hugs 1

North Carolina was our #1 choice, but it wasn't @AirwickWithCheese that threw a ringer into it. With son living in CT, and daughter getting PhD in NY, plan was to move within a day drive of grandchildren after she graduated and settled somewhere. Her settling in Switzerland blew that idea out the window. We do still toy with leaving FL though.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

North Carolina was our #1 choice, but it wasn't @AirwickWithCheese that threw a ringer into it. With son living in CT, and daughter getting PhD in NY, plan was to move within a day drive of grandchildren after she graduated and settled somewhere. Her settling in Switzerland blew that idea out the window. We do still toy with leaving FL though.

Bermuda?  Or maybe Greenland. 

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I will never watch NASCAR.  Never.  Jeff Dunham nailed it.  They're taking a left turn... they're taking another left turn...

Ya'll might want to think about what's behind door 2.  The only remaining option for door 1 is to become an accomplished banjo picker.

5 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Why in the world would you want to leave Florida.  You are just entering the optimum age bracket.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Too hot, too humid, too many gators, too many people in general and bozos in particular. Hurricanes. OTOH, low taxes!  And nice winters. 

All told I've lived in FL for about 3 years total with 2 in Key West and 1 in Orlando.  It was great.  On the other hand, I lived in very solid buildings quite capable of surviving storms.  My only real worry would be with the future of the water level there,

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Buff Jim is very culturally astute. :D

Bir that is a very tricky and real thing. I don’t think my wife can fit in anywhere other than NJ  which is unfortunate because the taxes are so -\]#^¥¥ high  OTOH, I don’t have the energy to move  anyhoo.  

What is Bir?  I'm glad we don't have NASCAR up at our end. 

Admittedly there are some states which up in Canada we never hear much about in media often or its history is buried under the importance of other states where U.S. history began or another great natural beauty location somewhere else.  For instance other than the Cour d'Alene bike trail in Idaho, I don't know much else. Nor even hear anything else in the mainstream media about what's going on there.

Mrs and I have been duking it out aboot retiring. She says she wants to move somewhere warm wants and be near the grandkids. The problem with that is our son is in the military and moves around every few years. I have one move left in me. I told her if I do move south it would be near the smoky mountains/Pigeon Forge area. Maybe buy one of the thousands of rental cabins with a mountain view and an indoor pool. :nodhead:

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

looking at the Carolinas.

My brother keeps floating Charleston SC as his next move.  I like the idea of coastal or mountainous areas in the Carolinas, but you're still in the Carolinas.  With that goes a good bit of proud in being backward looking rather than forward thinking. I do think it is a fun place to visit and even live for a spell, but not sure about it as a permanent retirement spot.  Could be a split-location sort of thing, where you get the Utah place and she gets the Carolina place and you move between them as desired. 

• Heart 1

Now that we are both retired we are going to stay right where we are now besides all my stuff is here anyway. It cost us almost nothing to live in our house, some of the things that I like to do are near by and Road America is only a minutes away. 

If we get sick of winter we will just jump in the motorhome and head south for a while. 

• Awesome 1

What's wrong with NASCAR other than lacking a proper frame of reference to understanding exactly how much skill is involved in turning left 1 1/000 of a second better than the guy you are racing against who is just as good as you are.

I was a drag racer, which surprisingly doesn't involve a straight line as much as you might think but rather a series of controlled slides more or less in the direction of the finish line.  I attended a driving school at Orlando speedway to get to drive a stock car at speed.  Then I did a ride around with a professional driver at Daytona Speedway to gain an appreciation of what that was like.  Wholy carp, this is nothing but a two lane road barely suitable for 2 cars wide going into the next turn and I've seen them do it 3 wide.  The worst driver in the Daytona 500, the one who can't even get a sponsor, has more left turning skill that you or I will probably ever have.

I suppose that it's something that one grows up with, much like soccer or hockey, sports which also have their detractors.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

My retirement plan is to buy a brand new snow shovel, put it in plain view and drive south until someone asks me "What the hell is that thing?"  When that happens, I will start looking for houses for sale there

Here is my motto, it may work for you. “I go to the snow, it does not come to me”.

We were talking about where we would live when we retire to our son and my wife, for the first time ever said we’d probably stay here.  For 23 years she wanted to live everywhere but here.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Mrs and I have been duking it out aboot retiring. She says she wants to move somewhere warm wants and be near the grandkids. The problem with that is our son is in the military and moves around every few years. I have one move left in me. I told her if I do move south it would be near the smoky mountains/Pigeon Forge area. Maybe buy one of the thousands of rental cabins with a mountain view and an indoor pool. :nodhead:

Could have sold you an entire "mountain" about 30 miles north of Knoxville about 25 years ago....The old house actually had a tobacco barn...and indoor plumbing 😁...and a front porch where you could learn banjo. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

How many guns do you have and/or plan on buying? N+1 applies to them, too. 

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My brother keeps floating Charleston SC as his next move.  I like the idea of coastal or mountainous areas in the Carolinas, but you're still in the Carolinas.  With that goes a good bit of proud in being backward looking rather than forward thinking. I do think it is a fun place to visit and even live for a spell, but not sure about it as a permanent retirement spot.  Could be a split-location sort of thing, where you get the Utah place and she gets the Carolina place and you move between them as desired. 

The only attraction to keep place where am now for work, is that it's only 100 km. away from Rocky mountains....which really are international attraction that places Canada as a powerful draw for tourists before and after covid. It's not hard to get quickly away from the crowds in vast wilderness. Like get lost for rescue...

But will be heading out the B.C. for a majority chunk.

People who have money from our area have vacation homes in these areas:  mountain resort towns of Canmore, if they are rich enough in Banff (owning property is expensive because you are living in a national park...therefore but effort for environmental protection, more green local transportation choices, etc.), Okanagan Valley (vineyard region for B.C. wines) or Vancouver.  Cost of Vancouver home, was different 20 yrs. ago compared to now.  I do know of people from the prairies who retired to Canadian Gulf Islands by Vancouver Island.  So those choices are for Canadians who either love alot of snow, vast amounts of mountain wilderness areas, (mountain ski towns are bit too long winter-wise for me..I would feel snow trapped. And spring would too muddy to go hiking) or don't mind chance snow or some rain.  

For living, I tend to like temperate climates with more vegetation/trees, where seasons change noticeably.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My mother pointed out that Charleston is hotter than H#$L in the summer. No thanks. I'd rather do mountains and a lake. Lake Keowee is my first choice.

• Heart 1

Quite honestly I'd like to live on Maui up on the mountain on a big piece of land where I can plant a garden and see the ocean. But Mr. Square Wheels does not like that plan. Oregon is my second choice. He does not like that either. SC is my 3rd choice. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Punny that you used the word “floating” and Charleston in the same sentence. Article in the Post last week talked about Charleston wanting to build a 12 foot wall to keep the streets from flooding. Don’t get me wrong, I love Charleston, it’s a beautiful city. But in ten years the battery will be underwater unless they do something.

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Punny that you used the word “floating” and Charleston in the same sentence. Article in the Post last week talked about Charleston wanting to build a 12 foot wall to keep the streets from flooding. Don’t get me wrong, I love Charleston, it’s a beautiful city. But in ten years the battery will be underwater unless they do something.

It's the same in Norfolk VA.  A combination of the coastal plate sinking and the water level rising has a 2X effect on these areas.  That's the only reason I'm afraid of starting a family housing project in FL  Some very pretty coastal areas are getting wet.

28 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's the same in Norfolk VA.  A combination of the coastal plate sinking and the water level rising has a 2X effect on these areas.  That's the only reason I'm afraid of starting a family housing project in FL  Some very pretty coastal areas are getting wet.

Another reason I’m liking the Blue Ridge mountains