URGENT! Was my mom hacked?

smudge

If the reboot doesn't fix it, use System Restore to go back to a restore point before all this happened.

Go to System Properties, System Protection tab, System Restore button. It might take a few minutes to run.

Press on Next button. Hopefully there is a restore point created before the problem started. You may have to click on the "Show More Restore Points" checkbox.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

I guess my sister just restarted it, and it's fine. ?? My mom probably clicked on something she wasn't supposed to. 

Great. However I recommend that she does a backup of at least all her filed in the Documents, Pictures, and Video folders to an external drive, thumb drive, or even CD/DVDs. Always a good idea.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

@smudge  

This is good advice...  

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

I always do the scan.

Maybe the computer is OK..  but there is the chance some malware is still alive and well.    Worse case... it could be encrypting the files for ransomware.  Probably not... just probably they just want a credit card number.

The link that @Square Wheels provided recommended using Malwarebytes for the scan and that should find any issues. 

• Heart 1

It is also possible that the message was from a third-party advertising server used by a legitimate web site.  Most web sites use them, and ALL of them host malware (malvertising) periodically.  When I get those, I reboot, scan for malware, and then use the legitimate web site's Contact Us link (if they have one) to report the malvertising.  The site probably won't do anything about it, but you never know.

36 minutes ago, smudge said:

I mentioned Malwarebytes to my mom.  Told her I have it. I doubt they'll use it. Sometimes only so much we can do. 

I use the Windows Security suite. I also use Windows Defender Browser protection. It's free and it all runs within Windows. Maybe you could sneak into their home and enable security features. :ph34r:

• Awesome 2

27 minutes ago, smudge said:

Hmm, I don't have that issue. Irs AVG that drives me nuts.

Is it redundant to have both?

No, I don't think so - AVG is for regular viruses and malwarebytes is for spyware, adware, etc.  Yeah, I never liked AVG or Avast!  I lost two XP SP2 computers when those were supposedly on the job.  Of course XP SP2 was infamously vulnerable to attack.  I like plain old MS Security Essentials, or I guess now it is called Windows Defender.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I got taared of malwarebytes always wanting to update so it i’ snot on my latest computer. 

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Hmm, I don't have that issue. Irs AVG that drives me nuts.

Is it redundant to have both?

I use Norton 360 (and Lifelock).  And if needed I download Malwarebytes.   I used to keep Malwarebytes installed and ready to go, but not any more.  I also have a Windows 10 recovery boot disk (or USB can't remember) for each computer.

I thought is was redundant to have both N360 and Malwarebytes installed.   But that's me...

There was a time when AVG was the one to have, but I haven't been a fan for a few years. Norton got good again, but I like their basic antivirus. The 360 can be a pain in a small network. Since Windows 10, I have just been using Defender and run scans with ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes as needed. I usually uninstall Malwarebytes when done because there will be a new version to install before I scan again. 

ADWCleaner used to be under a different name until Malwarebytes bought it and made a more user friendly interface. It's smaller and much quicker at scanning than Malwarebytes, but it is effective. I will usually scan with it first. If it has more than a couple hits, I will then scan with Malwarebytes.