Trips instead of Gifts

Parr8hed

We are thinking of opting for this for our kids this year.  I think we all know that my kids don't really go without stuff.  A guy I know has a "trips instead of gifts" philosophy for Christmas.  A couple of small presents to unwrap and then a trip somewhere.  Even if it's just a long weekend.  Last year we went to Phoenix and Sedona and absolutely loved it.  But this trip was a gift from her boss.  So what are some things that we could do?  Jan/Feb is a slow time for softball.  Ideally we could take a long 3-4 day weekend and go do something really cool.  

Whatcha got?

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

A national park would be cool....

Focus on what the kids would most enjoy.  Take along a couple of their best friends to an indoor water park retreat..... as an example of something geared towards them.  You and Wo8 will enjoy whatever they do so focus on them exclusively.

• Heart 2

Just now, roadsue said:

Is it time for G to start visiting college campuses? DC would be cool with a walking tour of Georgetown and trip to Annapolis. Can people just walk around West Point?

Yea, we did DC a while back.  A one day visit.  That might be cool, but damn cold in Jan/Feb.  We gotta start thinking about college really soon.  

1 minute ago, dennis said:

GTNP in the winter is awesome. It is south of Canada and Montana. You can take a sleigh ride on the Elk Refuge. There are a few thousand elk out there now. It's like a big petting zoo.

EFFECTS (1).jpg

Myself and G would love this.  The wife would take one look at the snow and say Efff no.

15 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We are thinking of opting for this for our kids this year.  I think we all know that my kids don't really go without stuff.  A guy I know has a "trips instead of gifts" philosophy for Christmas.  A couple of small presents to unwrap and then a trip somewhere.  Even if it's just a long weekend.  Last year we went to Phoenix and Sedona and absolutely loved it.  But this trip was a gift from her boss.  So what are some things that we could do?  Jan/Feb is a slow time for softball.  Ideally we could take a long 3-4 day weekend and go do something really cool.  

Whatcha got?

Someplace tropical?  Jamaica or the Caribbean? Not sure how Covid hit those places.  Even FL is pretty cool to visit and the weather is nice.

Funny in that in CA Baseball & Softball goes into high gear right after the Christmas break. Games start in early Feb, season through May and then playoffs may-June. 

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Someplace tropical?  Jamaica or the Caribbean? Not sure how Covid hit those places.  Even FL is pretty cool to visit and the weather is nice.

Funny in that in CA Baseball & Softball goes into high gear right after the Christmas break. Games start in early Feb, season through May and then playoffs may-June. 

Certainly could just go to a Florida beach.  But we've been there done that.  Maybe the outer banks? BUt burrrrr

6 minutes ago, roadsue said:

San Francisco. Great place to visit. Lots of colleges nearby.

I discounted CA/West coast due to the travel but San Fran & surrounding areas is really awesome.  LA and of course SoCal is cool too. But... We are locking down again so expect closures & take out. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I discounted CA/West coast due to the travel but San Fran & surrounding areas is really awesome.  LA and of course SoCal is cool too. But... We are locking down again so expect closures & take out. 

We really liked visiting San Francisco and driving Hwy 1. One of our best road trips.

Not sure when we'll travel again.  

• Heart 1

There are some cheap airfares going on right now. You guys should come back out here. I'll have the Jeep on the road by then. I can haul you guys up into the Bradshaws and we explore old abandoned mining sites. I'll throw in the metal detector and and gold pans just for the fun of it.

header-mtns01.thumb.jpg.3244eaa01509effc185e0cb0d040f580.jpg

header-dam01.thumb.jpg.0621ee2521e34eaea8ae005a5d600e29.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

The problem is a 3-4 day weekend doesn't give you much driving time, if you're planning to drive, and don't want to be in cold weather.  Are you willing to fly or go for longer than 3-4 days including travel time?  Or will you consider something snowy?

14 hours ago, Kirby said:

The problem is a 3-4 day weekend doesn't give you much driving time, if you're planning to drive, and don't want to be in cold weather.  Are you willing to fly or go for longer than 3-4 days including travel time?  Or will you consider something snowy?

Yea, talked to the wife about this.  She is pretty hesitant to fly right now.  So that leave out @UglyBob (though I would love to go back to Arizona) I am going to do some more planning today.  It would need to be 5-6 hours away by car to make this feasible.  

It's a little over your driving distance, but how about Harpers Ferry, WV?  Lots of outdoor activities - they're trying to build up ecotourism.   Also about a 10 hour drive is Hot Springs, AR.  But you have to be careful with a lot of parks limiting access amidst new covid restrictions.

If you don't mind hippies, Asheville is about your driving distance.  Lots of outdoor activities, but also a chance for your wife to enjoy some nice restaurants and less "cold" activities (even if you prefer to do takeout).

33 minutes ago, Kirby said:

It's a little over your driving distance, but how about Harpers Ferry, WV?  Lots of outdoor activities - they're trying to build up ecotourism.   Also about a 10 hour drive is Hot Springs, AR.  But you have to be careful with a lot of parks limiting access amidst new covid restrictions.

If you don't mind hippies, Asheville is about your driving distance.  Lots of outdoor activities, but also a chance for your wife to enjoy some nice restaurants and less "cold" activities (even if you prefer to do takeout).

I did think about Ashville.  I will look into Harper's Ferry.    Emmy's pitching coach is in Canton Georgia.  We may try to do something near there.  This was we could squeeze in a real-life pitching lesson or two (until now it's all been face time).  Gotta find some snow tubing in the southern smoky mountains not far from Canton.  Maybe rent a little cabin, some tubing, and some in life pitching lessons?

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea, talked to the wife about this.  She is pretty hesitant to fly right now.  So that leave out @UglyBob (though I would love to go back to Arizona) I am going to do some more planning today.  It would need to be 5-6 hours away by car to make this feasible.  

Another pitch for Biloxi

Average Water Temperature at Biloxi Beaches
January 57
February 60
March 64
April 71
May 76
June 82
July 84
August 85
September 82
October 74
November 66
December 60
  • Heart 1

We settled on a quaint little mountain town in Northern Georgia.  Ellijay.  It's an hour from her pitching coach.  It's a nice little 3 bedroom cabin on a creek with some small rapids surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mnts.  We will do lots of fun touristy stuff.

• Heart 1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, Parr8hed said:

Whatcha got?

You could visit your friend RG in NYC!  I will take you sex-toy shopping and feed you chili.

I do like the idea of experiences over objects, that is way more memorable.  Roadsue visited with the whole family, it was fun!  They seemed to have a good time, and it was great meeting everyone.

• Heart 3