Staking out dumpling places

shootingstar

in Vancouver...cleary I'm homesick for another part of Canada. Some dumplings in places here in prairie city just too humungous and filling not that interesting. Once, went to a place where too many different types of deep fried dim sum. Just not right / not authentic. It felt like eating bastardized convenience.  It is possible to be both innovative and authentic. You just have to know how to keep basic and best essence of a dish.

Nine Dumplings...will fun to try.  Except this guy uses natural plants to dye his dumpling wrappers. Fillings looks good to try.

Attention all dumpling lovers: Nine Dumplings, also known as Nine Dishes, is back, this time on Robson Street | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

2 hours ago, Further said:

good luck with it, hope they are tasty

He has outlets across Metro vAncouver...which brings alot of Asian clientele (a good sign)..it initially looks gimmicky but the fillings look  genuinely interesting in a tasty sounding way.  Choice of steamed or boiled.  Thank god, not pan fried...that would destroy the delicate taste and flavours.

I wouldn't really call it fusion food..but close to it. I guess my own definitions what constitutes "fusion" food on the Asian side. Some of his side dishes look just authentic but not flashy. 

Gyoza gets boring after awhile...when already one knows the sheer creative range of different gyoza fillings and dim sum. I am particular what is good gyoza..not too hard/thick casings and not..too over "fried" on the bottom.  The best relatives....are actually steamed or boiled. Pan frying stiffens up the delicate skins.

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have them here.  Not my favorite but my sisters love those places & dim sum as well.  I like Chinese food but I think of the Asian cuisines my taste buds lean more towards Japanese food & then Indonesian & Vietnamese. 

I still enjoy quality Japanese food but after visiting Japan for 2 wks., I realized that the cuisine doesn't offer larger volumes of veggies at the table.  I've looked into the Japanese home cooking recipe books...it's not the same as Chinese in range of veggies, different preparation styles.  It surprised me...the lower volume of veggies.  The cuisine is more refined/delicate overall and gentler. It doesn't have the extreme dynamic contrasts that Chinese cuisine offers from different regions. 

A lot of people think believe Chinese cooking has alot of oil..home cooking isn't like that at all. It's unfortunate the restaurant cooking gives that impression.  I've only had Indonesian cuisine probably less than 5 times in my life.

When we were in Kyoto and Tokyo, I found myself gravitating from far away signage that seemed to have this large platters/bowls of veggies....and coming closer, I realized it was advertising for Chinese cuisine. :)  It surprised me....I had no idea my whole food upbringing had such a strong influence on me.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Will you move back to Vancouver once you retire?

Spend most of time there. Have to decide what to do about place here but it'll still be around too when covid vaccination is here. It's more complicated than meets the eye.  So if you guys want to get together for a coffee in Vancouver or in Alberta...tell me several months in advance. Otherwise I'll be in the wrong city.

• Haha 2