A Chicken Soup Recipe where the noodles don't drive up blood sugar

MickinMD

I'm supposed to keep my carbs in my meals in the 45-60 g range and that doesn't work well for processed foods unless there are enough things like fiber to keep the carbs from rapidly shooting into the blood.

Last night I made my chicken soup recipe (listed at bottom), several bowls worth, where I normally add 2 oz. (40 g. carbs) of wide egg noodles per bowl.  If the 2 oz. spiked my sugar I would try 1.5 oz and 1 oz in the next bowls.  But a big bowl of soup (about 25 oz. of the soup alone) plus 2 oz. of regular extra-wide egg noodles worked out great for me - even with a desert of a Cave Man (Paleo) Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond Bar! That made my day because those noodles make a great chicken soup become perfect fpr me!!!

My educated guess is that the fiber in 6 stalks (about 12 oz.) of celery, a large sweet onion (about 12 oz) and 1 lb of carrots does a lot to slow down glucose absorption into the bloodstream from the noodles.

In the first (left) picture are my blood sugar readings, all excellent, from the time I began to eat the soup yesterday after 8 pm until 7 am this morning. Because the numbers were so good I needed no "bedtime insulin."

The 2nd pic. is the last 24 hours where yesterday morning a breakfast of 2 eggs over easy with 2 pieces of bread and 2 30-Cal chicken breakfast links briefly pushed my glucose to just under 200 mg/dL - a little high but ok. Today I'm going to repeat that breakfast with two slices of Schmidt's 647 bread: 40 Cal/13g carbs/7g fiber compared to 70/26/less than 1 in regular bread.

The rest: lunch, a 1.5 mile walk, dinner and overnight is all in the target range.  The avg. sugar for the past 24 hr of 138 mg/dL. is the equivalent of a 6.4 A1c in a medical lab blood test and averaging under 7 for the next 3 months is my goal.

306029404_Screenshot_2020-11-29_070209-affterChickenSoupdinner.thumb.jpg.6b05200da2aaf09080d88036abf411ad.jpg  Screenshot_2020-11-29_070102.thumb.jpg.007961840d2bd30fcab15e5e869551f2.jpg

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

I've made this in a crock pot set on medium for 6 hours or in an Instant Pot (set to high pressure for 25 minutes).  Dissolve the Better Than Bouillon Chicken base in a small pot with 4 cups of hot water.  Throw all the ingredients except diced tomatoes into a 5-6 qt pot, add the chicken amd ,more water to cover the veggies and cook to the end.  Take the chicken pieces out, let it cool several minutes, then break the meat into small pieces and add back to the pot. At that point, add the diced tomatoes and your ready to eat.

Ingredients (for a 6 quart Instant Pot. Makes 5 qts soup, six 26.6 fl.oz. servings):
1 lb, carrots, either baby carrots cut in thirds or whole carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices [some sauté (fry in a small amount of cooking oil for several minutes) all the veggies first for sweetness]
12 oz, 6 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices.
10-12 oz. 1 large onion, chopped [some add garlic, sautéing it with the onion first]

8 oz of veggies for soup (or can/frozen/fresh: corn, peas, parsnips, etc.).
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme [and/or 1 tbsp dry Italian Seasoning]
Salt (6 tsp called for – try zero if low sodium is desired and add at table)

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

2-3 lb chicken parts, very heavy on chicken: 5 lb chicken (whole, 3 1/2 to 6 lb ok)

4 cups water + more later to fill Instant Pot to 4 qt. Mark and, at end 5 qt mark

2 tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base or 6 chicken bouillon cubes.

Optional: 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes with juice (added while shredding chicken)

1 tsp garlic powder optional or 5 cloves garlic (optional, perhaps sautéing it with the onion first)

4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried parsley)
Optional: 12 oz. dry egg noodles (cooked) or 2 oz. Per 25 oz. serving of soup.

Optional (not better for me): 1 tbsp dried or ¼ cup fresh chopped dill (some reviewers rave!)

• Heart 2

I have egg white noodles. No Yolks Pasta Enriched Egg Wh - Online Groceries | Safeway

I'm also careful to choose light egg based noodle.  Notice:  they are steamed already. Just reheat.  And the noodle shape is narrower..this is what you're after. Sun On Steamed Egg Noodles | T&T Supermarket (tntsupermarket.com)

Dried noodle like this are better for me:  Wu-Mu Wide Dried Noodle | T&T Supermarket (tntsupermarket.com)  I find some Italian dried noodles heavier. However there are some very light brands with less wheat.  There is noodle with spelt, kamut, spinach, etc.  Aim for a shape that is smaller, thinner. 

Rice noodle makes me feel worse now....it is equivalent to me now eating white rice several consecutive days in a row.  I did have a near diabetes 2 reading about 10 yrs. ago. I only have rice maybe less than 5-10 times /year. 

For variety and slightly abit more money, is to substitute celery with fennel bulb.

I would suggest boy choy, shangahi choy or yu choy ...instead of celery for more green veggie / variety in the chicken soup.  Even spinach when the soup is nearly done. Changing this part of your meals long term won't rob you of chicken soup.