If you were planning your retirement location

Square Wheels

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Here is my motto, it may work for you. “I go to the snow, it does not come to me”.

We were talking about where we would live when we retire to our son and my wife, for the first time ever said we’d probably stay here.  For 23 years she wanted to live everywhere but here.

Maybe she wants to be close to daughter, grand baby, etc. too.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

Maybe she wants to be close to daughter, grand baby, etc. too.

Have you not paid attention to my rants? 😉   She lives where it snows and wants us close to her, not the other way around.  She has tried to get us to move east for decades.  Although now that her life is in the toilet she wants to move here but for 20+ years it was the other way around. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Have you not paid attention to my rants? 😉   She lives where it snows and wants us close to her, not the other way around.  She has tried to get us to move east for decades.  Although now that her life is in the toilet she wants to move here but for 20+ years it was the other way around. 

Sorry, I've been clueless :D .  Then living in Vancouver would solve some of her problems...she can take a 30 min.  bus ride from downtown during certain winters...to take her to the ski hill gondola in 1 of the mountains that you see the photos of Vancouver with snow draped mountains around the city skyline.  Or drive 100 km. north to Whistler..and see gorgeous Howe Sound all the way..where rare whale or dolphin cruise through.  I'm snowshoeing down a gently steep hill....I'm facing city of Vancouver off in the distance.

spacer.png

The closest fit might be Seattle if still in U.S.....I'm choosing the Pacific coast if she will miss the ocean.  

Lots more different types of mushrooms grow in our woods because of the temperate rainforest areas. Snow in British Columbia is different than southern Ontario. Just lots more of it in certain mountains and stays around longer in the mountains.

Rocky Mountains in Alberta....to me has drier air therefore the snow quality is seems lighter and  not as often as sticky.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sorry, I've been clueless :D .  Then living in Vancouver would solve some of her problems...she can take a 30 min.  bus ride from downtown during certain winters...to take her to the ski hill gondola in 1 of the mountains that you see the photos of Vancouver with snow draped mountains around the city skyline.  Or drive 100 km. north to Whistler..and see gorgeous Howe Sound all the way..where rare whale or dolphin cruise through.

The closest fit might be Seattle if still in U.S.....I'm choosing the Pacific coast if she will miss the ocean.  

Lots more different types of mushrooms grow in our woods because of the temperate rainforest areas.

She’s 70 something, divorced 3 times, broke and is racking up credit debt... Her sons and us are paying her rent while she searches for the next meal ticket AKA sucker.  Im afraid she’s going to end up in one of our houses & nowhere else... 

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

She’s 70 something, divorced 3 times, broke and is racking up credit debt... Her sons and us are paying her rent while she searches for the next meal ticket AKA sucker.  Im afraid she’s going to end up in one of our houses & nowhere else... 

She's scary....and it will get worse with age ...her insecurities. Sorry I thought you were talking about your wife wanting to move. :D 

Maybe she needs to go to church and be transformed.  Sorry to offend any believers here. I don't know what else would change someone like her.  She sounds like a tough person to even have female friends. She needs counselling.  I have a cousin's wife who became more outgoing and warm as a person after she got involved with church and Bible. She immigrated from mainland China and no exposure to Christianity.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

She's scary....and it will get worse with age ...her insecurities. Sorry I thought you were talking about your wife wanting to move. :D 

Maybe she needs to go to church and be transformed.  Sorry to offend any believers here. I don't know what else would change someone like her.  She sounds like a tough person to even have female friends. She needs counselling.  I have a cousin's wife who became more outgoing and warm as a person after she got involved with church and Bible. She immigrated from mainland China and no exposure to Christianity.

Oh I was at first. My wife loves SoCal but not necessarily our place.  We moved in thinking it would be short term & then the housing market boomed.  Now we can only afford what we have.

My MIL just needs someone to take care of her. Pay the bills so she can live the life of a southern belle, that’s all she really wanted in life. My FIL saw the writing on the wall & dropped her like a bad habit, followed by two others. She’s a lost cause....

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Whooosh!!!

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

An uncle-by-marriage's uncle owned a lot of Carolina Beach, NC.  We used to spend a week there some summers - it's an hour's drive north of Myrtle Beach, SC.

You'll have to learn to use phrases like "over yonder" to fit in.

And Jeetyet. As Jeff Foxworthy explained it means have you had a meal recently. And Monthem. It means your mother and her kin. 

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

An uncle-by-marriage's uncle owned a lot of Carolina Beach, NC.  We used to spend a week there some summers - it's an hour's drive north of Myrtle Beach, SC.

You'll have to learn to use phrases like "over yonder" to fit in.

Womaxx reminds me that when I returned to CT after being in the service that I had a distinct southern accent.  I assumed that mixing that with being a sailor would make the response........"I thought ya'll wouldn't give a rats ass".